need amp with nice synergy to my cans
Jul 24, 2011 at 8:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

cck5

500+ Head-Fier
hello all,

ive finally decided i am set in stone and keeping my 325I and not upgrading into the woodied grados because it makes no sense to me.

now id like to give them the proper current and not out of my hp out of my ipod.

can some1 suggest amps that synergy nicely with my grados.

i listen mostly to extreme forms of metal and classic rock if that matters.

also can we name some amps in different price brackets as my budget varies all the time.

lets say $100-300 dollar range. can be used.

thank you.

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #2 of 6
I heard that tubes amps are nice for grados. 
Look for the hybrid/tube amps, as the provide the high current that low-impedance cans need. 

Examples:

-Little Dot 1+
-Hifiman EF2
-Starving Student Hybrid (DIY)

Jul 26, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #3 of 6
Grados do well with tubes, but you have to have an amp with a low output impedance.

If a manufacturer won't or can't tell you the actual output impedance, do not buy their amp. Do not settle for "it works with everything," either. Demand a number.

You need an output impedance below 32 Ohms. Anything higher won't have proper control over the driver.

The easiest way to determine this is if the amp has output transformers. If it does, then it should have an output impedance low enough to drive Grados. Garden variety OTLs will not. The only commercial exception is the Zana Deux, which has a low output impedance thanks to its 6C33C tubes. Any other OTL does not, no matter what the marketing literature says.

Some hybrid amps might have a low output impedance - ask the manufacturer. Demand actual numbers, not claims and testimonials.

Solid state almost always has a low output impedance. Almost all of them would be a safe bet.

Jul 26, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #4 of 6
ehh i think im headed in the solid state direction.

something like

an rsa amp
pico
fiio e11
alo rx
meir headsix/3move

i mainly listen to metal, so something that would make the bass nicer, and accent or clean up the treble and mids would be amazing.

Jul 26, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 6
The matrix-m stage is a solid looking amp, with very fine craftsmanship. I recommend checking that out too. 

Jul 26, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #6 of 6
last i checked this was the portables section..

it will be used at home, but id like the ability to walk around maybe to the back of my house. lay in bed move to my desk.

so if its a bit bigger its fine, but id like battery operated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back