Need help - $800 budget
Dec 27, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #17 of 38
Presumably it makes it easier to hear the direction of sounds. But I recommend reading this thread where many headphones are compared in detail for competitive and immersion gaming, including the DT880 and the DT990.

Dec 27, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #18 of 38
I did read that topic, but I still have my doubts. As an open can, a DT990 should have a larger soundstage than the DT880's, therefore making 3 dimentional imagery more accurate. However, the DT880 apparently sports a more balanced sound, therefore making footsteps more audible. The great dilemma: which headphones will allow me to more easily find my enemies through sound alone?

Dec 27, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #19 of 38
Wanting to hear footsteps AND wanting to hear powerful explosions? The big Mad Lust Envy thread considers those mutually exclusive...I'm not sure you could get both in one headphone, at least not without using an EQ to drop the bass.

$800 easily buys a Stax setup, which works phenomenally well with binaural surround filters like Dolby Headphone, but coming from a bassy headphone like the D2000, I'm not sure you'd like electrostatics in general. Quoth a Headphiles review:

Quote:
First thing I have to tell you. If you are, like me, coming from a dynamic background you have to leave your preconceived notion of presentation of bass behind. The stax system does not push air into your ear canal, in fact it presents it just outside your ear giving a slightly brighter presentation, fantastic detail and attack but perhaps not any bass slam.

Now when I say bass slam I mean oomph not bass itself. This is what I mean - you have to re-educate yourself on how bass is really presented to the listener as more of an extension into the mix to give depth where needed or to emphasize a moment. This means you understand bass is there - in shed loads if I may say so, but not in a slam slam manner, but more in a deep cavernous manner designed to broaden what already is a massive sound stage.

I'd say the closest solution to your dilemma is to switch between two different headphones. One for rumbling, visceral explosions, one for "competitive footstep listening" as a certain basshead likes to put it.

Dec 27, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #20 of 38

Quote:
The great dilemma: which headphones will allow me to more easily find my enemies through sound alone?

A closed headphone imo. With open headphone too much ambient noise interferes for the correct positioning of playground. With games, i mainly use closed headphone, specially with first batch of PS3 and X360,lol.

Pro900 is excellent with game, i also tried XB1000 and its very good, but can be sweaty with time.

Dec 27, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #22 of 38
Yes don't got for the HE-500 as there will be imaging problems although it will be the clearest headphone of the bunch.  I find it straight that someone will find them uncomfortable though as the headphone is fully adjustable; they must be doing something wrong.  It is a very comfortable headphone especially for the weight, it feels like any other comfortable headphone to me.

In any case, you are probably better off with a DT880 or 990, and it really depends on what you want more of.  There are going to be trade offs either way.  That's how midfi headphones are.  Maybe save up a bit more and get a T1 instead?  And get an decent amp since is it 600 ohm.  There would be no compromises at that point and it is leagues ahead of the DT880.

Dec 27, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #23 of 38

Quote:
You mean ambient noise from the game or from outside?

Yes, for example, video game with first batch xb360 its almost impossible with an open headphone,lol, too noisy.

Dec 27, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #24 of 38
as a gamer like yourself -are you not forgetting to state whether you want a closed or open can for lan events??/

mad lust envys guide is a must

the top voted are the

701s
ad-700
and the 880s

but they are all open
plus tbh if your gunna spend the money soley on headphones for gaming then ..
buy 1 pair for gaming -$200 mark (or a closed can marketed for fps Logitech g35s)
and spend the rest on other audio goodies - new tube amp to feed your denons or a new set of high end phones.

Dec 27, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #25 of 38
I will be gaming at home, in my room, where no one can disturb me and there is very little to preocupy with outside noises. I am leaning more towards the DT 880's as I have read that the treble in the 990's can get rather sharp and the bass can get fatiguing. Can anyone confirm this? What I really need to know, though, is which headphones are better for competitive FPS gaming, the DT880's or the DT990's?
Thanks for all the help.

Dec 28, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #27 of 38
I have some 32ohm beyer 880s and they are fatasic for long hourts spent gaming - mainly bf2/3 and some cs:s however i usually swithch to my 558s for cs as theyseem to have a problem sometimes with the rear sounds.

880s are truely fantastiic thought and i would definately recomend them. So comfortable.

Dec 28, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #29 of 38
Stealthbr.
Why not just get the Audio Technica ATH-AD700s for FPS gaming?
They are bass light, which makes them great for long term gaming & listening.
It saves you cash.
Use the D2000 for everything else, maybe add some extra padding.

Dec 28, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #30 of 38

Quote:
I will be gaming at home, in my room, where no one can disturb me and there is very little to preocupy with outside noises. I am leaning more towards the DT 880's as I have read that the treble in the 990's can get rather sharp and the bass can get fatiguing. Can anyone confirm this? What I really need to know, though, is which headphones are better for competitive FPS gaming, the DT880's or the DT990's?
Thanks for all the help.

This isn't true for everyone, it really depends on the person. I have had no issues with it being sharp or fatiguing in any way unless my ears are sensitive from something else or I have a massive headache, but this would probably be true regardless of the headphone. I have seen other people claim they don't experience it, and some that have. I think its really a part of the love it or hate it deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back