Need good closed backs for around $100
Aug 28, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #32 of 35
There was an issue with the order (ordering through Paypal using a card) so it didn't go through and I decided not to get the DT770s. I realize no closed back headphone is going to have a sound that I like, and soundstage is important. I will probably find good open backs as I've found the A/C noise isn't SO bad that I cannot tune it out with more volume, and it's almost time to shut it off for the year anyway. So, I'm probably going to cheap out on a set of closed backs, or stick with the Monoprice 8323 headphones I have now, then spend money on good open backs. Maybe DT990s since there's a lot of mods for those, they have really good sound stage, and have the same build quality as the 770s.
Closed back never has the same soundstage potential as open back. That said, there are open back headphones that lack soundstage, it's not a guarantee.

On another note, soundstage is directly related to frequency response in the treble range. Dark, mellow or warm headphones generally have less soundstage. Buying a DT-770 and lowering its treble will shrink its soundstage.

But then you seem to be looking primarily for a gaming headset. (?) Soundstage is heavily overrated for gaming - having too much soundstage is going to confuse you and won't help. And you seem to have done fine with IEM's for gaming - and they also aren't necessarily soundstage monsters. BreaK (Used to be competition pubg Twitch streamer and now highly ranked Eft streamer) uses an ATH R70x. These open backs are known to not have the best soundstage. But BreaK loves them and they clearly aren't handicapping him...

You also said you want "flat, accurate, and detailed". DT-770 is going to give you detail, but it's far from flat and accurate. DT-990 is almost as far from "flat, accurate" as it gets... Personally I switched to K371 after 5 years of DT-770 and I don't know how I lived with the Beyerdynamic treble peak for that long. The K371 offers better tonal balance and isn't lacking in any area. It has the right amount of bass, mids and treble, enough detail retrieval for its price, quite a bit of passive isolation, and doesn't need an amp. I like it for music and multimedia. I also find them comfortable for long sessions. If I were you I'd seriously consider them.

Sep 2, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #34 of 35
I'm not sure if you've purchased some already but I have an interesting option for you. Get some Monoprice Modern Retros and some clay and foam (I had some leftover from the Mayflower kit I got for my T50RP's) buy some angled pads from Accessory House on Amazon for $35. Add the clay and foam to the enclosure and add some clay to the magnet side of the driver. Then throw on those Accessory House pads. I recently did this and I'm astonished. These now sound better than my modded T50RP's. So much so that I'm about to put my T50's up for sale. Bass is no longer boomy, mids are no longer recessed and treble isn't as peaky. And the Accessory House pads sound better than Brainwavz XL. With the XL's your ear is too close to the driver and instrument separation suffers. The angled Accessory House pads keep bass elevated while also provided good separation of the sound. I am amazed at how good these sound.

Feb 3, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #35 of 35
I bought a pair of Yamaha MT5s for the princely sum of £37 english pounds. Unopened box from ebay so I got lucky, but they sound impressive out of the box. I've made a 10 point PEQ curve for them, and they are really impressive. You can drive these things really hard and they don't fall apart, but the EQ is mostly about reducing the bass, boosting the upper mids and treble, so power is never an issue. Once you get the presence band correctly set up there is detail and subtley there, and really impressive bass slam. They're as "good" as my EQd HD560s and 325e, both much more expensive phones, for late night listening to EDM they are perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back