Need headphone advice, please help!
Dec 4, 2012 at 9:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Archernick

New Head-Fier
OK I want to buy a pair of quality headphones for my new Asus Xonar Essence STX. 

I'm a games journalist so having good audio is important to me when judging any sort of game. But I also listen to music as I write so I need headphones that can do both.

I'm not as bothered as having a competitive edge as opposed to being completely immersed in my games and music. Having any competitive edge is only a bonus.

Currently I'm looking at the AKG Q 701's and the Sennheiser HD650's. Both are the same price here in the UK. Anyone got either of these pairs? 

I would also like to know about models below these two, such as the AKG K 701's and the 555's. What exactly am I loosing out on over spending less cash.

I've read Mad Envy's guide and it has helped me out a bunch. I should note though that I'm game on my PC and not consoles. 

Lastly I think I'm going to pick up the Antlion Modmic as it's quality is superb, but will the magnets damage headphones? Also because of their shortage and the international shipping I will require, can anyone reccomend me a cheap clip on mic I can use until it arrives?

Thanks a bunch for this! I need to order the headphones within the next 4 hours to ensure I get them with my new soundcard.

Dec 4, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #2 of 7
For a good balance between competitive and immersive gaming, as well as handling a wide range of music, look into Ultrasone HFI-2400 and Beyerdynamic DT990.

Also, if you do handle games on a regular basis, as well as wanting great music playback, I'd advise you to get a Creative X-Fi Titanium HD instead of the Asus Xonar Essence STX.

Dec 4, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
For a good balance between competitive and immersive gaming, as well as handling a wide range of music, look into Ultrasone HFI-2400 and Beyerdynamic DT990.

Also, if you do handle games on a regular basis, as well as wanting great music playback, I'd advise you to get a Creative X-Fi Titanium HD instead of the Asus Xonar Essence STX.

I've already bought the Essence STX as it was on a really good deal compared to the Tit HD. 

I'm just torn between the two headphones I've mentioned. I heard the HD650 is more of a balanced headphone compared to the Q701, but then it also has a more veiled sound.

Dec 4, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #4 of 7
Are you limited to those two headphones?

Dec 4, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
No, but after looking at headphones the past three days I think those are the two I am likely to choose from. I just wanted to hear from someone who has tried both.

Have not tried either headphone.
The Q701 seems to more recommended for gaming.
The Seen HD650 seems to be liked for classical music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back