Need advise on IEMs.
Nov 14, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #16 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.weird /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm starting to think a separate mic will make me look stupid.
Its just easier to already have a mic built into your headphones

and i have made my decision, i want to use IEMs for my pc.

You're worrying about looking stupid when sitting at your computer? What do you do, game in front of a audience?

if you insist on having a built in mic, get get the iphone version of any IEM, and they will have a built in mic-- though I have no idea if you will be able to get it to work through a computer, and if you did the quality probably wouldn't be very good, at all.

It really would be easier to go with a pair of full sized cans meant for gaming, so they have a built in mic; or as others have said just use a separate mic.

P.S.- in life usually the easiest things are far from the best, in both the long term, and the short term.

Nov 14, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #18 of 39
etymotic hf2 has a built in mic... i think its within your price range too

and judging by the looks of those HE591 buds... for one thing, it only has a stereo plug, so you'll be only getting two channels... and it looks much bulkier than any IEM's need to be... so im betting that the 'surround' you are getting is nothing more than a gimmick, either acoustically or electronically... either way you will not be hearing footsteps behind you or whatever with those, you will just get fancy stereo at best, unpleasant nauseating sound at worst
the only real way of getting anything close to a surround effect is through processing the sound to fool the ears... things like EAX, dolby headphones, yamaha silent cinema....and unlike the HE591 earbuds, they KNOW where the sound is supposed to come from , and they work best with phones which actually try to reproduce the sound accurately rather than force their own tricks onto the sound... instead of taking a gamble with 'surround IEMs' , i suggest that you pick up a good soundcard for your PC with an emphasis on headphone use.. something like the asus sonar stx

Nov 15, 2009 at 9:23 AM Post #19 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by carmatic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
etymotic hf2 has a built in mic... i think its within your price range too

and judging by the looks of those HE591 buds... for one thing, it only has a stereo plug, so you'll be only getting two channels... and it looks much bulkier than any IEM's need to be... so im betting that the 'surround' you are getting is nothing more than a gimmick, either acoustically or electronically... either way you will not be hearing footsteps behind you or whatever with those, you will just get fancy stereo at best, unpleasant nauseating sound at worst
the only real way of getting anything close to a surround effect is through processing the sound to fool the ears... things like EAX, dolby headphones, yamaha silent cinema....and unlike the HE591 earbuds, they KNOW where the sound is supposed to come from , and they work best with phones which actually try to reproduce the sound accurately rather than force their own tricks onto the sound... instead of taking a gamble with 'surround IEMs' , i suggest that you pick up a good soundcard for your PC with an emphasis on headphone use.. something like the asus sonar stx

Lol, i am actually planning to get the asus xonar soundcard myself too
smile_phones.gif
. The earhpones you showed me looked cool, i think i might get me a pair.

Edit: However, the microphone is going to need to be compatible with my pc... Does anybody know if iphone compatable microphones work with a pc as well?

Nov 15, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #20 of 39
Nov 16, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #23 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.weird /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit: However, the microphone is going to need to be compatible with my pc... Does anybody know if iphone compatable microphones work with a pc as well?

I highly doubt that. Usually the sound card on a pc has two stereo jacks, one for input one for output, where in the iphone case its a 3-channel jack that has one channel dedicated to microphone.

And I suggest you should either:
1. get a pair of fullsize surround headphones
2. get a pair of regular IEMs, and a dedicated microphone. No IEMs I've seen has two plugs for pc gaming.

I think you are asking for wrong things in the wrong forum... because they offer piss poor sound quality for general audio purpose and are grossly overpriced. So no one really cares about them here, not in an audiophile forum.

Nov 16, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #24 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by derek8555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I highly doubt that. Usually the sound card on a pc has two stereo jacks, one for input one for output,

actually, it would have 1 stereo jack for output, and one mono jack for the mic

all you need is a TRRS-to-stereo and mic splitter to get the HF2 to work with your soundcard

the best i can come up with is asking these guys https://www.kvconnection.com/Articles.asp?ID=135 to make you one?

Nov 17, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #25 of 39
I think i solved my problem. I could buy normal non surround sound IEMs that come with a microphone that is compatible with my pc, then buy a surround sound adapter to plug them in! So yeah, any recommendations on good IEMs that have a mic? Maybe some advise on a virtual surround sound adapter...
And would surround sound cables improve my sound quality?
biggrin.gif

Ok, so here's my plan for my Pc sound system so far:
I have purchased the ASUS Vh222h Monitor. To my surprise it has come with built in speakers and a headphone jack, for the screen's audio to work, the screen needs an audio cable that connects the audio port of the pc to the screen (which i have), but you could also connect your headphones directly to the monitor so that you don't need to crawl under the table and plug your earphones into the pc (the monitor acts as an extension).

So now i intend to buy some IEMs (because i really like them, allot) to plug into the monitor, but i also want a microphone. A problem with having the microphone is that the monitor does not have a microphone jack, so i am gonna buy a microphone cable extension to connect to my pc's microphone jack and then connect the IEM microphone cable to the extension. Basically, the Sound will be connected to the monitor(which is connected to the sound of the pc) and the microphone will be connected to the pc (via a cable extension). But i also want surround sound, so i am gonna get a 7.1 channel surround sound adapter (with microphone jack) to connect to one of my pc's usb ports and instead of connecting the sound cables to my pc, they will be connected to this adapter (which is connected to the pc). Thus meaning i have virtual surround sound, working speakers and a microphone in my IEMs.

So... any suggestions on good IEMs that comes with a mic that is compatible with pc gaming and has good audio quality? Maybe something with an extra feature such as an option to disable noise isolation to hear the people around you? Just post all the ones you can think of, regardless of price range.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, and do surround sound cables improve your sound quality?
Is there a way to have my sound card and external usb surround sound adapter work simultaneously for better sound quality?

Nov 17, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #26 of 39
Well any normal IEM will be stereo in nature, so 2 channel only. So I don't know how those multi-channel soundcard solve the problem. It is just physically unrealizable...

Also for the surround sound cables... I think that's pure marketing gimmick.

Nov 17, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #27 of 39
An IEM with a extra feature to turn off the noise isolation? Just to answer that, the answer is no, the IEMs isolation is due to its physical attributes(ie the seal), and nothing you can just turn off.

Nov 17, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #28 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by muxenle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An IEM with a extra feature to turn off the noise isolation? Just to answer that, the answer is no, the IEMs isolation is due to its physical attributes(ie the seal), and nothing you can just turn off.

Except if they're active.

Just go with the AD700, HD 555 and call it a day. Why would u want IEMs for gaming? You don't seem to give a reason other than aesthetics, and you'll regret buying something for that, atleast when you get to know what you couldve had and realize no one really cares whats in your ears at ur computer.Nor should they care wherever you are, and you shouldn't care if they care.

Quote:

So now i intend to buy some IEMs (because i really like them, allot) to plug into the monitor, but i also want a microphone. A problem with having the microphone is that the monitor does not have a microphone jack, so i am gonna buy a microphone cable extension to connect to my pc's microphone jack and then connect the IEM microphone cable to the extension. Basically, the Sound will be connected to the monitor(which is connected to the sound of the pc) and the microphone will be connected to the pc (via a cable extension). But i also want surround sound, so i am gonna get a 7.1 channel surround sound adapter (with microphone jack) to connect to one of my pc's usb ports and instead of connecting the sound cables to my pc, they will be connected to this adapter (which is connected to the pc). Thus meaning i have virtual surround sound, working speakers and a microphone in my IEMs.

And tell me again, why do you want to waste that much money on worthless accessories, instead of looking into the best soundstage an universal IEM can give you? The IE8? IEMs can not do surround sound as they can just separate which position something is on the right or left. With a full size headphone, simulation of whats in front of you and behind, is a lot better, but still not as good as what you'd get with speakers. A lot of the things you suggested in your post there will not work out. For isntance plugging phones into the monitor + + + extension cables etc. will make a whole lot of curcuit and degrade the sound as it passes through.

Our advise is getting full size headphones. That's it. No point of asking if you're not even gonna be open about it. And if you wont listen, you wont listen, so then whats the point?

Nov 17, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #29 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by derek8555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well any normal IEM will be stereo in nature, so 2 channel only. So I don't know how those multi-channel soundcard solve the problem. It is just physically unrealizable...

Also for the surround sound cables... I think that's pure marketing gimmick.

Are headphones different?Are headphones multi channel? Because the adapter said that it works with any headphone.
USB 2.0 3D Virtual 7.1 Channel Audio Sound Card Adapter Audio Sound Card Adapter, Virtual 7.1 Channel Audio Sound Card Adapter, USB 2.0 3D Virtual 7.1 Channel Audio Sound Card Adapter - DinoDirect.com

Quote:

The USB virtual 7.1 channel sound adapter is a highly flexible audio inter face which can be used either with desktop or notebook systems. Bundled with Xear 3D sound simulation software, it turns your stereo speaker or earphones into 7.1 channel environment. No drivers required, just plug and play for instant audio playback, also compatible with all major operation systems.

They said it turns stereo speakers or earphones into a 7.1 channel environment.

Nov 17, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #30 of 39
I don't know if you tried Dr.Weird but you can't hear yourself talk with IEMs on. I can't stand it. It's like your head is inside an aquarium.

But do yourself a favor, just get some normal ******* headphones will you? The good people here tried their best to make you look like a human being that breathes air and sleeps at night, it's the least you can do for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back