Need Beautiful Sound. Need Help.
Oct 26, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #16 of 40

Logistics

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 29, 2007
Posts
640
Likes
51
Guys, I want to finally break down and buy a portable music player. All I care about is the sound quality. I was thinking an iPod Nano + amp, but I'm definitely open to other suggestions because I don't want to be stuck with iTunes; I want drag-and-drop. Is the iPod the only player with a line-out?

Something along the lines of 4GB would be good enough. That would allow me to hold around 8 albums if they were all in WAV format, and that will only be necessary for the ones I do critical listening on.

Edit: I hope to have the ability to output it to an after-market stereo head-unit for my vehicle as well.
 
Oct 26, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #17 of 40

i_don't_know

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 4, 2008
Posts
1,091
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Logistics /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, I want to finally break down and buy a portable music player. All I care about is the sound quality. I was thinking an iPod Nano + amp, but I'm definitely open to other suggestions because I don't want to be stuck with iTunes; I want drag-and-drop. Is the iPod the only player with a line-out?

Something along the lines of 4GB would be good enough. That would allow me to hold around 8 albums if they were all in WAV format, and that will only be necessary for the ones I do critical listening on.

Edit: I hope to have the ability to output it to an after-market stereo head-unit for my vehicle as well.



Sansa Clip. Available in 1, 2, 4, and soon 8gb versions. FLAC support. Best sound quality you'll find in an mp3 player.
 
Oct 26, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #18 of 40

tds101

Formerly known as nywytboy68
Joined
May 5, 2008
Posts
4,629
Likes
106
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sansa Clip. Available in 1, 2, 4, and soon 8gb versions. FLAC support. Best sound quality you'll find in an mp3 player.


Or, for a larger capacity w/the same great SQ: a Sansa Fuze! Larger capacity as in microSD card slot. And, you can find it on Amazon for $93.93: Amazon.com: SanDisk Sansa Fuze 8 GB MP3 Player (Silver): Electronics
 
Oct 27, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #19 of 40

i_don't_know

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 4, 2008
Posts
1,091
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or, for a larger capacity w/the same great SQ: a Sansa Fuze! Larger capacity as in microSD card slot. And, you can find it on Amazon for $93.93: Amazon.com: SanDisk Sansa Fuze 8 GB MP3 Player (Silver): Electronics


But it's chunkier. I think there should be a Clip V2 with a micro SD slot. That thing would just completely destroy all the competition.
 
Oct 27, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #21 of 40

my.self

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 1, 2008
Posts
796
Likes
11
if u get an SD card for mp3 players, i think if not all, most of them become kind of like split memory. im not sure how to explain it that well so here's an example

if u buy a 8 gig mp3 player with an 8 gig SD card, when u turn on ur mp3, u can either access ur 8 gig that was built in or ur 8 gig SD card. i dont think u can merge the two together into one 16 gig device. im like..80-90% sure this is the case for all mp3's that support SD memory. keep that in mind cuz i know for sure that i personally wouldnt like something like that. i like the idea, but not the reality of it.
 
Oct 27, 2008 at 7:50 AM Post #23 of 40

tds101

Formerly known as nywytboy68
Joined
May 5, 2008
Posts
4,629
Likes
106
Same w/the Fuze, full library integration. But,.......... it's "chunkier"? Oh brother!!!! Never mind, I'm out(LOL)!!!
 
Oct 28, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #24 of 40

Logistics

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 29, 2007
Posts
640
Likes
51
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or, for a larger capacity w/the same great SQ: a Sansa Fuze! Larger capacity as in microSD card slot. And, you can find it on Amazon for $93.93: Amazon.com: SanDisk Sansa Fuze 8 GB MP3 Player (Silver): Electronics


This looks like what I'll end up getting. Drag-and-drop, microSD, 4GB+, and didn't someone mention that there's a possibility of Line-Out with software updates? Because, again I was really hoping to do external headphone amplification as well as be able to use it with an after-market car stereo.
 
Oct 28, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #25 of 40

Logistics

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 29, 2007
Posts
640
Likes
51
Hmm... now I'm questioning whether I should get the Fuze 4GB for $68 or the Cowon D2 4GB for around $100'ish. The Cowon D2 sure is a beautiful piece of hardware compared to the Fuze.

What say you?

Edit: Do you have to use their software to drag-and-drop or can you just use Windows as normal?
 
Oct 28, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #27 of 40

tds101

Formerly known as nywytboy68
Joined
May 5, 2008
Posts
4,629
Likes
106
The D2 does sound better(I have both also, plus the clip), and it's drag & drop. Works with any OS actually.
 
Oct 28, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #28 of 40

pangpang

New Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 28, 2008
Posts
3
Likes
0
my friends , i d like to give you some suggestions .

i am a chinese ,and i also a IAUDIO COWON D2 fan.

D2 is a good players with BBE .

I think you should choose Kenwood HD mp3 players which we talked

about more in China and Japan.

Cowon is not the best of the world.

Sony is a good choice,but not its mp3 players.

Sony pcm-D50 is a recorder ,but with a great SQ.

IF you have chances ,better to listen audio by your self .

Every one'S opinion on SQ is different .
 
Oct 28, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #29 of 40

boozcool

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 21, 2008
Posts
1,161
Likes
178
Hands down, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the BEST sound quality in MP3 players is from the most recent Sony Walkman series.
I had a chance to sample all of the major MP3 players (Cowon, Apple, Sandisk, etc.) side by side, and the Sonys blew all of them out of the water. I even tried using the XM4 portable amp with the Sony Walkman in hopes of achieving even better sound, and the differences were barely noticeable.
I own the NWZ-A829, which is 16gb and has stereo bluetooth 2.0. For normal listening, I use the Audio Technica ATH-CK7 in-ear headphones. And with my Dell BH200 Bluetooth 2.0 headphones, I get great wireless sound quality for working out at the gym. Until lossless bluetooth comes out (hopefully soon?), I believe this is the best wireless option.
 
Oct 28, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #30 of 40

Caribou679

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 26, 2007
Posts
1,051
Likes
19
Quote:

Originally Posted by boozcool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hands down, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the BEST sound quality in MP3 players is from the most recent Sony Walkman series.
I had a chance to sample all of the major MP3 players (Cowon, Apple, Sandisk, etc.) side by side, and the Sonys blew all of them out of the water. I even tried using the XM4 portable amp with the Sony Walkman in hopes of achieving even better sound, and the differences were barely noticeable.
I own the NWZ-A829, which is 16gb and has stereo bluetooth 2.0. For normal listening, I use the Audio Technica ATH-CK7 in-ear headphones. And with my Dell BH200 Bluetooth 2.0 headphones, I get great wireless sound quality for working out at the gym. Until lossless bluetooth comes out (hopefully soon?), I believe this is the best wireless option.



Too bad it does not play Ogg or FLAC or Apple Loosless!!

regards,
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top