Need help about Windows 10 resampling
Jul 19, 2020 at 6:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ScareDe2

500+ Head-Fier
I would like Youtube to take exclusive control of Windows mixer. I have the application exclusive mode enabled but I am not sure this work with Youtube, correct me if I am wrong. How to bypass this mixer and watch any web content without Windows doing any resampling? Thanks for help!

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #2 of 5
I would like Youtube to take exclusive control of Windows mixer. I have the application exclusive mode enabled but I am not sure this work with Youtube, correct me if I am wrong. How to bypass this mixer and watch any web content without Windows doing any resampling? Thanks for help!

It could be that you're confusing a couple of things? Exclusive mode guarantees exclusive mode to the program from other programs and inputs (interrupts), not the operating system. It's Windows itself that manages the exclusive mode, so it's still going to do what it's going to do beyond stopping that interference.

Bypassing the "mixer" and preventing Windows from resampling a music stream is in the sound driver itself. For that, you need a sound driver that uses ASIO or WASAPI. A sound driver of that sort will guarantee that Windows is NOT resampling the music, whether you are running a music player (or YouTube) in exclusive mode or not.

For instance, you can be running an ASIO/WASAPI driver with a music player and Windows can interrupt the music stream if resources are pushed, resulting in a drop out of the music. This can happen under certain scenarios whether you are running a Wasapi driver or not.

Conversely, you can run exclusive mode on a program (the program must allow it - many don't), but not a Wasapi/ASIO driver. This may result in your music stream never suffering an interruption, but Windows might be re-sampling the music all the time.

Jul 20, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #3 of 5

The best way to avoid Windows oversampling is to set the Windows sound control to 44.1/16. That will cover most music that goes through Windows audio stack.

As @tomb said you need to have a device with its own ASIO or WASAPI drivers to avoid the Windows audio stack entirely and you will not have the option with web anything. Usually you get these kinds of drivers if you buy a DAC and they are specific to that DAC, cannot be used by other apps or devices.

Jul 20, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #4 of 5
Is there a way to know the samplerate of any content watched on Youtube?

Jul 21, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #5 of 5
Is there a way to know the samplerate of any content watched on Youtube?

Some DACs have sample rate and bit depth displays. If you don't have a separate DAC I am not sure how to determine it but there is probably some Windows app that will tell you. Hopefully somebody who knows will chime in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back