Need help bi-amping or bi-wiring my new system
Jan 6, 2010 at 5:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

drummerdimitri

500+ Head-Fier
Hello people, I just bought myself a Marantz PM6003 amplifier, a pair of Wharfedale diamonds 10.1, 10 meters of Van Den Hul Clearwater cable that have been divided into four individual cables of equal length, and 16 Van Den Hul banana plugs. My question here is wether or not I can bi-amp my speakers to my amp or am I only stuck with bi-wiring? Also, the amplifier states that when systems A and B are used together, the system impedance should be greater than 8 Ohms, the speaker's nominal impedance is 6 Ohms, but will that be a problem for me? I've also provided a rear picture of my system so that someone could help me by probably drawing line to indicate how to bi-amp and how to bi-wire. I am totally new to the Hi-Fi world and need some guidance regarding this topic. Thanks!

Jan 6, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #3 of 20
I tried something that worked, but i am not sure if it's a very orthodox way of doing things. I connected the right speaker to the right positive and negative terminals on the amp and the left speaker to the positive and negative terminals on the amp. But now i am obliged to used both speaker at a time or else i'll only have the bass/midrange drivers playing or the tweeters playing by themselves. I don really mind that because i will be using them both anyway, but i was wondering if it was ok in terms of impedance. Thanks!

Jan 6, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #4 of 20
It's not positive and negative it's ground and signal. Sounds like there's no pins connecting your bi-wirable speakers posts when running single wires for ground and signal.

Jan 6, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #5 of 20
This is only a stereo amp so you can't bi-amp, only bi-wire. Unless I'm mistaken the two speaker systems, A & B, should only be switchable between, you're not getting twice the amplifcation.

If you want to bi-wire you should just use the outputs from one system, split each output into two, and run corresponding Left and Right inputs on the upper and lower portions of the speakers.

As far as bi-amping, if there are passive crossovers inside your speakers you would be best served vertically bi-amping, which would entail using two identical stereo amplifiers, one for the left speaker and one of the right speaker. Horizontal bi-amping, having one amp for the mids and one amp for the highs, works best with an active crossover. Below are examples

031998sbiamp.jpg

031998vbiamp.jpg

Jan 6, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #6 of 20
With my vintage Marantz, I have both A and B used for bi-wiring. I have tested both and it drives them to the same volume if I just use A or B so it was easier for me to use both and have them both enabled. If someone thinks this is bad, please tell me, but that is what I do.

The right tweeter goes into my A(right) ground/signal. The left tweeter goes into A(left) ground/signal. The right woofer goes into my B(right) signal/ground and my left woofer goes into my B(left) signal/ground.

Jan 6, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by drummerdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can I bi-wire when using banana plugs?

Your speakers need to have two inputs on the back. If they don't, you'll need to mod them to separate the inputs.

Jan 10, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #11 of 20
That is pretty much a bi-wiring setup. I did that for awhile with my old speakers. You won't hurt anything.

About the only thing it will accomplish is to bypass the crossover in the speaker.

I don't think you will hear a difference in your set up straight wire vs. bi-wiring, unless your speaker binder post jumpers are cruddy.

Jan 10, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #12 of 20
There is no point in biwiring. It makes as much sense as green CD marker treatments. Well, you do double the amount of wire, so I guess it CAN make a difference if you need really long lengths (which would be better served by using a thicker wire in the first place).

And you can't bypass the crossover in an passive speaker, by the way.

Jan 10, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

What if I connect the speakers this way, will it make any difference?

You don't want to do this because the second set of binding posts is meant to be used for a separate pair of speakers.

Jan 10, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #14 of 20
You see, i don't want to feel bad about having bought extra wires and banana plugs for nothing. In that case, what could I do with the extra wires and banana plugs? I mean if it doesn't hurt to keep it that way, then I wont change the setup. If i bi-wire, that would mean using all the wires but not using 6 of the original 16 banana plugs right? So what do you think I should do?

Jan 10, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

You see, i don't want to feel bad about having bought extra wires and banana plugs for nothing. In that case, what could I do with the extra wires and banana plugs? I mean if it doesn't hurt to keep it that way, then I wont change the setup. If i bi-wire, that would mean using all the wires but not using 6 of the original 16 banana plugs right? So what do you think I should do?

Just save the extra wire and banana plugs for later. Please don't try to rationalize using unnecessary parts. Put the metal jumpers back on the speakers and connect 1 wire per speaker. Should require 8 banana plugs total.

And don't do this:
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back