Need Headphone Recommendations
Apr 11, 2012 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

stinkysbsc

Head-Fier
I need something that isn't too big, because I plan to use these at school and when I am travelling and what-not. For example, I got the JVC-RX700 and someone informed me that they were small enough to wear outside... lets just say that, that guy should go die in a hole! I don't want to look like an idiot when I wear these things outside! Also, they need to be closed-back, because I need the added isolation and it can't leak too much sound. I would also love them to be comfortable. I like to listen to rock, electronic and dance music, and I want something nice and aggressive and powerful, with strong bass. I don't want these to be too analytical, but instead fun. It would be great if they were easily driven by an iPod Classic, however I might be willing to spend around $100 on a portable amp/dac like the iBasso DE-ZERO, but I can't reason with myself to spend more... My budget for the headphones themselves would be less than $200, this $200 should include the headphones and any mods like velour pads and so forth... So in summary...

1. Easy to drive
  2. $200 MAX
  3. Comfortable
  4. Closed-back
  5. Decent isolation
  6. Fairly portable
  7. Aggressive and fun sound
  8. Strong bass
  9. Good for rock, dance and electronica

Apr 11, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #3 of 14
Thanks for the quick reply! I might be able to get these as they are right on the borderline of my budget. Any cheaper options?

Apr 11, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #4 of 14

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply! I might be able to get these as they are right on the borderline of my budget. Any cheaper options?

Yes--but they are not as good.  See these buying guides:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/buying-guide-headphones-by-price-range

and

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

Apr 11, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #5 of 14
There are the solutions which are available to me at this point... 

Sony MDR-V6 + DT250 Pads ~$120
Audio Technica ATH-PRO700 ~$165
Audio Technica ATH-M50 ~$180
Ultrasone HFI-580 ~$190
Ultrasone HFI-780 ~$200

Apr 11, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
There are a couple solutions which are interesting me at this point... 

That's an odd pairing.  The AT is a serious basshead can and the Sony is an aging classic at the entry level for neutral sound.

Apr 11, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
That's an odd pairing.  The AT is a serious basshead can and the Sony is an aging classic at the entry level for neutral sound.

haha damnit :p well here is my UPDATED list of options...

Ultrasone HFI-550 ~$125
Ultrasone HFI-580 ~$190
Ultrasone HFI-780 ~$200

I chose this list because all of these seem to fit my requirements, it's just that I need to figure out which one will be the most worth it to me... I am going to look into the impedance levels of these cans so I can see which one may be better for me, as I will just be running them through my iPod most of the time... 

Apr 11, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
There are the solutions which are available to me at this point... 

Ultrasone HFI-580 ~$190
Ultrasone HFI-780 ~$200

The two you added (other than the 780 which I mentioned earlier)--the M50 and HIFI 580 are both basshead cans with a "V" shaped EQ.

Apr 11, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
The two you added (other than the 780 which I mentioned earlier)--the M50 and HIFI 580 are both basshead cans with a "V" shaped EQ.

I wouldn't mind some nice, strong bass because of the dance and electronica.... however, I have heard that these headphones do have a V shaped EQ, but I am unaware of how that will affect its performance in rock music...

Apr 11, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
It can greatly affect rock performance. Recessed upper midrange can cause electric guitars to lose much of their edge and crunch.

Ahhhh OK! So I need something with a flat EQ, but that is aggressive and powerful and that has nice, strong bass. I am going to do some more research and I will list my possible solutions so we can examine them :)

Apr 11, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #13 of 14

Quote:
d2k...done!!

Needs strong isolation, and rugged enough to be portable.  Also needs to be sub $200.

D2K are great headphones - but don't meet the criteria.

I hate to say this - because I personally don't like the M50 - but with OP's criteria, that's the headphone that springs to mind .......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back