Need Closed back headphone recommendation. Great at noise rejection. For home use with Jot amp. Also good Bass but not overpowering. Very comfortable.Thanks.
Mar 4, 2017 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

briman1000

Head-Fier
I need a headphone for home use that will help me study while listening to music and will help drown out my children and household noises. I have several open back phones but need something quality that is closed and does a great job at isolation. Comfort is very important. Also I would like something with reasonably strong bass, (not overpowering) and musical. This is not for monitoring or anything. Just enjoyment of the various kinds of music I have access to. No need to be portable. Will run off of my Schiit Jotunheim with built in DAC. I am fairly open on price but would rather spend less than more unless there is a compelling reason. I am more of a bang for the buck kind of guy. Thanks!

Mar 4, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #2 of 25
  I need a headphone for home use that will help me study while listening to music and will help drown out my children and household noises. I have several open back phones but need something quality that is closed and does a great job at isolation. Comfort is very important. Also I would like something with reasonably strong bass, (not overpowering) and musical. This is not for monitoring or anything. Just enjoyment of the various kinds of music I have access to. No need to be portable. Will run off of my Schiit Jotunheim with built in DAC. I am fairly open on price but would rather spend less than more unless there is a compelling reason. I am more of a bang for the buck kind of guy. Thanks!

Hello;

I have tried these and both (listed below) have there pros and cons but id give em a look...isolation on both are great. I ended up with the EL-8 myself. The EL-8's also have a better bottom end and sounded more realistic to me. I don't like the flat wire cable on these and the microphonics of the cable are poor but Moon audio now offers three replacement cables for the EL-8 (https://www.moon-audio.com/audio-cables/headphones/audeze-el-8-cables.html). I may get one in the future.

The PM-3 is a bit smaller and lighter and really more portable...they also sound great but slightly less bottom end than the EL-8's. They sound a touch more intimate and slightly more forward than the EL-8's. There's more to explain but these are the big differences. Both are very good.The PM-3's can also be found on Oppo's site refurbished for $319 so thats really a great deal for these!

https://www.oppodigital.com/headphones-pm-3/

https://www.audeze.com/products/el-8-collection/el-8-closed-back

Good luck!

Brian

Mar 4, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #4 of 25
  You might read about the MEZE 99 Classsics. They could work for you. So could a TH-X00. Worth exploring.

Yep...those too... Having listened to these as well the EL-8C has the most bottom end out of all of them though as well as the best isolation...IMHO.

Mar 4, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #5 of 25
Totally agree the Audeze have more bass but they do tend to be like their brethren and go a like soft on the top end. Some might disagree that's fine. I've listened to the EL-8's from Cipher cable from my iPhone and a DPX-1 and think that is what I hear. They are a really good headphone and the iPhone app is really nice but I would still pick the TH-X00's for the fun value. YMMV

Mar 4, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #6 of 25
The EL-8s sound like a real possibility. I wish they still had that refurb sale going on like before Christmans. I had considered the Foster TH-610s also.

Mar 4, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #7 of 25
You want bang for the buck - arguably one of the best values around? The Philips SHL3300 is what you want.

You can get them from Newegg/Amazon for $17-$19 shipped, and I liked them so much I picked up a 2nd pair for $7 shipped.

They have a nice full range, good soundstage, nice tight bass (v-shaped but not bloated), and sound better than many headphones costing $150-$200. They have a plastic fantastic construction given the price point obviously. However, the plastic is of good quality, quite thick, not creaky at all like many all-plastic headphones, and the DJ-style hinges are solid (despite being plastic).

For best sound, you'll need to do a few simple mods, in addition to most definitely replacing the stock pads (not due to comfort but due to sound). A set of HM5 pleather or sheepskin leather pads works best, as well as a quality ~$10 ebay/aliexpress 90mm/95mm/100mm round pleather pads (30mm thickness recommended on round pads). I wouldn't recommend velour pads.

They are pretty comfortable stock, although I did a headband mod that increased the headband comfort level 200%. Headband has good range of adjustment, and can be easily tweaked for less clamping force (although I found the clamping force just fine).

The mod thread is here (http://www.head-fi.org/t/697813/review-philips-shl3300-dj-headphones-most-underrated-headphone), with the mods detailed on pages 12-14.

A good 50hrs of burn-in gives the best sound. They sound great un-amped, and even better amped. The cord is attached (even has a short coiled section), but it's trivial to do a removable cord mod.

Don't let the low price fool you. Give them a try; I assure that you won't be disappointed.

Mar 5, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #8 of 25
Hahahahahahaahhaahahaaaaaaa......

LoL

So Philips legend is also here..

Ok let me get it to all expensive people

Philips shl3300 and she3580 are legend.

Go mod it.

Download mathEQ on your pc.

Create perfect eq for your head by following piccolonamek equalise guide, use it in onkyo HF player(mobile) or jriver extension or whatever.

I created electrical circuit

You are done for life.

Mar 5, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #9 of 25
Hahahahahahaahhaahahaaaaaaa......

LoL

So Philips legend is also here..

Ok let me get it to all expensive people

Philips shl3300 and she3580 are legend.

Go mod it.

Download mathEQ on your pc.

Create perfect eq for your head by following piccolonamek equalise guide, use it in onkyo HF player(mobile) or jriver extension or whatever.

I created electrical circuit

You are done for life.

Agreed - I have close to 20 sets of cans now, ranging all over the price spectrum, and the SHL3300 is my 2nd favorite by a long shot. I wish I had found them years ago - would have saved me a lot of money!

Hmmm, SHE3580/SHE3590? Great, I have enough IEMs to last 5 lifetimes & enough tips to last 10 lifetimes, so I need another pair like I need a hole in my head. But I'm going to have to pick up a set of SHE3580/90 since I just can't resist LOL! 
ksc75smile.gif

Mar 5, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #11 of 25
The EL-8s sound like a real possibility. I wish they still had that refurb sale going on like before Christmans. I had considered the Foster TH-610s also.

Maybe try this... i got mine here. Brian is great to deal with!

https://www.razordogaudio.com/collections/headphones/products/audeze-el-8-closed-back-planar-magnetic-headphone-1

Mar 5, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #12 of 25
You want bang for the buck - arguably one of the best values around? The Philips SHL3300 is what you want.

You can get them from Newegg/Amazon for $17-$19 shipped, and I liked them so much I picked up a 2nd pair for $7 shipped.

They have a nice full range, good soundstage, nice tight bass (v-shaped but not bloated), and sound better than many headphones costing $150-$200. They have a plastic fantastic construction given the price point obviously. However, the plastic is of good quality, quite thick, not creaky at all like many all-plastic headphones, and the DJ-style hinges are solid (despite being plastic).

For best sound, you'll need to do a few simple mods, in addition to most definitely replacing the stock pads (not due to comfort but due to sound). A set of HM5 pleather or sheepskin leather pads works best, as well as a quality ~$10 ebay/aliexpress 90mm/95mm/100mm round pleather pads (30mm thickness recommended on round pads). I wouldn't recommend velour pads.

They are pretty comfortable stock, although I did a headband mod that increased the headband comfort level 200%. Headband has good range of adjustment, and can be easily tweaked for less clamping force (although I found the clamping force just fine).

The mod thread is here (http://www.head-fi.org/t/697813/review-philips-shl3300-dj-headphones-most-underrated-headphone), with the mods detailed on pages 12-14.

A good 50hrs of burn-in gives the best sound. They sound great amped, and even better amped. The cord is attached (even has a short coiled section), but it's trivial to do a removable cord mod.

Don't let the low price fool you. Give them a try; I assure that you won't be disappointed.

Ok...I'll bite. I just ordered a used set on Amazon for $10.17. Ill see what all the fuss is about.

Mar 6, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #15 of 25
Does anyone know which has more isolation between the EL-8 and the Foster TX-00? These seem similar based on reviews and in the forum it seems either can be had for a similar cost. I have never owned a non-dynamic headphone so leaning to EL-8 just because. Currently use either my Philips SHP-9500, Sennheiser HD 700, or Sennheiser urbanite XL. None of these are sealed of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back