Need an opinion before creating a thread.
Sep 28, 2017 at 2:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

CalvinPixels

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Quick question, I'm thinking of creating a thread under the "Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors" sections with a list of audio stuff that I have reviewed and will be reviewing in the future (CalvinPixels' Review List). I run a Youtube channel namely CalvinPixels (https://www.youtube.com/calvinpixels) review tech stuff.

My idea for the thread where audio stuff is categories based on price , the item's name and the youtube link. I won't be sharing any referral links on headfi.

Example:

""
Under 50USD
1. Blitzwolf BW-ES2 (link) , dual drivers for bass lovers, mix feelings about this
2. Tesoro In-Ear Pro (link), gaming orientated, built is solid

""

My question is would it be fine creating stuff thread ? (wouldn't want to be ban). Feedbacks is welcomed.

I have seen some user do similar style:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...nd-impressions-sharing-reference-list.805930/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ran...ut-introduction-and-reviews-on-page-1.826876/

Sep 28, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 4
Both of those threads you linked to have the majority of the actual reviews hosted here (on Head-Fi), so they are essentially lists for the members here to easily link to reviews hosted here and have discussions (here). From what I see, you're proposing to have a list that will take people off-site to your youtube channel. Or essentially you're using Head-Fi as free advertisement for your youtube channel. The more visitors you get, the more your channel becomes a tool for either a revenue spinner or as a means of getting more samples so it can grow. As you've probably guessed - no we wouldn't be happy with that.

Put it this way - if you were the owner of the site here - would you be happy seeing someone come in with an entire 6 posts to their name (since 2015) - creating a page to take our members off-site to advertise your youtube channel?

So lets look at the obvious ways you can do this:
  1. Your list would go into the members Lounge (like mine is)
  2. Your content could be embedded here, but if you're simply linking to your channel to get people to go off-site, then forget it. The way to do this is write a review, put it in our Showcase section, embed your video in the review. That way people stay here. This site is for our contributing members.
  3. The discussion needs to take place here.
Hopefully that helps clarify a little bit. And if you think I'm being a bit hard, look at it from our POV. We have a site here that generates hundreds of thousands of visitors a week. If we allow people to use the site as free advertisement to their own, before long the place would be a mess of ads and links.

Any other questions - fire away.

Sep 28, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #3 of 4
Agreed what you had mentioned, I'll skip the youtube linking idea.

I think it would be best for me to do the standard review (Pictures, Features, The opinion and Video embed) in showcase section. Then a list (like yours) on the member lounge much later on.

Anything not to say in the video if its embedded here?

Thanks for explaining, luckily I asked before attempted the idea.

Sep 28, 2017 at 3:23 AM Post #4 of 4
Read the ToS and the Posting Guidelines - thats always a good start. And avoid advertising - its supposed to be a review, not an advertisement for a company. Give your honest opinion, and let people know what your own bias is - so they can take that into account.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back