need audiophile mp3 player, does that exist?
Dec 28, 2004 at 4:54 PM Post #31 of 69
Friday I just got my iaudio m3 40 gb. The sound is very good, but you need to play through the remote. My remote came w/ a loose wire. If I plug directly into the unit, it sounds very good. It sounds bad through the remote. With all mp3 players, I think the amps are pretty weak. It breaks up at higher volumes. It sounds much better to play a few notches (or more) below max. In comparision, my portable cd player has a stronger amp.
For the m3, you can play it through the line out, but you need to use the supplied connector (& avoiding the remote). I ordered the group buy Porta Corda amp, but its not here yet. So I can't say how it sounds. When the amp comes, I will post again. The remote from the player needs to be replaced. I may have to return the whole unit.
I don't have great phones yet either. I am playing them through px200's. After the amp comes, I will get new phones.
I am leaning towards SR-80's or MS-1's. Any other suggestions?

Dec 28, 2004 at 5:25 PM Post #33 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Do
Do other current Archos players have a digital out besides the Av320.

To my knowledge all players that came out after the av3xx series do not have digital out.
frown.gif

Dec 28, 2004 at 5:38 PM Post #34 of 69
I might be getting the av320 soon to go with the flute. I'll get the flute fiirst once finished to go along with my d-ej2000 and blue Cable Pro opical mini plug. (30$) Do you know if the mini plug will work with the Archos? I would rather not have to purchase another cable. Also,where can I get my hands on an Archos to see if I like it? In case you don't know the Flute will be about $450 including external battery pack.

Dec 28, 2004 at 5:51 PM Post #35 of 69
I haven't read every word of this thread, so my apologies if this has been said, but the IHP-120/40 has optical out, too, which really helps. I wish my ipod had it so I could utilise the DAC in my amp.

Dec 28, 2004 at 6:04 PM Post #36 of 69
My old Archos JBR20 had a mini(1/8")-coax digital-out, not optical. Not sure about the av320 series though.

My recent disappointments with current DAP's has led me to reconsider Hi-MD. I can record over 1.5 hours of lossless PCM to a Hi-MD disc, and the new Sony digital amp section sounds great (at least on the Qualia 017 MD player I heard that shares the same amp as the top two standard HiMD units). Battery life is significantly lessened when playing PCM (~5hours), but removable rechargable batteries, and AA backup battery packs make that not such a problem.

Dec 28, 2004 at 6:05 PM Post #37 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Do
I might be getting the av320 soon to go with the flute. I'll get the flute fiirst once finished to go along with my d-ej2000 and blue Cable Pro opical mini plug. (30$) Do you know if the mini plug will work with the Archos? I would rather not have to purchase another cable. Also,where can I get my hands on an Archos to see if I like it? In case you don't know the Flute will be about $450 including external battery pack.

I've got a flute preordered as well although that was not the price I was quoted. Perhaps he left out the price of the battery pack.

In any case, the AV320 uses a 4 conductor mini for its video connection and uses the yellow rca when using the digital out. I am having a custom cable made by headphile that will have a 4 conductor mini at one end and a mono mini at the other end [he's bridging a stereo mini to mono].

This graphic explains the av320's connection better:
attachment.php

So you would need to get a custom cable. From what I have been reading in recent threads, it looks like the general consensus is that coax is better than optical in any case.

I ordered my av320 from hotmp3gear.com. Scott, the guy that runs the site, lives in Canada, but has an american location as well I believe. He is very helpfull and let me pick it up from his home.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 28, 2004 at 6:13 PM Post #38 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
My old Archos JBR20 had a mini(1/8")-coax digital-out, not optical. Not sure about the av320 series though.

My recent disappointments with current DAP's has led me to reconsider Hi-MD. I can record over 1.5 hours of lossless PCM to a Hi-MD disc, and the new Sony digital amp section sounds great (at least on the Qualia 017 MD player I heard that shares the same amp as the top two standard HiMD units). Battery life is significantly lessened when playing PCM (~5hours), but removable rechargable batteries, and AA backup battery packs make that not such a problem.

jpelg, you and I both!! I'm also about to try out Hi-MD disc again...

Dec 28, 2004 at 6:17 PM Post #39 of 69
1000 hours VS. 1.5 hours makes it a no brainer for me

[ok, I dont have 1000 hours yet... but I will as soon as I upgrade my harddrive]

Dec 28, 2004 at 6:46 PM Post #40 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox

[ok, I dont have 1000 hours yet... but I will as soon as I upgrade my harddrive]

Well, yeah, but you can bring more than one disc with you...
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2004 at 6:54 PM Post #41 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
Well, yeah, but you can bring more than one disc with you...
biggrin.gif

Yes, but how many discs would it take before your Hi-MD player+media was larger than my DAP? And I dont even want to think about searching through 500 discs to find an album.
eek.gif

Conversly, If you are constantly rerecording the same media, it becomes as inconvenient as a memory card based player.

Dec 28, 2004 at 7:02 PM Post #42 of 69
Quote:

Good points, but...

1. I listen to whole albums at a time. Playlists mean absolutely nothing to me, so one or two discs at a time are fine for me. And I have the option of carrying a few more if I want (they don't take up too much space). I realize that is not most people's portable music style, but for me it would work.

2. Player size. The Archos units (save the most recent, which I have yet to hear) are just too big & bulky. If I were to go that large, I'd just stay with my wonderful-sounding PCDP w/an amp (which I still may end up doing).

3. Amp quality. I haven't heard the av320, but my old JBR20 was just "ok" sounding sans amp. The MD unit I heard recently was really great sounding with my Ety's directly from it's headphone-out & no EQ on.

4. No PC necessary. For the top units, I can record directly from the source using the optical-in. No funky software, no special drivers, no computer at all!

Of course, these are my preferences, and may not come close to anyone elses. So...

Dec 28, 2004 at 7:15 PM Post #43 of 69
Good points, but...
evil_smiley.gif
Quote:

I listen to whole albums at a time. Playlists mean absolutely nothing to me, so one or two discs at a time are fine for me. And I have the option of carrying a few more if I want (they don't take up too much space). I realize that is not most people's portable music style, but for me it would work.

Actually I am the same way. I have never once put my DAP on random. I do like to have most of my music with me all the time though as I listen to very different music depending on what mood I am in. Because of this, having only a few albums with me becomes quite frustrating. Quote:

Player size. The Archos units (save the most recent, which I have yet to hear) are just too big & bulky.

Its just not an issue for me I guess. I could see it being a problem if you wanted to carry it in your pocket, but personally I always have a bag that I keep it in. I like to keep my expensive investments safe.
smily_headphones1.gif
I do have a belt clip on my Piel Frama case and have used it from time to time when going to the post office or for walks with my K26P's. Quote:

Amp quality. I haven't heard the av320, but my old JBR20 was just "ok" sounding sans amp. The MD unit I heard recently was really great sounding with my Ety's directly from it's headphone-out & no EQ on.

It has better amplification than any PCDP that I've tried and kills the 3G iPod and Nomad Zen. I havent had a chance to compare to the Karma or any of the iRiver DAP's unfortunately Quote:

No PC necessary. For the top units, I can record directly from the source using the optical-in. No funky software, no special drivers, no computer at all!

Uh, so can I.
biggrin.gif

The AV320 can record from and play back to any digital or analog device. That goes for both audio and video.
cool.gif

Dec 28, 2004 at 7:37 PM Post #44 of 69
Quote:

The AV320 can record from and play back to any digital or analog device. That goes for both audio and video.

<Johnny Carson voice>"I did not know that!"

Neat. Other than the size thing, the av320 sounds like a winner. Does it use AA batteries like the JBR20, or proprietary rechargables? Does it come with a remote?

Dec 28, 2004 at 8:01 PM Post #45 of 69
lol @ the johhny carson voice
icon10.gif

It has a proprietary Lithium-Ion battery. They are supposed to last the life of the unit, but that is just a plain lie. I've had mine for around 1 year and it started getting pretty crappy charges, so I bought a replacement from a 3rd party company and it holds a longer charge that the original did when I bought it.
wink.gif

The video module [required to record video] comes with a full sized IR remote. There is also an FM module that has a portable inline remote, but I havent bothered with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back