Need an upgrade from SoundMagic e10.
Jun 12, 2013 at 3:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

GhostW

New Head-Fier
Hey guys! I owned a PL21, e30 and then e10. All of them died few weeks after their warranty ends. SoundMagic offers great IEM at affordable prices. Damn. I just wish their build are more "solid" (I'm just one hell of an owner).

Please recommend me an upgrade from e10. I know it's crazy to ask for an upgrade around the same price range. So, anything below $250.

Oh, and I'm more of a treble person than a basshead. 

Jun 12, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:
Hey guys! I owned a PL21, e30 and then e10. All of them died few weeks after their warranty ends. SoundMagic offers great IEM at affordable prices. Damn. I just wish their build are more "solid" (I'm just one hell of an owner).

Please recommend me an upgrade from e10. I know it's crazy to ask for an upgrade around the same price range. So, anything below $250.

Oh, and I'm more of a treble person than a basshead. 

If you don't mind V shaped sound sig, Triple Fi has good treble and bass. Etymotic is also a very good option if you are a treble head.

Mar 26, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #3 of 10
Did you try repairing your e10's? open them up with help of hairdryer. do not over heat! desolder cables from drivers, most likely the cable has shorted to chasis, trim the damaged cable and solder it upside down, so cables are pointing up. i used silver based solder. clean old glue with alcohol, glue with 2 part epoxy. i had no problems since

Sep 17, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #4 of 10
Bump - anyone knows if E30 / E50 / E80 are a direct upgrade to the E10? I'm looking for about the same sound signature (just slightly elevated bass, good balance, and great imaging, I don't value airiness that much as long as it's good separation).

Price is not a problem - I've just come to trust the brand and looking for an upgrade - which are most similar to E10 but an upgrade?

Thanks all!

Sep 17, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #5 of 10
Yes. I would describe the E50 as a direct upgrade. My teenage son has been a long time E10 user. This summer I got the E50 for me and compared them. We both felt like it's a good next step up for someone that is into the E10 sound. E80 is supposedly more neutral than E10/E50 (have not heard them)

However, they are a touch more difficult to drive. If you are already listening with your volume maxed out with E10, you might find you want a headphone amp.

Sep 17, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #6 of 10
Alright! Thanks for the help, I'm still thinking between E50 and E80 - but more hope for E50 since it's mentioned it has fuller bass.

I use an iPod 5.5, even 75% volume here is almost "very loud".

Sep 17, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #7 of 10
I'm not an Apple person, so don't know what that means in terms of volume. But it can easily drive the E10 to volumes much louder than you typically listen, I would imagine that E50 would be fine.

Amazon has them now, too, if you are in the US. So if you order them and don't like them, return shipping is your "demo" fee.

Sep 17, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #8 of 10
I'm not an Apple person, so don't know what that means in terms of volume. But it can easily drive the E10 to volumes much louder than you typically listen, I would imagine that E50 would be fine.

Amazon has them now, too, if you are in the US. So if you order them and don't like them, return shipping is your "demo" fee.

Generally iPod 5.5 has good power for a portable device. Haven't tried others, iPhone 4S did great too, but was no match to the iPod in terms of sound quality.

amazon.co.uk has shipping to Croatia as well, will give it a try there, hope they accept returns as well. Will order HP150s along with the package.
Hoping to make my first comparison soon :)

Thx for the help.

Sep 17, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #9 of 10
HP150s sound great. I sold mine because I upgraded, but kind of regret it. I did enjoy them a lot. Not a big v-shape, but they have a bit of sub bass emphasis--not an upper midbass emphasis like many headphones). So with say classic rock, I didn't notice much of a bass increase. But with genres that have a deep bass extension like EDM, it would help to highlight it.

Sep 17, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #10 of 10
Right! Considering everything I've read about them they seem to be my thing completely. Tight, yet not totally V (more balanced). Wide soundstage, but not too airy and distant and most important for me - good separation.

Makes it great for modern metal I so adore. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back