need headphone recommendations for all types of music with ipod (no external amp)
Sep 28, 2005 at 5:14 PM Post #16 of 29
Grados are the best choice for non-earbuds and no amp out of the ipod. The PS1s sound GREAT directly out of the ipod. They sound better amped, but I've not heard any headphones that sound as good without an amp.

Sep 28, 2005 at 5:16 PM Post #17 of 29
I have a similar set-up (ipod with er6i's). What kind of upgrade would the open phones be to this set-up? Better than the etys?

Sep 28, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #18 of 29
Open phones will get you better soundstage, more "air", and less ear wax on the headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 28, 2005 at 5:19 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
Grados are the best choice for non-earbuds and no amp out of the ipod. The PS1s sound GREAT directly out of the ipod. They sound better amped, but I've not heard any headphones that sound as good without an amp.

1400$! Couldn't I just pay a band to play for me for less? Something below $200 would be nice, or can I up the etys more with a headroom amp?

Sep 28, 2005 at 5:20 PM Post #20 of 29
I am not sure what you mean by better then the etys.. I would need some more details.

I find the Grado RS-1s can be powered by the ipod but not as well as the A900s. And there was a real difference when amping the RS-1s, compared to the A900s. One of the knocks against A900s, is even with the best amps they sound the same. I think it goes to show how good they sound unamped and was the reason why Lindrone suggested they were the best all-round headphone for under $200 dollars.

I also add the soundstage of the A900 is much larger then the RS-1s or lower models in the Grado Family.

Sep 28, 2005 at 5:25 PM Post #21 of 29
chrisfromalbany said:
I am not sure what you mean by better then the etys.. I would need some more details.

I just mean better sound, with a little isolation. I am just getting into 'phones and don't want to step down from the er6i sound just to get full size cans. I would like my next pair to blow me away like the etys have. Advice?

Sep 28, 2005 at 5:50 PM Post #22 of 29
coco said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany

I just mean better sound, with a little isolation. I am just getting into 'phones and don't want to step down from the er6i sound just to get full size cans. I would like my next pair to blow me away like the etys have. Advice?

Well the issue is that you already have a good headphone. er6i are one of my personal favorites and I got my mom a pair a few months ago.

Er6i are great when it comes to details in the music and you aren't going to find a headphone besides high end headphones like SA5000s that are going to have even more details.

But the ety's line is lacking bass and some musical sweetness. The ety's sound is dry and analyical.

Grado's are a good choice for a change SR225 and HF-1s. They aren't going to have more details then the er6i but have this color and more bass. They will sound better with an amp, and if you listen to rock or trance/dance music they may be the way to go. Grado have there mids rised.

A900s which I had for 6 months until I got an amp and then sold them. They have more details then Grado line and maybe about the same er6i. It is questionable. There mids are midly recessed but have nice bass and high treble. They are less colored headphone then Grado's. It really depends if you like the coloring of not. Or if you want the bass. There are many other headphones I can think of but these are the two that I choose to talk about. Do a search to find more.

Enjoy..

Chris

Sep 28, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3bavboys
eggosmile.gif
i've decided to buy the pocketamp (pa2v2) too
so
how does that change the headphone decision choice?

My SR225's sound fantastic with the PA2V2! Really surprised the heck outa me but keep in mind this is my first amp so my experience is limited.

Sep 28, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3bavboys
eggosmile.gif
i've decided to buy the pocketamp (pa2v2) too
so
how does that change the headphone decision choice?

Well, a good choice nonetheless, but Chris was right: the A900 don’t improve significantly with amplification. So, I guess, don’t get the A900.
biggrin.gif

(My advice was based more along the lines that because you're using it at home, you'll be using the dock line out this thread )

Sep 28, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by arisen

Getting A900’s for the Ipod headphone out, is to me like getting a $2000 exhaust for a Chevrolet Geo.

LOL Thats the funniest thing I heard all day. The funniest part is that its true

Oct 2, 2005 at 6:10 PM Post #29 of 29
Hey what about the Alessandro 'phones. The MS 1 is pretty tempting. $99 shipped. I don't want to get an amp right away but would like that option down the road. Would the MS 1s compete with the er6i set up? I would like a big detailed sound from an ipod without trading in the car. Thanks Headfiers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back