Need advise on new soundcard for pc or new headphones, or both?
Jan 9, 2012 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jesb

Head-Fier
Hi guys, I built a new gaming pc a couple months ago, but I never went with a sound card.  Just getting audio straight from the motherboard.  The sound I'm getting is decent from my current HD 555  headphones, but I know it could be better.  So I was just wondering should I have a dedicated sound card for my system, or should I be upgrading my headphones, or do I need to do both?  Not looking to spend more than $150 so not too sure if both is an option.

What do you guys recommend?

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 7

Quote:
Hi guys, I built a new gaming pc a couple months ago, but I never went with a sound card.  Just getting audio straight from the motherboard.  The sound I'm getting is decent from my current HD 555  headphones, but I know it could be better.  So I was just wondering should I have a dedicated sound card for my system, or should I be upgrading my headphones, or do I need to do both?  Not looking to spend more than $150 so not too sure if both is an option.
What do you guys recommend?

The HD-555 are open headphones, do you want to stay with open?
or open or closed does not matter?

Right now you could get the Senn HD-558 ($149)

A low cost sound card like the Asus Xonar DG (PCI, $35), comes with a halfway decent headphone amplifier rated up to 150-Ohm.
Also has Dolby Digital (Dolby Headphone surround sound), which helps with movies and some games.
Not sure how much it will improve the sound of the HD-555.

Jan 9, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
Open or closed, doesn't matter.
Right now you could get the Senn HD-558 ($149)
Is this much better than what I have in the HD 555's?

Reputation wise the HD-558 does everything a little better then the HD-555
The HD-558s have the same driver as the HD-598.
Also you can remove the black rubber tape from inside the cups on the HD-558 to improve the bass.

Jan 10, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #6 of 7
Feb 6, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #7 of 7
Even though the HD558 is a tad better than the HD555, they are IMO both great headphones. (though my experience comes mainly from reading reviews and watching graphs)

Onboard audio however can suffer greatly from interference. Besides the built in amplification quality there's a good chance the audio circuit on the motherboard receives interference from other power circuits that are nearby. Expecially as there are massive amounts of power running through the motherboard between the videocard and processor.

I heard good things about the Asus Xonair. It is supposed to have a pretty decent headphone amp built in, and it won't suffer  (or suffer less) from motherboard interference.

You can however also look at an external DAC/amp. For under €100/$100 you can get a Fiio e10 USB DAC/AMP. I am not sure, but my guess is this would give you the best sound quality*, but would limit you to stereo output and an external box.

*I don't know the impedance curve of the HD555 so I am uncertain if the e10 has enough output power to deliver bass for the HD555, but it is worth investigating.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back