Need Help buying new Bassy headphones!
Oct 17, 2011 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

IvanFromReno

New Head-Fier
Okay, So right now I have some Skullcandy Hesh & Skullcandy Gi (I know not the best but gotta start somewhere right?) and the bass is okay on the headphones but they arent cutting it for me anymore. I was looking to buy some head that literally will make your head vibrate because of the bass at full blast because thats what I seem to like and was wondering if I could get some recommendations for some headphones. I was hoping to keep them under $150 USD. I have no idea if this matters but I mainly listen to my music through on board sound on my desktop and on my phone (Evo 3d).

Oct 17, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #2 of 7
I'm a true, serious, hardcore basshead--one of the few but growing number of audiophile bassheads you'll run into around here.  I've been exactly where you are right now.

You posted this in the IEM section, so i'm going to list the IEMs I recommend first. Munitio Tek9 or Hippo VB (search for 2C12) will do it for you.  There are a lot of other IEMs around here that get touted for having some crazy-ass bass, but those two pretty much rule the roost in your price range.  You won't be disappointed with either one.

If you want full-size headphones, go with the Sony XB700.  It's well within your price range and will stomp the socks off the Skullcandies.  The Denon AH-D1100 is actually a better all-around basshead can, but it bumps up against your upper limit used.  The Ultrasone PRO650 or HFI-580 can both be had for less than $150, as well, and both are very, very good. 

Again, you'll hear about a bunch of other headphones like the Shure SRH-840 and some other randomness that people who are used to bass-light headphones think are basshead cans.  They are not.

If you list what kind of music you primarily listen to, I can help you narrow it down some more, but those are all of the really good entry-level bass cans.

Oct 17, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #3 of 7
I've also heard that Future Sonics Atrios can suit bass-heads.  Can't comment on them myself since I haven't heard them though.

Oct 17, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #5 of 7
No problem, man.  That's what I figured...I looked up the skullcandies and saw they were full-size; that's why I listed both.  :wink:

For those two genres (they're what I mostly listen to, as well), get the Sony XB700 or Ultrasone PRO650, depending on how much you want to spend.  They'll destroy anything else in that price bracket.  I know the list price on the PRO650 is way over your budget, but Amazon has a used pair up right now for $135, and you can find them on our sale forums all the time for ~$150.

If you had the cash, I'd tell you to go buy the Ultrasone PRO900 ($335) and delete your head-fi account.  :D  But, that not being an option, those two will be your best bets.

Oct 17, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #6 of 7
Panasonic HTF600, only $30, if you want great all around performance with huge bass.

Sony XB500/XB700, $50-80, if you want bass, bass, bass, and more bass. Also bass. And a bit more comfy with their stock pads than the Panasonics.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RP-HTF600-S-Step-Monitor/
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-XB500-Diaphragm-Driver-Headphones/dp/B001RB24S2/
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-XB700-Diaphragm-Driver-Headphones/dp/B001RB24SW/

All three are great or I wouldn't recommend them.

Quote:
Oh sorry I have no idea how these forums work or anything >.< but I was looking for over ear headphones and I would be listening to Electronica/Dubstep

Oct 17, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
I've also heard that Future Sonics Atrios can suit bass-heads.  Can't comment on them myself since I haven't heard them though.

Yeah they do, especially the new mg7 apparently the bass is tight, a lot more controlled, and it does feel like having subwoofer in ear (I own the original FS1 Atrio M8) - however, the fitting is not for everyone, I used the bi-flange tips for 3-4 years on it, and just recently tried the P series comply, and WOW, excellent isolation, and oh-so-comfy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back