Need an advice or two for picking out a sound card!
Jun 18, 2009 at 8:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

corrupt_file

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I recently purchased AH-D2000 and expecting it to arrive at my door within a week.

I currently have a HT Omega Striker sound card, and I am considering for an upgrade to either Claro Plus + or Claro Halo.

I am stuck in a dillema because AH-D2000 is only 25ohms in impedance, so I shouldn't really need an amp. But having better components on a higher end sound card will *probably* improve the SQ.

Claro Plus + has a very good op-amp integrated on to the circuit, while Claro Halo was designed specifically for headphone users and has a built in amp. The price (in Canada) goes $169.99 for Claro Plus+, and 199.99 for Claro Halo.

Striker indeed is a good card, but knowing that there are products out there that could potentially improve SQ, just bothers me A LOT not to try them out, especially when they can be had for a reasonable price.

If there is not much of a difference from striker -> claro plus / halo, I might just stick with striker to save $$$ for a rainy day.
smily_headphones1.gif

Has anyone tried striker and either claro plus+ or claro halo?
Anybody have any advices? I am pretty much a newbie when it comes to headphone experience so any inputs are welcome!

Many thanks,
JY

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #2 of 7
can I ask you for a simple test by any chance?

can you play a 44.1Khz file through DirectShow, then simultaneously a 96KHz in ASIO w/ foobar...does it work? does the card resample ASIO to 44.1KHz, or does the ASIO driver say "can't set hardware samplerate"
confused.gif

is it the same w/ KS? and does it have a fixed samplerate in the drivers?

I've put a 24/96 test pattern here : MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

the Asus STX will resample! professional soundcards don't(M-Audio/RME/Lynx/Roland/even Creative...)

depending on the results, I might take the jump on the Claro Halo...and publish a comparison against the STX/ST
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks!

Jun 18, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can I ask you for a simple test by any chance?

can you play a 44.1Khz file through DirectShow, then simultaneously a 96KHz in ASIO w/ foobar...does it work? does the card resample ASIO to 44.1KHz, or does the ASIO driver say "can't set hardware samplerate"
confused.gif

is it the same w/ KS? and does it have a fixed samplerate in the drivers?

I've put a 24/96 test pattern here : MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

the Asus STX will resample! professional soundcards don't(M-Audio/RME/Lynx/Roland/even Creative...)

depending on the results, I might take the jump on the Claro Halo...and publish a comparison against the STX/ST
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks!

I am a little confused.
I don't have a claro halo card so I cannot do the test if that's what your inquiring about.

Your post sounds completely un-related to my post, so I sugguest you to start another thread...
confused_face.gif

JY

Jun 18, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #4 of 7
lol, you do have a claro card, right?

anyway, nvm...my enquiry might have been too technical indeed
wink.gif

and from what I read the Claro cards use the generic 8788 drivers anyway...so no bit-perfect for you..

Jun 18, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, you do have a claro card, right?

anyway, nvm...my enquiry might have been too technical indeed
wink.gif

and from what I read the Claro cards use the generic 8788 drivers anyway...so no bit-perfect for you..

No, and no.

I have a striker card, and I was asking if replacing it to a claro card would be an upgrade or not.

Quote:

I currently have a HT Omega Striker sound card, and I am considering for an upgrade to either Claro Plus + or Claro Halo.

I do understand perfectly what your inquiry is, I was confused because I got the impression that you've asked me to perform the test with claro card which I do not have.
tongue_smile.gif

cheers, JY

Jun 18, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #6 of 7
well yeah, I meant HT Omega actually....well it runs the generic C-Media drivers I guess? what happens if you run my test? they resample 96KHz ASIO to 44.1?
frown.gif

Jun 20, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by corrupt_file /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello all,
I am stuck in a dillema because AH-D2000 is only 25ohms in impedance, so I shouldn't really need an amp.

A decent amp will improve the sound quality of the D2000 significantly and may be something to consider depending on your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back