need budget headphones suited for post-rock
Oct 11, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #16 of 30
I define warmth as excessive Decay, which is something I do not like

That's the first time I've heard that description of warmth. Decay is not a warm or cool thing. It's a clarity and accuracy thing. You could have a speaker with a cold signature that has poor decay, and a speaker with a warm tone that has good decay.

Oct 12, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #17 of 30
I'm not on a computer to write more. I'll PM you soon.

don't pm rather post it here! The user needs a recommendation on head phones! I already know what I like, and have a Closed Pair of cans I like. So honestly, there is no need to explain anything to me, rather share it with every one :3 

Oct 12, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #18 of 30
Read this, then you might understand warm, that's what most people mean as warm, including me.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/220770/describing-sound-a-glossary

Oct 12, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #19 of 30
Read this, then you might understand warm, that's what most people mean as warm, including me.

+1

Didn't you know? It's more fun to make up your own definitions for terms, rather than trying to find shared meaning with others so you can communicate better :wink:

Oct 12, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #20 of 30
That's the first time I've heard that description of warmth. Decay is not a warm or cool thing. It's a clarity and accuracy thing. You could have a speaker with a cold signature that has poor decay, and a speaker with a warm tone that has good decay.

Good point, I should mention then, I associate excessive decay in the low mids and bass as "warm" as the well extra decay just leaves too bass or low mids for my tastes. Currawong also descibed the Audio GD amps as "dark" other said they where warm, but I feel Curra was correct in calling them "dark" the frequancy response of the amp is not tilted downward at all, it's very balanced, but rather the... lack of warmth or excessive bass and low mids, or rather the removal of what Curra calls the "veil" of which I find any "warm" headphones to have, the removal of that veil is often heard as "dark" ppl mistake the clarity for a downward tilt in freq response

"Also excessive bass or mid bass"

Yea I don't like warm 

so again, with regards to warm. Warm makes me think of extra bass, low frequancy Decay and warmth. And for the Record, the HE 400 with Pleathers and the Mad Dog where some of the WARMEST cans I've heard... and I did not enjoy either of them to well. But both do have any "excessive" decay from the drivers, rather I think it's resonnace with the pads that leads to the idea or the preception of extra decay

decay as we know is the exiting noise of sound, or the fade out. If there is resonnance with the ePads it will cause the sound to linger, which is in turn heard by my ears as excessive decay. The w1000x had a LOT of this in it's stock pads and stock driver houseings

So with that said, I stand by my idea of warm. "extra bass" and often times extra low mid and bass resonnance or decay or the mid "veil"

On the note of warm, my oDac was warmer than I thought :O as was my Matrix M Stage! Although I suppose I like a dark and cold sound [kind of ironic though, dark a focus on lows and bass, cold lacking warmth [or lows and bass] xD lawl what an oxymoron Dark Cold Sound, either way. I don't like warm cans, and I do not feel they are as clear or as... lively as colder brighter headphones. Although there is a fine line imo, between lean and delicate and thin, as I've mentioned before

Still thanks for the link. I guess I just descirbe warm more with what I feel Causes the warmth, than what the effect of said causes. 

Oct 14, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #21 of 30
Mshenay /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sorry all, i went out of town for a few days, Yeah i would be using them at home most of the time, if not just in the car most likely, so should i go with open-back? i really wouldnt need any isolation from my environment, and i dont have an ipod, it's mytouch which is an android, any amp suggestions? a cheap one for now maybe? thanks people, and ostewart can you provide a link to the r-studio headphones? i cant find them

Oct 14, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #22 of 30
http://rockitsounds.com/shop/product/?prod_id=27

The R-Studio really are impressive for the price. Not many reviews up yet as they are new.

Oct 16, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #23 of 30
http://rockitsounds.com/shop/product/?prod_id=27

The R-Studio really are impressive for the price. Not many reviews up yet as they are new.

Then maybe you should review them? And I saw you reommended these on the bass head thread,

I like post rock and I do NOT like it with bass heavy cans... at all! Post Rock is a nice blend of many elements. Some times you get a little Avant Garde, or you get alittle Jazz infusion. Either way with something as... broad as post rock, Broad meaning there are many instruments used and many styles.
I have some We vs Death that features some electronic elements in addition to a very jazzy Brass section, and with post rock I don't want either part of the song over powering the others. So anything worthy of being on the Bass Head thread, might not be best for Post Rock imo... to much bass takes away from the mids to much 

Oct 17, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #24 of 30
I didn't recommend them on the bass thread...

They are not THAT bass heavy. I wouldn't call then bass heavy even, as I said they are warm which means slightly boosted lows, but not bass heavy. The bass does not take anything away from the mids, as the mids are still great and detailed.

I will be reviewing them, and also taking them to the London meet this Saturday.

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #25 of 30
I didn't recommend them on the bass thread...

They are not THAT bass heavy. I wouldn't call then bass heavy even, as I said they are warm which means slightly boosted lows, but not bass heavy. The bass does not take anything away from the mids, as the mids are still great and detailed.

I will be reviewing them, and also taking them to the London meet this Saturday.

... thought you did... still hey man :D if you like em slap a picture of them! It's kinda hard to take you seriously with a headphone i've never heard of before from a company... well that's as new as Rock It... i mean for the last week I couldn't connect to their website [fiinally got it to work just now]

still... they just look... to... the whole image, the name and everything about them on the marketing side really make me doubt they are "neutral" The web site and design are not targeting a market taht want's a balanced headphone.

STILL :3 do us up a nice review :D I do like being proved wrong ;3 

Oct 18, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #26 of 30
... thought you did... still hey man :D if you like em slap a picture of them! It's kinda hard to take you seriously with a headphone i've never heard of before from a company... well that's as new as Rock It... i mean for the last week I couldn't connect to their website [fiinally got it to work just now]

still... they just look... to... the whole image, the name and everything about them on the marketing side really make me doubt they are "neutral" The web site and design are not targeting a market taht want's a balanced headphone.

STILL :3 do us up a nice review :D I do like being proved wrong ;3 

Rock-It is not an unknown brand. Google the Rock-it R-50. A well reviewed, well known IEM. Received a 9.5 from joker, which is very high score. And it's a very neutral dual balanced armature IEM, so no surprise if the R-Studios tend toward neutral.

So, just like Soundmagic has adventured into headphones in the past year or so when they had previously focused mainly on IEMS, now Rock-It!

Oct 18, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #27 of 30
Rock-It is not an unknown brand. Google the Rock-it R-50. A well reviewed, well known IEM. Received a 9.5 from joker, which is very high score. And it's a very neutral dual balanced armature IEM, so no surprise if the R-Studios tend toward neutral.

So, just like Soundmagic has adventured into headphones in the past year or so when they had previously focused mainly on IEMS, now Rock-It!

Well said, also like Soundmagic, they have gone for the slightly warm and easy to listen to sound, similar to the HP100 but slightly less refined.

Oct 18, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #28 of 30

Well said, also like Soundmagic, they have gone for the slightly warm and easy to listen to sound, similar to the HP100 but slightly less refined.

... except my Sound Magic HP 100 was not... slighty warm. It was very balanced. Only a slight sub bass boost, with a small dip in mid bass actually. Mids where smooth but not forward, the same applies to the treble. the Hp 100 I had was on par with the K550, except the k550 was darker wider and a little grainer compared to the HP 100, which was a little smoother in the mids, slighty brighter and not as wide, but equally deep 

still if Rock-IT makes iems, that would explain why I've never heard of them. So For the price, the Rock It does seem like a good choice! 

Oct 18, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #29 of 30
HP100 is a little warm, but not to the point of recessed mids. Full bodied and full sound is not a problem, as is good for relaxed listening sessions. When they are too warm, that is bad.
Cold and analytical is good for critical, full and warm is good for easy listening.

In a perfect world I'd have beyerdynamic T1 for critical, Hifiman HE-6 for easy listening

Oct 18, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #30 of 30
HP100 is a little warm, but not to the point of recessed mids. Full bodied and full sound is not a problem, as is good for relaxed listening sessions. When they are too warm, that is bad.
Cold and analytical is good for critical, full and warm is good for easy listening.

In a perfect world I'd have beyerdynamic T1 for critical, Hifiman HE-6 for easy listening

I have heard that sadly there are about 2-3 revisions of the HP100 each sounding warmer than the one before. I had the First revision apprently, which is the... coldest. And I enjoyed it, although my w1000x was still... a better mix of both cold and warm 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back