Need Ambient/Goa Trance recommendations.
Sep 6, 2004 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

HiGHFLYiN9

Member of the Trade: Zynsonix
Hey all, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons and am looking for some artists similar to Infected Mushroom, Shpongle, Ott, Hallucinogen, and the like. If you could recommend some artists and briefly describe the type of music they produce it would rock! The above four artists are listed in order of preference if thats any indication of what I'm going for.

Sep 6, 2004 at 2:51 AM Post #3 of 10
I'm stuck in this same "void" as well. As far as my goa / psy collection goes I really don't know much outside of IM/Shpongle/Hallucinogen. Try sampling through the collection at psyshop.com and one of my favorite sources for goa / psy trance is the "p h i l o s o m a t i k a" internet radio on iTunes.

Sep 7, 2004 at 9:24 AM Post #4 of 10
highflyin9, Yesturday I posted a thread similar to this one on a psytrance forum. The only difference between your thread and mine is that I limited my request only to artists that are like Infected Mushroom. I describe being "like" Infected Mushroom as psytrance that's is primarily built around a melody. When I mean built around a melody, I mean that the beat, and all ambient environments reflect and interact the melody and vice versa. You know what EVERY person who replied to my thread said? They said "There's noone like infected mushroom, or even close."

Another quality of my favorite IM tunes is that the melodies are a nice pace. Often in psytrance you've got people calling a series of notes going at 132 bpm a melody. That's not a melody to me. When I think "melody" in regards to psytrance, I think of something I can hum along, or along with at full volume.

Anyway, I still have a little hope. I've been downloading music like crazy and listen to internet radio in search of electronic artists who I could enjoy as much as IM, but so far I've come up with nothing.

In regards to Hallucinogen, The Mysted Muppet (who's newest album is "From the Legend") is a similar artist. They build really dark environments which sound cool, so there's your eerie/ambient, but they don't get my head nodding like IM does.

I wouldn't be surprised if you know about Violet Vision if your an ambient and goa fan, but if you don't, definitely check them out. One of my favorite tracks by VV is "Your Voice", which is a beautifullly written chillout/ambient track. Then again, you may have heard their music already and think it sucks, and that I'm psychotic, :p

Sep 7, 2004 at 7:14 PM Post #5 of 10
first suggestion. you people are in prime positioning to explore Shulman
get both of his albums, get them NOW!!!!

as far as psytrance, it doesnt get any better than Sub 6, Pixel, or Eskimo

these three have put out some real gold.
anyone feel free to hook me up on AIM and can help with your psytrance forays
biggrin.gif

Sep 8, 2004 at 2:03 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by highflyin9
Hey all, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons and am looking for some artists similar to Infected Mushroom, Shpongle, Ott, Hallucinogen, and the like. If you could recommend some artists and briefly describe the type of music they produce it would rock! The above four artists are listed in order of preference if thats any indication of what I'm going for.

3 out of 4 you've mentioned are on Twisted...and 2 out of 4 are Simon Posford projects. Honestly, I think you'll be disappointed with anything else (I was). IMO, that's as legitimite as the genre gets. You can't go wrong with anything Simon Posford touches.

What you really do need to get, if you don't have it yet, is Celtic Cross' Hicksville. It's a collaboration between Simon Posford and Youth...it's very similar to the other Posford stuff you've heard, but with a bit of a Celtic flare. It's a great album.

Honestly, I've found a lot more gems and a lot more satisfying albums to sit down and listen to in the downtempo. The Mystery of the Yeti albums on TIP World are AMAZING (life-changing). Dub Tree's "Mother Nature Never Betrayed the Heart That Loved Her" is also excellent.

If you don't have Backroom Beats Volume 1, the first release on Simon Posford's downtempo label, pull out the credit card and order that up. You'll be in lounging sonic bliss for weeks.

Sep 8, 2004 at 10:47 PM Post #7 of 10
deviant electronics - brainwashing is childsplay.

it's a fairly old album and i've been trying to find a copy what seems to be forever - i've only 128kbit mp3's and i hate the quality.. i would love to own the cd. Dimension 5 are another favourite of mine (again i've never managed to get my hands on the cd's of theirs much to my frustration) Much of the DE stuff from that album fits well with hallucinogen but the D5 stuff is more melodic.

For those that are into the twisted/posford sound check out Prometheus (yet again on the twisted label) the Robot-o-chan album has a few tracks there i love (esp the title track) For something more shpongle-y try Jairamji - the kindred spirits album is damn nice. Violet Vision I'd class similarly and have already been mentioned. If you're after more "full-on" psy I'd reccomend stuff like MFG - they're old but damn good.. up there with hallucinogen for me in the dark acid/psy stuff.

As for IM - It's true that there's nobody with anything quite like their style. There are plenty of great artists but if you're looking for something sounding like them. You're out of luck. The only thing you'll get sounding similar is co-op tracks etc with IM e.g Jorg on Mushroom (being Dj Jorg + IM) - speaking of which their track "The Messenger" is 11+minutes of melodic psy goodness.

Feel free to contact me on msn or icq to talk music. (I'm always open to new musical suggestions)

Sep 9, 2004 at 7:36 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Okkler
Astral Projection

www.psyshop.com

if you're after astral projection (or MFG for that matter) - cut out the middleman and get it from Phonokol VERY good prices but they dont track stock level on the website so it's best to have a couple of alternate titles you're after when buying from them. (last time i got about 10cd's from them for iirc $100usd delivered)

Sep 12, 2004 at 2:38 AM Post #10 of 10
Not sure if this is quite the same genre as the bands you listed, but I think if you like those you'll like Bluetech's Prima Materia. Good stuff.

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back