Need closed back Upgrade!
Jul 1, 2019 at 11:46 PM Post #3 of 19
To better assist you, could you please provide your headphone budget, your preferred sound signature, (neutral, warm, bright, dark, etc.), your preferred music genres? Also, do you have a headphone amp or no?
So currently I opwn DT770s, fidellio x2hr, and Beyer T1's. I have a monoprice thx 788 dac amp that i use for solid state but I also use that dac and feed it to my dark voice with upgraded tubes. I honestly think I like the bright sound of the beyers. I love the bass that they give me while not sacrificing on the mids and highs. Ive personally tried the th-900 mk2 and the mids just sounds way too muffled and muddy for me to enjoy so I guess we can cross fostex out of the suggestions. I love the soundstage on my x2hr the most out of all the headphones that I own but both beyers provide me with the bass that i desire from the music that I listen to. I mainly listen to hip hop and a wide genre of edm. There are some times where I would listen to songs that are very mid focused such as cantonese pop from the 80s-90s.

Jul 2, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 19
So currently I opwn DT770s, fidellio x2hr, and Beyer T1's. I have a monoprice thx 788 dac amp that i use for solid state but I also use that dac and feed it to my dark voice with upgraded tubes. I honestly think I like the bright sound of the beyers. I love the bass that they give me while not sacrificing on the mids and highs. Ive personally tried the th-900 mk2 and the mids just sounds way too muffled and muddy for me to enjoy so I guess we can cross fostex out of the suggestions. I love the soundstage on my x2hr the most out of all the headphones that I own but both beyers provide me with the bass that i desire from the music that I listen to. I mainly listen to hip hop and a wide genre of edm. There are some times where I would listen to songs that are very mid focused such as cantonese pop from the 80s-90s.

Based on your response, it sounds like the DT1770 is your natural next step up. Though, I would recommend the DT1990 (though open-backed) more because it does almost everything right with the analytical pads and packs plenty of bass. One of my favorite headphones is the Sony MDR-Z1R. That'll definitely deliver for hip-hop and EDM which are a couple of my top genres I listen to. If you're not trying to spend that much, then I would recommend the Sony MDR-Z7. I must say that they are warmer sound headphones but there is plenty of sound and detail packed into the highs. The other final option for over-ear would be the Campfire Audio Cascade headphones. I listened to them briefly at a meet, but they sounded really good.

If you're okay with on-ear headphones, the Audeze Sine sounds great as well. The 1More Triple-Driver Over-Ear headphones sound close to them and pack plenty of bass. I must note that they're really on-ear, not over-ear headphones. Hope those options help.

Great amp choices, by the way. I love my DarkVoice, and I have the 789, but have the Monoprice THX portable that sounds great.

Jul 2, 2019 at 12:31 AM Post #6 of 19
Ether C Flow. It's not the newest closed headphone but I just got my pair this week and i can't recommend it enough. I've had the th900mk2 as well and sold those.

How is the bass on the Ether C Flow? I had borrowed a friends Ether CX for a couple of weeks, and though they sound great, they leaned towards more of a neutral sound and didn't pack enough bass. Even with adding the inserts.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019 at 12:33 AM Post #7 of 19
Based on your response, it sounds like the DT1770 is your natural next step up. Though, I would recommend the DT1990 (though open-backed) more because it does almost everything right with the analytical pads and packs plenty of bass. One of my favorite headphones is the Sony MDR-Z1R. That'll definitely deliver for hip-hop and EDM which are a couple of my top genres I listen to. If you're not trying to spend that much, then I would recommend the Sony MDR-Z7. I must say that they are warmer sound headphones but there is plenty of sound and detail packed into the highs. The other final option for over-ear would be the Campfire Audio Cascade headphones. I listened to them briefly at a meet, but they sounded really good.

If you're okay with on-ear headphones, the Audeze Sine sounds great as well. The 1More Triple-Driver Over-Ear headphones sound close to them and pack plenty of bass. I must note that they're really on-ear, not over-ear headphones. Hope those options help.

Great amp choices, by the way. I love my DarkVoice, and I have the 789, but have the Monoprice THX portable that sounds great.

Thanks for the quick response. I was actually also thinking about the 1770s but after watching josh v.'s review it kinda scared me when he stated that they are very picky with their songs and aree vbery analytical. I dont really do any critical listening and bits of noise doesnt bother me that much. Ill look into the sonys that you suggested and see what I think about them.

I love both of my amps. I personally love the eq options that the 788 provides and it allows to me to boost the certain frequencies that I want. I was thinking about getting another dac amp for work but the only one that i can think of getting is the topping dx7s and I'm not sure if that has any eq options for me; not that its a priority but I personally love the sound that im getting with the small shelf eq that im able to do on the 788. Once I get into the office tomorrow ill let you know what tubes I have just sitting around and what im currently running. I know for sure that the pre amp tuibe is an rca tube and the power tube is a sylvania I believe?

Jul 2, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #8 of 19
Ether C Flow. It's not the newest closed headphone but I just got my pair this week and i can't recommend it enough. I've had the th900mk2 as well and sold those.

As much as I would love to get the Ether C flows, it is quite out of my price range at the moment. I have listened to them once and they were just absoplutely amazing. the bass attack is just killer and I love it. I have also tried the lcd2 closed back and those were anmazing too. I do hopefully wish to get them in my collection one day

Jul 2, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #9 of 19
How is the bass on the Ether C Flow? I had borrowed a friends Ether CX for a couple of weeks, and though they sound great, they leaned towards more of a neutral sound and didn't pack enough bass. Even with adding the inserts.

Definitely on the neutral side. However, the bass is present and doesn't leave you wanting more . I also have the Ether 2 which has much more bass but overall is a much more darker-relaxing sound sig. Going back to the ECF- I haven't tried any of the filters yet because I want to get accustomed to its original sound signature.

Jul 2, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #10 of 19
As much as I would love to get the Ether C flows, it is quite out of my price range at the moment. I have listened to them once and they were just absoplutely amazing. the bass attack is just killer and I love it. I have also tried the lcd2 closed back and those were anmazing too. I do hopefully wish to get them in my collection one day

Yeah i liked the LCD2 as well, i demo'd those and the LCDX together. liked them but they're very heavy and i use headphone for about 4-8 a day and i knew my neck would kill me. Weight & comfortability was a big factor for me.

Jul 2, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #11 of 19
Thanks for the quick response. I was actually also thinking about the 1770s but after watching josh v.'s review it kinda scared me when he stated that they are very picky with their songs and aree vbery analytical. I dont really do any critical listening and bits of noise doesnt bother me that much. Ill look into the sonys that you suggested and see what I think about them.

I love both of my amps. I personally love the eq options that the 788 provides and it allows to me to boost the certain frequencies that I want. I was thinking about getting another dac amp for work but the only one that i can think of getting is the topping dx7s and I'm not sure if that has any eq options for me; not that its a priority but I personally love the sound that im getting with the small shelf eq that im able to do on the 788. Once I get into the office tomorrow ill let you know what tubes I have just sitting around and what im currently running. I know for sure that the pre amp tuibe is an rca tube and the power tube is a sylvania I believe?

Yeah, Josh hated the 1770s but absolutely loves the DT1990s. It was definitely my reason for purchasing them, and they're great for watching movies and playing video games. Josh is actually a good friend of mine and has reviewed a ton of my gear recently, including the DarkVoice. He reviewed the DarkVoice with the Shuguang Treasure and a NOS RCA black-plate tube. I highly recommend the sound of these tubes. Check out his review if you haven't already.

By the way, if you're looking for cheaper options, there is the Sony MDR-1A as well. They're great for hip-hop and EDM but are very warm sounding headphones.

Jul 2, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #12 of 19
Definitely on the neutral side. However, the bass is present and doesn't leave you wanting more . I also have the Ether 2 which has much more bass but overall is a much more darker-relaxing sound sig. Going back to the ECF- I haven't tried any of the filters yet because I want to get accustomed to its original sound signature.

Good to know. Thanks!

Jul 2, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #13 of 19
I was thinking about getting another dac amp for work but the only one that i can think of getting is the topping dx7s and I'm not sure if that has any eq options for me

Oh! Regarding the DX7S, I use that primarily as a DAC to my THX 789 (Josh has the same setup- FYI). It has a neutral to bright sound signature and is very clean, but ultimately lacks power. So as long as you're not trying to push anything that requires a lot of power, you should be good.

Also, I just realized that Josh never posted the DarkVoice. i talked to him and he said that the file got corrupted, so the public didn't get a chance to see it. My apologies there.

Jul 2, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #15 of 19
Yeah i liked the LCD2 as well, i demo'd those and the LCDX together. liked them but they're very heavy and i use headphone for about 4-8 a day and i knew my neck would kill me. Weight & comfortability was a big factor for me.
Yea weight is a huge thing for me too probably shouldve mentioned that. These are for me to use at the office and I usually have my headphones on all day at work unless i go out for a smoke, lunch or have to go to the bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back