need comments on this setup for hd600
Aug 15, 2012 at 5:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

shftommy

Head-Fier
Hi guys,
  I'm about to build up a desktop system for my HD 600, I've been thinking of getting the Audio gd NFB12.1 as my dac and Little dot mk V as the desktop amplifier, since my main source is laptop. And I listen to Classical music and audiophile cds. What do you guys think ? Is it a good setup to shine the hd600 ? Feel free to give any thoughts or comments !! Cheers.

Aug 15, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #2 of 7
Curious as to why you're getting the LD MKV - which is a solid state amp.  The NFB-12.1 is already a combined dac/amp (SS) - so you don't really need the LD MKV.

Just for the record - I have an HD600 with an Audio-gd NFB12 (love the combination).  I also have the LD MKIV - and depending on my mood - I either listen straight out of the NFB-12, or use the NFB-12 as dac only to LD MKIV (when I want some tube magic).  This gives me best of both worlds - SS and tubes.

Aug 15, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #3 of 7
coz i like the sound of ss amp, which part do you reckon i should change? the dac or the ld mk v ?

Aug 15, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #4 of 7
If you just want SS only - don't worry about the LD.  Just get the NFB-12.1 for now - it has combined DAC and quite a powerful amp.

Aug 15, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #5 of 7
so should i go for mk iv in case i like the tube sounding ? btw is nfb 12.1 a good dac ?

Aug 15, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #6 of 7
Yes - IMO the NFB-12.1 is a good dac and amp combo.  It's not a giant killer - but it has great inputs and outputs, and pairs well with all of my headphones - even the Grados.  I personally don't think you can really do much better for the price.

Only you can decide on whether a Tube amp will suit you.  Why don't you just go NFB-12 for now and see how you like it.  If you're perfectly happy with the combo - you can then decide if you want to add a tube amp OR if you'd like a different second set of headphones as a contrast.

I bought the LD MKIV mainly for my Beyer DT880s and also the AKG K701s - but the HD600 does sound good with it as well.  But the great thing is that is is something you can add later - you don't need to go all-out now :)

Aug 16, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #7 of 7
Get a tube amp along with the NFB12, you wont be sorry. I actually had HD600 and LD MK IV se and along with dacmagic it was my favourite combo to date

Users who are viewing this thread

Back