need budget headphones suited for post-rock
Oct 11, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #2 of 30
Where are you plugging them to? do you need portability, or they are for home use? 

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #3 of 30
if your using these headphones for rock i would assume you would want something with some good bass.

If your using them inside your house 
http://www.amazon.com/Crossfade-Over-Ear-Noise-Isolating-Headphone-Gunmetal/dp/B003BYRGKY
these have good bass and sound for 110$

these are also decent and very comfortable.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-XB500-Diaphragm-Driver-Headphones/dp/B001RB24S2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1381470335&sr=1-1&keywords=xb+500
________________________________________________________________________________________

If your on the go

These are some great earbuds (just a suggestion if you wanted earbuds aswell)
http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Image-S4i--Ear-Headphones/dp/B008X8HZZO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1381470600&sr=1-1&keywords=klipsch+s4i

Good sound on ear headphones.
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Supra-Aural-Headset-Control-i-Phone/dp/B003WV8PKG/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1381470830&sr=1-2&keywords=sennheiser+px100

________________________________________________________________________________________

Now if you wanted good all around sound quality then:

Audio technica ath m50 are amazing for $150
or grado s80I(these leak sound A LOT)

Some recommendations by me (there are other good headphones around as well, read some reviews)

Oct 11, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #5 of 30
  Probably plugging them into my mytouch phone, but i am thinking about buying a portable amp thing, would use them mainly for home though

Will you be doing any Pc listening, I know that many iPhone users hook up to thier pc to load new music on their phones, or that is what I did back in my iPod days

Still I LOVE post rock and I enjoy it the most on a balance can, I suggest the Audio TEchnica A900x or the Shure 840, and if you do not mind buying them used, you can get them for around $150 or less here at head fi, which would give you about $50 to pick up an amp and a iDevice LOD Cable 

Here are some links to both the headphones I mentioned
Audio TEchnica AD900x
 SHure 840

also if you want new, the Sound Magic HP 100 where very enjoyable with Post Rock as well! 

Oct 11, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #6 of 30
if your using these headphones for rock i would assume you would want something with some good bass.

If your using them inside your house 
http://www.amazon.com/Crossfade-Over-Ear-Noise-Isolating-Headphone-Gunmetal/dp/B003BYRGKY
these have good bass and sound for 110$

these are also decent and very comfortable.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-XB500-Diaphragm-Driver-Headphones/dp/B001RB24S2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1381470335&sr=1-1&keywords=xb+500

The XB-500 are very bass heavy headphones. Not suitable for rock unless someone is a basshead wanting much more bass than the recording calls for. Even the V-Moda Crossfade LPs are more for someone wanting extra bass emphasis.

Still I LOVE post rock and I enjoy it the most on a balance can, I suggest the Audio TEchnica A900x or the Shure 840, and if you do not mind buying them used, you can get them for around $150 or less here at head fi, which would give you about $50 to pick up an amp and a iDevice LOD Cable 

Here are some links to both the headphones I mentioned
Audio TEchnica AD900x
 SHure 840

also if you want new, the Sound Magic HP 100 where very enjoyable with Post Rock as well! 

Agreed. More balanced headphones make more sense to me, too, unless you KNOW you like a real bass heavy sound.

So what you need to tell us next is if these headphones are for home use or on the go? Do you need isolation from your environment? If so, then closed headphones are better. If not, open headphones would be my choice since you'll generally get a bigger, more immersive soundstage. :)

Oct 11, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #7 of 30
The XB-500 are very bass heavy headphones. Not suitable for rock unless someone is a basshead wanting much more bass than the recording calls for. Even the V-Moda Crossfade LPs are more for someone wanting extra bass emphasis.
Agreed. More balanced headphones make more sense to me, too, unless you KNOW you like a real bass heavy sound.

So what you need to tell us next is if these headphones are for home use or on the go? Do you need isolation from your environment? If so, then closed headphones are better. If not, open headphones would be my choice since you'll generally get a bigger, more immersive soundstage.
smily_headphones1.gif

He mentioned they where at home, but he wants a portable amp and his source is an iPhone, so chances are there will be use outside of home. I think Closed would be best atm, assuming that he's going to be using that iDevice out side of his house as well

BUT op, you tell us. You say it's mainly for home [and I to listen mainly at home] but I still own a closed headphone my self... just for the 25% listening I do outside of home

Oct 11, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #8 of 30
He mentioned they where at home, but he wants a portable amp and his source is an iPhone, so chances are there will be use outside of home. I think Closed would be best atm, assuming that he's going to be using that iDevice out side of his house as well

BUT op, you tell us. You say it's mainly for home [and I to listen mainly at home] but I still own a closed headphone my self... just for the 25% listening I do outside of home

Opps. I missed that he said mostly at home. :xf_eek:

Oct 11, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #10 of 30
SoundMAGIC HP100 or Rockit R-Studio

... NEVER heard of the Rockit R Studio so... uhh let's go with the Tried and True Sound Magic HP 100! 

Oct 11, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #11 of 30
R-Studio may just be THE best closed back headphone under $100

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #12 of 30
R-Studio may just be THE best closed back headphone under $100

Yea others have said that about the Shure 440 and the Audio Technica A900x :/ 

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #13 of 30
R-Studio beat the SRH440, warmer sound, more natural and way more comfortable. The SRH440 may have slightly better detail and highs.

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #14 of 30
R-Studio beat the SRH440, warmer sound, more natural and way more comfortable. The SRH440 may have slightly better detail and highs.

see you throw the word "warm" around like it's a good thing. And natural to you is not natural to me, I like the highs and HATE warm cans... I find even the HE 400 with Pleathers to be TO WARM, and I modded my W1000x to remove a good bit of that warmth

and define warmth for me? I define warmth as excessive Decay, which is something I do not like. Where as to me, Dark is a more mid focused and natrual sound, the decay in balance with the attack resulting in  a mid forward sound, yet [a dark can with sufficent sound stage will] have enough space for neutral highs, and tight deep bass

where as again, to me, warm suggests what I call the "veil" of mids. That being said, I would not consider that warm veil to be any kind of a postive thing. And on that note, the Hp 100 and Shure 840 to my ears, both sounded very natrual. I enjoyed both. Still I have not heard the R Studio but, your going to have to be a little more specific before you start making " a is better than B" comments, because remember everything is flawed, and everything is a combination of trade offs.

I would not like a can that has slighty worse details and highs :/ 

Oct 11, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #15 of 30
I'm not on a computer to write more. I'll PM you soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back