Need Headphone Suggestions for Hard Rock/Metal
Sep 7, 2019 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

FourT6and2

100+ Head-Fier
To keep this simple, the reference tracks I'm using to help me decide are:

Tesseract: "Nocturne"
Tool: "Pneuma" and "Chocolate Chip Trip" (and pretty much any other Tool track)

The music I have is 24 bit, 96K AIFF. Listening on Macbook Pro through either iTunes or VLC. Been comparing with and without Dragonfly Cobalt. As far as the Dragonfly goes, I really don't hear a difference with it or without it. It does pump up the volume a bit, but that's it. I can get to the same place with just my laptop if I raise the volume a few notches. No big deal. But with how everybody says a DAC is a must, I guess I don't get it. No tonal difference. No difference in clarity, etc. Oh well.

Anyway, the headphones I currently have and A/Bing are:

Sony MDR-Z7M2
Focal Elear
Focal Elegia

I'm wondering if there are any other headphones I should look at that might combine the qualities I like of each? The Sonys have the best bass by far. It's deep and lush and pronounced. The highs are smooth. But the mid range is a bit scooped subdued compared to the Focals. The Elegia has a killer mid range. It's snappy and forward. But it really has zero low end compared to the Sony. If I switch from the Sony to the Elegia mid-song, it sounds like I've switched over to an AM radio until my ears adjust. The Elegia has a slightly better low end, but it's mid range is a little scooped like the Sony. But it has more air and space to the music (I'm guessing due to the open back design).

So, I like the Sony's low end, the Elegia's mid range snap, and the Elear's spaciousness and sweetness in the highs. Anything out there I should look at? If I had to pick just one of the three to stick with, I suppose it'd be the Sony at this point.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #2 of 28
Er, prospective budget? Fairly important to set some parameters there before anyone can recommend anything, otherwise for rock and metal I'm just going to recommend an Abyss Phi TC and like $10-15k worth of DAC and amp to pair with it.

Sep 7, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #3 of 28
Er, prospective budget? Fairly important to set some parameters there before anyone can recommend anything, otherwise for rock and metal I'm just going to recommend an Abyss Phi TC and like $10-15k worth of DAC and amp to pair with it.

Well the headphones I have are under $1K. I don't see myself going much higher. $1,200? If it's a great pair maybe. As far as DACs go, I haven't noticed a single bit of difference with the Dragonfly. I have a DacMagic XS on the way as well to try out. But I don't have the space for a dedicated larger desktop DAC unit. So if a different DAC is recommended, it would have to be something plug-and-play and small. Let's just keep it to headphones for now.

Sep 8, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #4 of 28
Audeze and ZMF have some headphones within that price range, both brands that have their followers in listeners to rock and metal and probably worth seeking an audition with if possible. You might like to pose this question in the Headphones for metal thread, I'm sure you'll get plenty of input there.

Sep 8, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #5 of 28
Focal Elear. I've owned it. Best HP for visceral slam I've ever owned, but beware-may become a bit fatiguing with extended listening.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #6 of 28
Audeze and ZMF have some headphones within that price range, both brands that have their followers in listeners to rock and metal and probably worth seeking an audition with if possible. You might like to pose this question in the Headphones for metal thread, I'm sure you'll get plenty of input there.

Cool, thanks. I gave the Audeze LCD-2C closed back cans a demo in a store and they seemed ok. Will look into those two brands a bit more and check out that thread.

Sep 8, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #7 of 28
Focal Elear. I've owned it. Best HP for visceral slam I've ever owned, but beware-may become a bit fatiguing with extended listening.

Yeah, I have the Elear... lol. My question was I have the Elear, Elegia and the Sony and I like aspects of all three and was wondering if there's something out there that sort of combines what I like of each one.

Sep 8, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #8 of 28
You may want to check out my Youtube channel. I listen to a ton of metal,hard rock,acid rock,heavy psych etc.
The one headphone that pops into my head would be either the ZMF Atticus or the ZMF Aeolus. Amping these correctly is crucial though.

Sep 8, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #9 of 28
You may want to check out my Youtube channel. I listen to a ton of metal,hard rock,acid rock,heavy psych etc.
The one headphone that pops into my head would be either the ZMF Atticus or the ZMF Aeolus. Amping these correctly is crucial though.

Thanks, will have a look. ZMF's website is a bit... lacking... when it comes to the technical differences between all their models.

Sep 8, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #10 of 28
Thanks, will have a look. ZMF's website is a bit... lacking... when it comes to the technical differences between all their models.

All of ZMF's dynamic driver headphones are known for their fantastic mids...its a given at this point. I dont think Zach knows how to tune a headphone with crap mids.

The only ZMF I have little to no experience with is the Eikon. All the others,including the yet to be released Verite closed I either own,or had on loan.

Any specific questions,just holler.

Sep 8, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #11 of 28
Listen for details and nuances when testing back and forth
What is your YouTube channel?

Sep 8, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #12 of 28
Listen for details and nuances when testing back and forth

What is your YouTube channel?

LOL! Dude its in big green letters right below this sentence. :wink:

Sep 8, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #14 of 28

Users who are viewing this thread

Back