Need good closed backs for around $100
Aug 19, 2021 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Ulfrinn

New Head-Fier
I've been using IEMs exclusively for music and gaming over the past year, however, I've developed some issues that may indicate inner ear problems that could possibly be due to long term use of IEMs, so I've made the decision to switch back to using headphones. However, I am not in a quiet environment, and open-backs would be too distracting, I have to have closed.

My XLR interface's DAC can do good with 80ohms, Possibly 150 tops, and the 16ohm IEMs I use now still sound good through them as well, so quite the range. But I want to be clear, I am not a bass head. I do not want artificially boosted bass, I don't want a V shaped EQ. I want flat, accurate, and detailed.

The ATH-M40X are the first things that pop into mind. But I'm sure there are other options in the price range.

Aug 20, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #3 of 35
If you can stretch your budget a little, or maybe consider buying used, the AKG k371 are well-regarded. Or the K361 if you really need to stick close to $100, but the K371 are worth the upgrade

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #4 of 35
The frequency response on the K371's looks very flat. How is the sound stage and imaging though because I hear for $150, and with the right pads you can get very good results from DT770s. I've just never liked big round earpads myself as I find they leave open areas behind the ears. I am willing to stretch the budget, if it's well worth it.

Aug 20, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #5 of 35
The frequency response on the K371's looks very flat. How is the sound stage and imaging though because I hear for $150, and with the right pads you can get very good results from DT770s. I've just never liked big round earpads myself as I find they leave open areas behind the ears. I am willing to stretch the budget, if it's well worth it.

I haven't compared them directly side-by-side, but by my memory imaging and sense of soundstage are better with the DT770. There is a trade-off there though, because the K371s sound much more balanced in terms of frequency response.

Aug 20, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #6 of 35
I am reading some K361 vs K371 comparisons. It seems comparable to the M40X vs M50X in the more expensive set being tuned more towards the bass end. I don't listen to a lot of bass heavy music though, more mids. The K361s, if those descriptions are accurate, may be better for the type of music I listen to.

Aug 20, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #7 of 35
Actually that could be wrong. Hmm. Now I am confused between the two, but either way it looks like the new AKG options are up there with the equivalently priced Audio Technica, Beyerdynamic, and Sennheiser options.

Aug 20, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #8 of 35
The K371 has a little bit more bass, especially subbass, but I don't think it's a basshead headphone by any means. I think you'd really be happy with either one, so I wouldn't stress over the choice too much. If keeping to your budget is important, the K361 is a good buy

Aug 20, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #10 of 35
If you're a metal-head, I really recommend the Beyer 770. Just fantastic for metal. Plus, it's a decades-old headphone, you won't have to work very hard to find a killer deal on the used market. $80 or less, easy.

Aug 21, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #14 of 35
I think I could increase my budget around the $150 price point to include headphones like the DT770, K371, maybe Fostex T40RP. I wish I didn't need closed backs to drown out some of the background noise here, or else I'd gladly buy some better open backs around the $200 price range. I was also considering a tiered approach. $100 closed backs for some of the time, more expensive open back headphones for the rest. But if there are closed backs at a higher price point that are good enough for my needs to not need to buy an additional set of opens later on to enjoy my music, then yeah, I'll spend more.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back