Need Beautiful Sound. Need Help.
Oct 25, 2008 at 2:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

V3lier

New Head-Fier
Alright. I've been researching for a new mp3 player with sound quality being the main objective. I had a Cowon D2 and liked it but I keep reading about bass rolloff and about better sounding mp3 players in the market and I want to get a different mp3 player. I don't want Sony for many reasons and I don't want an IPod because I don't like being stuck to itunes and want to give other companies a chance. I need it to be drag and drop because I use Linux many times and it doesn't support MTP. MAIN THING IS SOUND QUALITY. I don't care about watching videos because that's why I'm going to be buying a laptop, I don't need text and bla bla bla. JUST SOUND
smily_headphones1.gif
. Battery life is VERY important. The more the better. So I basicly dont want: Cowon D2(bass rolloff), Samsung P2(MTP), Sony(many reasons), Ipods(itunes). I have the Sansa Fuze in mind but I need more suggesions. Right now I don't have much money for Amps and such and more I like my setup simple. So no amps. Please help because I can't make up my mind. It's driving me crazy. Thank you.

Sound Quality and Battery Life is what I'm searching for.

Oct 25, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #5 of 40
You read about the bass roll off, but can you hear it?
Do you notice it significantly enough that it would agitate you?
Does it hurt you enough to make you spend $xxx for a new one?

Not that I am saying don't buy a new player, it just seem weird you would buy a new one because you heard people talking on the forum about something you might not have even noticed.

If you liked your D2 and noone ever said anything about bass roll-off, would you still be looking for a new mp3 player?

Oct 25, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #7 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by V3lier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I basicly dont want: Cowon D2(bass rolloff), Samsung P2(MTP), Sony(many reasons), Ipods(itunes). I have the Sansa Fuze in mind but I need more suggesions.
Sound Quality and Battery Life is what I'm searching for.

To give you more option, add one more, Creative Zen into equation
smily_headphones1.gif

It's quite hard to think something better than Cowon D2 other than iPod + amp which I seriously considering now. Depending on what head/ear phones you are using, I find Fuze is a bit quiet compared to D2 (obviously), I have to crank up to 70% to get the same loudness of D2 at 12/50 (with BBE and EQ turned on). Sony A82x maybe one of them that I can think of (generally), but you don't want to use them
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 25, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #9 of 40
The best sounding players, and I've listened to a couple lately, has to be the Sony players. I love all the others that I own/ed, but my A829 is the SQ king!!!

Oct 25, 2008 at 9:34 AM Post #10 of 40
Wanting the best SQ but not wanting a Sony is a contradiction IMO.

Oct 25, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #11 of 40
I think the problem is that you want 'beautiful sound' but that you don't 'have much money for amps', etc. Not being funny, but one of those has to give!

I have enjoyed a simple setup of an iAudio X5 paired with Shure SE530s for a while, and have been very happy. Then I found this place, and I have recently added a Tomahawk amp and a Qable interconnect, with another interconnect on its way for my Touch, and the improvement has been worth every penny - I can't think I'll ever be satisfied listening through head/earphones again without an amp. The performance is now little short of spectacular.

I know that the sky's the limit when you start out on this road. If the cash is the most important thing, maybe say what your budget is? I'm certain some of the very knowledgeable guys here could suggest an excellent rig for your budget.

Oct 25, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by centerfold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You read about the bass roll off, but can you hear it?
Do you notice it significantly enough that it would agitate you?
Does it hurt you enough to make you spend $xxx for a new one?

Not that I am saying don't buy a new player, it just seem weird you would buy a new one because you heard people talking on the forum about something you might not have even noticed.

If you liked your D2 and noone ever said anything about bass roll-off, would you still be looking for a new mp3 player?

I actually had a D2. I don't anymore. It got stolen. I was about to buy a Cowon D2 16GB but I started reading and have changed my mind. I also don't like how there is a 4,000 file limit.

Oct 25, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #15 of 40
The file limit applies to music files. Besides, are you gonna' rip to 64kbps, or are you going to rip to high bitrate. The file issue is a non-issue then, only a reason to nit-pic. Besides, whats wrong w/the Sony players? The SQ is amazing, easily better than pretty much anything commercially available ATM. Even if you choose to NOT go w/a Sony or Cowon, the clip and Fuze SQ is great also. I'm not really that fond of the Sansa sound sig, but 99% who listen to then end up LOVING THEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back