Need Help / Advise to build a Cost-No-Object Beta 22 Amp B22 Amp
Jun 27, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #16 of 86
Contact Jeff at glassjaraudio.com and get a kit if you want the easiest way to get a b22. Its a lot simpler than buying parts from multiple places plus you dont need to go scavage hunting for a bom. The only upgrade I can remember on Jeffs kits are capacitors on both the B22 and S22. It doesnt get more "maxxed" than that
smily_headphones1.gif
I would seriously recommend reading everything on this forum and headwize on the b22 threads. You will need it when you start building for sure. Better be armed to the teeth with information.

EDIT.

I used the Twisted Pear Audio Joshua Tree attenuator on my balanced build. I highly recommend it.

Jun 27, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #17 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMajestic2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Better be armed to the teeth with information.

best advice possible...

LOL @ n_maher and pabbi1

Jun 27, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #18 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMajestic2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Contact Jeff at glassjaraudio.com and get a kit if you want the easiest way to get a b22. Its a lot simpler than buying parts from multiple places plus you dont need to go scavage hunting for a bom. The only upgrade I can remember on Jeffs kits are capacitors on both the B22 and S22. It doesnt get more "maxxed" than that
smily_headphones1.gif
I would seriously recommend reading everything on this forum and headwize on the b22 threads. You will need it when you start building for sure. Better be armed to the teeth with information.

EDIT.

I used the Twisted Pear Audio Joshua Tree attenuator on my balanced build. I highly recommend it.

Hi MrMajestic2,

thanks for your pointers too.

I think I would follow as what you direct... and to go the safer route to get in touch with Glass Jar Audio.

It seems that the feedback that I am getting from this amp is that it is pretty hot (as in heat emitted) and it's a very transparent amp, despite it's relatively accessible parts in terms of pricing.

THANKS again for your kind words.

Regards

Jun 27, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #19 of 86
43sunsetslater, what do you mean by "Maxxed"? Apologies if I am wrong, but you sound like someone who has never actually built anything like this before and who just wants the best of the best without having to think about it/research it heavily. So what are you looking for? A reference quality SS amp, or an amp with a bunch of bells and whistles and recognizable audio names in the parts, etc?

Again, your best option here is to decide the setup of the beta22 you want (it's a very modular design) and go with your standard BOM as per AMB's site (Glass Jar Audio is an excellent site for one-stop shopping). Go with that; spend your extra money on nice casing and attenuator, etc.

Jun 27, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #20 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Naamanf was looking at about $1700 on parts, with a ParsMetal case, but I'm not sure with what attenuators. I personally used the Goldpoints in the BH (worth every penny), but I'm using these on the Bijou, and have used similar on m³ in the past, though not with smd resistors, so that will be an experiment - which is what all this is about.

Naamanf used Twisted Pear Audio Joshua Tree attenuators for volume control I believe.

Jun 27, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #21 of 86
I believe he did use the JT IIRC - were that they were still available... <sigh>

Temporary, I know...

Jun 28, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #23 of 86
Yes, I did hear your fine work on Steve's (swt61) build - just outstanding.

Jun 28, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #24 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by UglyJoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
43sunsetslater, what do you mean by "Maxxed"? Apologies if I am wrong, but you sound like someone who has never actually built anything like this before and who just wants the best of the best without having to think about it/research it heavily. So what are you looking for? A reference quality SS amp, or an amp with a bunch of bells and whistles and recognizable audio names in the parts, etc?

Again, your best option here is to decide the setup of the beta22 you want (it's a very modular design) and go with your standard BOM as per AMB's site (Glass Jar Audio is an excellent site for one-stop shopping). Go with that; spend your extra money on nice casing and attenuator, etc.

Yes, as a matter of fact, this would be my first built.

I have done some small soldering jobs in school.

And I am thinking of building a reference quality SS amp with brand name parts by following the list of parts that earlier DIYers have used in their maxxed-out formulas for the B22 and S22 SS amp.

There seems to be a sin to open a thread to look for a listed BOM materials of a B22 and S22 amp and psu set-up.

Honestly, had it been accessible that easily without the info scattered over 3 websites where each thread is over 10 - 20 pages long, it would be very easy for a user like me to just copy and paste the 'formula' of an upgraded / maxxed out DIY SS Amp. Henceforth is my request to be pointed out in a user-friendly format of a upgraded 'formula'.

If the readers' following posts are of such nature,

1. do your own research,
2. implying that I am lazy,

I thank you for your time for reading this thread, which I apologise for wasting your time. And seriously urge you not to waste any more of your precious time by replying the above 2 points to me.

I am simply seeking for advice from people who are experienced and are willing to give me their advice on their own set-ups to make my DIY route easier. (which is the whole purpose of an open-source community, ain't it?)

Thanks.

Regards

Jun 28, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #25 of 86
43sunsetslater, if you just follow the parts list at the β22 and σ22 websites, you will have a reference-quality amplifier. This design, unlike many others, does not need boutique parts to guild the lily. The only things you need to decide on are the volume control (a high-end pot like the Alps RK40 or TKD, a stepped attenuator, or something else), and jacks/connectors/case. Don't bother with "maxx"ing anything on the amp or power supply boards, or you'd just be wasting money.

Jun 28, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #27 of 86
43sunsetslater, you really might want to consider building something smaller first. Having a external power supply and multiple boards to complete the β22 it is a intense build. It is next on my build list and I have done about 5 months of research on it. If there has been a question it has been response in one of the forums. I have printed off the schematic's, drilling templates, and many other things that other users have encountered.

Also there are many tools that will be needed.

Jun 28, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #28 of 86
Hi Listen2this1,

fortunately on my side, I do have a full workshop support, which allows me to tap on...

As such, the metalworking part is not a problem for me.

No wood though, as I prefer aluminium chasis.

Basically, I got the drilling covered. At the same time, I don't have to worry about building a chasis... as I am basically PCB board orientated, as long as I finishing laying the PCB boards for the B22, E22 and S22... I should be pretty much ready for purchasing a nice 2 chasis aluminium solution...

My Only Worry, is if I would kill myself in the process on laying the PCB board.... but... the thought of getting a reference SS Class A amp at say US$1500 is just too desirable!

Other than that... I basically have to look into the purchase of soldering equipments... the electronic or electric parts... would be the things I have to purchase.

Jun 28, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #29 of 86
Just one thing,

Gain of 2 , 5 , 11 .

Gain of 2 means, I need to turn up the volume knob ALOT for a significant amount of volume, right? as the resistance used for the gain seems to be higher.

Meanwhile, Gain of 11 means, if I just turn the volume knob by one degree, it would more than likely be very loud, due to the fact that the resistance used is that Gain 11 configuration is very small (relative to Gain 2 X )

Am I right?

As such, I got a Low Impedance Headphone 32 ohms, I should go for Gain 2 or 5 ?

Jun 28, 2008 at 7:14 AM Post #30 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by 43sunsetslater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As such, I got a Low Impedance Headphone 32 ohms, I should go for Gain 2 or 5 ?

Yes, but it also depends on the actual sensitivity of your headphones, and the output level of your source. As long as you don't have ultra-sensitive IEMs, I find that gain of 5 is a good compromise that fits most situations (even many high impedance headphones work well too).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back