Need Closed back headphone recommendation. Great at noise rejection. For home use with Jot amp. Also good Bass but not overpowering. Very comfortable.Thanks.
Mar 6, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #16 of 25
Does anyone know which has more isolation between the EL-8 and the Foster TX-00? These seem similar based on reviews and in the forum it seems either can be had for a similar cost. I have never owned a non-dynamic headphone so leaning to EL-8 just because. Currently use either my Philips SHP-9500, Sennheiser HD 700, or Sennheiser urbanite XL. None of these are sealed of course.
Have heard both but never took that into account. It has been a bit since I have heard them so hard to say but the TH-X00's were a fun headphone but the new EL-8's with the lightning cable and app was pretty cool.

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #17 of 25
  Does anyone know which has more isolation between the EL-8 and the Foster TX-00? These seem similar based on reviews and in the forum it seems either can be had for a similar cost. I have never owned a non-dynamic headphone so leaning to EL-8 just because. Currently use either my Philips SHP-9500, Sennheiser HD 700, or Sennheiser urbanite XL. None of these are sealed of course.

Hi,

I have spent time with both. The EL-8 closed and the PM-3 have the best isolation of any in that class IMHO and a fair bit more than any of the Fostex. The Fostex is a very nice headphone as well, you might want to give it a listen. If you have the money I'd give the LCD-XC a listen too. I would have loved those but i use mine at work and just couldn't use something that heavy and bulky. The Mr. Speakers Ether C or Ether C Flow are really great too but lack bottom end, which is why I couldn't warm up to them. You could always buy a few and return the losers! Thats what I did between the PM-3 and EL-8.

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #18 of 25
  Nice! For $10 you have nothing to lose.

Make sure you at least remove the plastic grilles, add some HM5 or similar pads, & burn in before you pass judgement.

Ok...so I'm probably not going to spend the time modding these but they're not too bad for $10. I did compare them directly with my EL-8C's and Sennheiser HD380PRO's and I can honestly say I didn't think the Phillips was even close to the EL-8's. The Phillips clearly had the most bass out of all of them, but the top end was quite rolled off and they didn't give much sense of space or room ambiance. I can definitely see the appeal for the very low price though. I don't know...maybe I'll keep em and try to modify em at a later time! :)

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #19 of 25
So between the el8 and the pm3 what do you think? I can't justify the new price on the el8s but used they are about the same as the pm3s. Which is more comfortable? I think the oppos are a lot lighter. They could be used portably too which is a bonus I guess. I am narrowing it down.

Mar 7, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #20 of 25
I keep reading the newer el8s are better than the older ones. I wonder if that's why they were selling the refurbished late last year for $350.

Mar 7, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #21 of 25
So between the el8 and the pm3 what do you think? I can't justify the new price on the el8s but used they are about the same as the pm3s. Which is more comfortable? I think the oppos are a lot lighter. They could be used portably too which is a bonus I guess. I am narrowing it down.

I've heard the PM3, fantastic headphone, very neutralish as well. I prefer a bit more bass oomph depending on what is being listened too, but that planar bass will be a nice change. 

Get the more portable headphone. Really, it just opens up being able to enjoy your music outdoors, libraries, etc. My portable is a  MDR-7520. Easily it could be my at home closed-listening can as it is that good. I too have an HD700, I think you'll be more than happy with the PM3.

Mar 8, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #22 of 25

Understood. If portability is important the PM-3 is better. They also are a bit more comfortable due to the lack of weight. Be cautioned though that the PM-3 has a slightly smaller ear cup and as long as YOUR ear fits inside it should be fine. The EL-8C is a bit heaver and the ear cups are larger but either are quite comfortable. I really like the single left side detachable cable on the PM-3's (a standard 3.5mm male to male cable). The EL-8C's cable is flat cable and has proprietary connectors...kind of a negative...the supplied cable also has poor microphonics or that it transfers noise through the cable when touching or rubbing the cable. In my opinion the PM-3 would be the clear winner on all fronts except sound quality (but yes they are VERY good) i really do like the EL-8C better...but thats just me. I had a couple of audiophile friends compare the two and one agreed with me that the EL-8c's were better and one liked the PM-3 better. So its really a subjective thing. No real wrong choice here.

I am on my second pair of EL-8C's. At just over a year, one of the headband plastic pieces cracked off of the metal headband. I contacted Audeze about this and they were VERY accommodating. I sent mine back to them and they sent me a BRAND NEW set! And yes i believe that the new ones do sound a bit better.

So, if portability, durability, and light weight are top priorities then PM-3 is absolutely the way to go. If sound quality is of utmost importance and you can deal with a few minor quibbles the EL-8C's are the choice (again, in my opinion). If cost is very important, purchasing a refurbished set either from Oppo or from Audio Advisor is a great way to go. They are basically a brand new set and are covered with the regular warranty. At some point i may get a pair of PM-3's as a backup pair.

I hope this helps.

Mar 8, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #23 of 25
Just saw this...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/836664/like-new-audeze-el-8-closed-back-new-version

Not currently in stock but maybe wait until they're back in stock...
https://www.oppodigital.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ZPM3

Mar 8, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #24 of 25
Well I was almost decided until I just checked email and there is a new fostex th-00 drop starting. Any thoughts compared to the el8 and pm3? I think I narrowed down to those 3.

Mar 8, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #25 of 25
Well I was almost decided until I just checked email and there is a new fostex th-00 drop starting. Any thoughts compared to the el8 and pm3? I think I narrowed down to those 3.

Those are nice. The isolation isnt nearly as good as either the PM-3 or EL-8c. Just my opinion, but i didn't like them enough to consider them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back