Need headphone with good bass/soundstage.... Closed back?
Oct 10, 2015 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

DwopDaBass

New Head-Fier
So I have a rather unique situation on my hands. I am looking for a pair of headphone with good sound stage and decent bass extension that are closed back headphones. The reason being is I volunteer at a local church who are in need of a good pair of headphones, the problem is is that there sound board and equipment are in the same room as the music. We need a good pair that will isolate well, so open or simi-open back headphones are out of the question. The reason for the soundstage/bass is that is my personal preference for headphones, and since I am buying theses for both church and personal use I would like to listen to them at home when I am not there.

I have a limited budget of 200 USD.I have only heard good thing about the DT 770 pro, however it seems that anything above 32OHM versions seem to fluctuate a lot in price and constantly rise above 200 dollars. If you guys have any suggestions on other alternatives it would be really helpful.

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #2 of 13
Bump

Just want to know if anyone has a better pair for me than the DT770 Pro, they are on amazon now for under 200 so I think I will pick them up soon unless there is something that would suit my taste more. Also, what would be a good AMP to drive the DT770 250Ohm versions, I was thinking about getting a cheap FiiO A3, if this will be enough or if there is something better around 70 dollars that you would recommend that would be greatly appreciated.

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #3 of 13
The DT 770 Pro is a safe choice, as it meets all of your requirements and is from a respected brand.

Nov 22, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #4 of 13
Hi! I'm new here. I'm updating this old thread because I need the same features.
I'm listening rock and metal first of all, but I don't regret classical (symphonies and chamber music) and jazz.
I'm searching for a full-size headphones, closed back, with a soundstage as wide as possible and with fast bass.
The budget is lower than 400$ (350€), but with black Friday I can find something better.
I fell in love with the meze99 classic but I read that they are warm and bassy, and I'm searching for a neutral ones.
My researches on this forum drive me to the shure SRH1540 but they're little pricy.
Other idea?
How many ohms I could drive with a fiio btr5?
Thank you very much.

Nov 22, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #5 of 13
Hi! I'm new here. I'm updating this old thread because I need the same features.
I'm listening rock and metal first of all, but I don't regret classical (symphonies and chamber music) and jazz.
I'm searching for a full-size headphones, closed back, with a soundstage as wide as possible and with fast bass.
The budget is lower than 400$ (350€), but with black Friday I can find something better.
I fell in love with the meze99 classic but I read that they are warm and bassy, and I'm searching for a neutral ones.
My researches on this forum drive me to the shure SRH1540 but they're little pricy.
Other idea?
How many ohms I could drive with a fiio btr5?
Thank you very much.

Check out the Meze Neo and stock 2.5mm cable to make the most of what the FiiO BTR5 offers:

https://www.amazon.it/99-Neo-Cuffie...id=1637560573&sprefix=meze+neo,aps,213&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.it/Meze-MEZ-M99C...11?keywords=MEZE+AUDIO&qid=1637560680&sr=8-11

Nov 22, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #6 of 13
I use the Beyerdynamic mmx300 and the silver dt770 pads have denser foam and really help with bass. You can get a pair used on eBay really cheap sometimes if you have use of an excellent quality mic. Great detail and easy to drive. They do best with 3 volts, but any gaming card or mild amp does that. I wouldn't get the 80 ohm dt770, had them but didn't like them as much.

Nov 22, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #9 of 13
Meze Neo is a SERIOUSLY bassy headphone.
There is no cable in the known universe that will make it anywhere close to neutral.
Generally, amplifiers have the ability change a headphone's tonality in uncommon circumstances with various output impedances.
Cables have never been documented to significantly change the tonality of a headphone.

Cables have no effect on soundstage. They have no way of interacting with or changing how sound waves travel from a transducer to your ear.

Meze Neo soundstage is also only slightly above average for a closed-back headphone.

Nov 22, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #10 of 13
Bump

Just want to know if anyone has a better pair for me than the DT770 Pro, they are on amazon now for under 200 so I think I will pick them up soon unless there is something that would suit my taste more. Also, what would be a good AMP to drive the DT770 250Ohm versions, I was thinking about getting a cheap FiiO A3, if this will be enough or if there is something better around 70 dollars that you would recommend that would be greatly appreciated.
DT770 has a strong treble emphasis that might make your music sound tinny with boomy bass. If you don't want that level of treble, I would either go with AKG K371 or Creative Aurvana Live SE.

Nov 23, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #11 of 13
There is no cable in the known universe that will make it anywhere close to neutral.
Generally, amplifiers have the ability change a headphone's tonality in uncommon circumstances with various output impedances.
Cables have never been documented to significantly change the tonality of a headphone.

Cables have no effect on soundstage. They have no way of interacting with or changing how sound waves travel from a transducer to your ear.

Meze Neo soundstage is also only slightly above average for a closed-back headphone.
Yep. I think meze is not for Me.

Nov 23, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #12 of 13

So which one is more bassy?
Meze 99 Neo
Meze 99 Classics

Or are they both equal sounding in regards to sub bass, and mid bass?

Nov 24, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #13 of 13
So which one is more bassy?
Meze 99 Neo
Meze 99 Classics

Or are they both equal sounding in regards to sub bass, and mid bass?
Sub bass is equal, Neo has marginally more mid-bass, but I think most people wouldn't hear any significant difference between the two since it's so subtle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back