Need for a burn-in sticky
Jan 5, 2004 at 4:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

FrostyMMB

500+ Head-Fier
I noticed a trend in new threads frequently appearing on the subject of burn-in. Why not make a FAQ sticky so that each new member with a new pair of headphones lacking the desire to use the search button can just have their question about burning in their new can answered in a post that will always be visible? I hate stickies, but it's getting really old when the same question gets a new thread multiple times a week.

Jan 5, 2004 at 5:00 PM Post #2 of 20
Yeah, as frosty said, a FAQ would really be neccesary now that the 'community' is growing bigger at an awsome rate. And as he also said and it's tiersome with all the 'burn-in, help please' threads, a couple every week, just make a 'BURN-IN FAQ - READ BEFORE POSTING' or something like that so we se different stuff in the forum that 1 post threads
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers, Mindless.

Jan 12, 2004 at 8:40 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by JeffL
Dude, hold up, its like 3am, give them time
cool.gif

Well, my original post was also from a week ago, and here we have a few fresh burn in threads to add to the stack.

Jan 12, 2004 at 9:08 AM Post #6 of 20
Maybe what we need is more emphasis on using the forum search function. A sticky asking (demanding) that people do searches before posting might cut down on the repetitive questions.

D.

Jan 12, 2004 at 9:09 AM Post #7 of 20
I also think that sticky thread about "burn in" (time, volume, etc.) would be a benefit for new members.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2004 at 9:30 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Permonic
I also think that sticky thread about "burn in" (time, volume, etc.) would be a benefit for new members.
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree with this. To the person who suggested a sticky involving suggesting new members to search before asking is kind of impractical. If someone were to ask what was the best headphones, and did a search for "best headphone" they'd get so many responses, some of which would be antiquated. It may just spew out-of-date advice for the budget-minded especially.

A burn-in sticky would provide new members with up-to-date burn-in methods, like what frequency-sweeps or what-have-you will provide the best (and quickest) results from burning in and/or which headphones will require what amount of burn-in time to sound their best.

Jan 12, 2004 at 11:56 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by CrawlingEye
To the person who suggested a sticky involving suggesting new members to search before asking is kind of impractical.

There are countless threads in which a question is met with something like: "Try searching the forum. This has been discussed many times." Therefore, searching the forum should be everyone's first instinct. This is a fairly common part of most forums' rules of etiquette. The point of it is to discourage the constant re-posting of questions that have already been answered.

Quote:

If someone were to ask what was the best headphones, and did a search for "best headphone" they'd get so many responses, some of which would be antiquated. It may just spew out-of-date advice for the budget-minded especially.

The search results show the most recent threads first. In the case of your example ("best headphone" search), going back 40 pages still brings up threads that are less than two weeks old. Personally, I don't think that a two week old thread can be considered antiquated unless it is specifically referring to something that is time-limited or expired (e.g. Sennheiser rebates, special sale prices, etc.).

Quote:

A burn-in sticky would provide new members with up-to-date burn-in methods, like what frequency-sweeps or what-have-you will provide the best (and quickest) results from burning in and/or which headphones will require what amount of burn-in time to sound their best.

I have no problem with a burn-in FAQ sticky because it would probably cut down on the repeated questions about it. Perhaps I should have said words to such effect.

However, my post was less about a burn-in sticky than it was about a "Please search the forum" sticky. Searching before posting should not be discouraged.

D.

Jan 12, 2004 at 12:32 PM Post #10 of 20
Most of the posts in the headphone area is repetitive in the first place. Regurgitated and recycled information from the past. There isn't many worthwhile headphones models and new releases are not frequent. I haven't been on this forum too long but every new post I see has something to do with multiple posts exactly the same already posted in the past, perhaps the only difference being wording. My 2cents.

Jan 12, 2004 at 9:08 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Demolition
There are countless threads in which a question is met with something like: "Try searching the forum. This has been discussed many times." Therefore, searching the forum should be everyone's first instinct. This is a fairly common part of most forums' rules of etiquette. The point of it is to discourage the constant re-posting of questions that have already been answered.

I agree, for many instances it's not an issue, but for certain issues it can develop to be less-accurate information, in comparison to asking for current information.

Quote:

The search results show the most recent threads first. In the case of your example ("best headphone" search), going back 40 pages still brings up threads that are less than two weeks old. Personally, I don't think that a two week old thread can be considered antiquated unless it is specifically referring to something that is time-limited or expired (e.g. Sennheiser rebates, special sale prices, etc.).

My point is more as follows. If the rebate expires, and someone still plans on getting the headphones, will they still win a 'bang for the buck' award? Also, perhaps something new may have come out that will be a better option for them. As you've stated, there are 40 pages of threads there, but in this, how much of it is really worthwhile to the 'searcher'?

It's quite clear that you can't definitively find a 'best headphone' for yourself by asking someone else. Rather, you can help narrow it down. The same can be said about many things. I think a FAQ for burn-in would be better suited over a suggestion to search because of this. I'm not discouraging searching, I'm just saying that I don't think it should be deemed 'bad' if despite having searched, someone asks a repeat question to check if it's up-to-date.

Quote:

I have no problem with a burn-in FAQ sticky because it would probably cut down on the repeated questions about it. Perhaps I should have said words to such effect.

However, my post was less about a burn-in sticky than it was about a "Please search the forum" sticky. Searching before posting should not be discouraged.

D.

I understand. I just feel slightly contrary to what you're saying. However, I'm sure either of these would help cure the problem at hand. I'm just a bit curious of which would be the best solution.

Jan 13, 2004 at 7:44 PM Post #13 of 20
Shang-Ti, an in depth sticky covering general burn-in methods and common questions about all headphones would probably be more appropriate than one covering only Grados and Alessandros.

I also would suggest that the sticky be a locked, one post thread so that we don't have new members responding to it multiple times asking a question. That would just get us a high post thread in a few months that no one will to scroll through. All questions could be asked via PM to a moderator who could then add to the post if necessary. Not that I'm aiming to put any more work on the mods, but with all the redundant posting that goes one here, I think this would be a good way to reduce those concerning a hot topic like burn in.

Doesn't look like this is getting anywhere, so I suppose it's just not in the interest of the mods.

Jan 13, 2004 at 7:56 PM Post #14 of 20
Okay so let's put together such a thread and I will sticky it
smily_headphones1.gif

If folks want to email me some basic info for a FAQ I will make a thread and we can have it stickied in this forum. If we have sufficient info coming my way this evening I'll collect it all, rewrite it to make it all coherent and have it stickied before tomorrow am.

Jan 13, 2004 at 8:06 PM Post #15 of 20
Burn-in :

"You have to understand we're completly obsessed by our cans and any minor change will put us on high. That's why we'll tell you a lot about burn-in.

What's burn in ? An headphones has 2 drivers, made of a quite rigid material. After some use, the drivers will get somewhat looser and will thus provide a more easy sounding output. So, burn-in applies to the period during which the drivers settle down and relax (like I'm relaxing now, sipping whisky, I strongly advice you to serve you a glass btw).

What do I have to do ? Drink the glass you served yourself, sit down and listen to the music you like. That's it. If you're as badly bitten by the audiophile bug as we are, you'll find that cans will sound better after some time, or worse during other hours. Once you have 50 hours of listening, you can go back on this board and tell quietly if you like the cans or not and brag about how great they are. If you did that before this fatal hour, all of us would shoot you in the head because you didn't burned the cans."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back