Need AMP advice for Denon D600s
Feb 3, 2013 at 1:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

epoq

WARNING; SCAMMER. Had packages sent to someone else's address.
Email address: ryanepoq@hotmail.com
Possibly picking up a pretty much brand new pair of D600's from a friend on the cheap ($300).  Looking at amps, I am considering a Schiit Asgard or a FiiO E9.  DAC is sound card (X-Fi Titanium HD).  Would there be an audible difference inbetween this two amplifiers on a pair of D600's?  I haven't read anywhere that they are hard to drive at all, so I didn't know if it was even worth spending the extra money to go to a higher end amp like the Schiit over a less costly choice like the FiiO.  Any input would be appreciated.

Feb 3, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
Possibly picking up a pretty much brand new pair of D600's from a friend on the cheap ($300).  Looking at amps, I am considering a Schiit Asgard or a FiiO E9.  DAC is sound card (X-Fi Titanium HD).  Would there be an audible difference inbetween this two amplifiers on a pair of D600's?  I haven't read anywhere that they are hard to drive at all, so I didn't know if it was even worth spending the extra money to go to a higher end amp like the Schiit over a less costly choice like the FiiO.  Any input would be appreciated.

The Denon D600 are 25-Ohm headphones, so it would be preferred to use a headphone amplifier with an output impedance of 3-Ohms or less, the Fiio E9/E09K have an output impedance of 10-Ohms.
The Schiit Asgard might be overkill?
So the Schiit Magni might be a better value and has an output impedance of less then 1-Ohm.

Feb 3, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #3 of 6
Interesting.  One more that I'm considering is the Maverick TubeMagic A1.  Reason being is that I currently have a passive speaker setup running through a stereo amplifier and I'd like to downsize it (because it's huge).  The TubeMagic would allow for me to use the headphone amp and also plug the speakers into it and just switch between the inputs.  It's listed as a "minimum headphone impedance of 16ohms".  Being that the Denon's are 25, would this be a potential acceptable solution?

In terms of overkill, is that all it is?  It won't actually negatively affect the sound quality of the headphone, no?

Feb 3, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Interesting.  One more that I'm considering is the Maverick TubeMagic A1.  Reason being is that I currently have a passive speaker setup running through a stereo amplifier and I'd like to downsize it (because it's huge).  The TubeMagic would allow for me to use the headphone amp and also plug the speakers into it and just switch between the inputs.  It's listed as a "minimum headphone impedance of 16ohms".  Being that the Denon's are 25, would this be a potential acceptable solution?

In terms of overkill, is that all it is?  It won't actually negatively affect the sound quality of the headphone, no?

As I've never used the D600s or Maverick TubeMagic A1, so I really can't say either way on how well that combo works.
Maybe ask here about amping the Denon D600.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/620938/new-denon-music-maniac-urban-raver-lines-d7100-d600-d400-c300-appreciation-thread

Using the Schiit Asgard with the D600 might make a great combo.
To me, 25-Ohm Denon headphones seem more designed to work well with portable audio devices (IPods, iPhones, Smart phones, mp3 players, etc).
So how much could they really benefit from anything more then the $99 Schiit Magni?

Feb 3, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #5 of 6
little dot mk 1 or odac+o2 combo

Feb 3, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #6 of 6
I guess I should clarify.  IF possible I would like to have an integrated amplifier that I can wire my passive speakers AND my headphones to.  I want something with a smaller footprint than a full sized stereo amplifier/receiver. Any suggestions in this realm?  the Maverick and the Audioengine N22 are the only ones I've seen in this arena.  And note, I do not want one that also has an integrated DAC as I am using the X-Fi Titanium for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back