Need advise on IEMs.
Nov 14, 2009 at 10:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

dr.weird

New Head-Fier
Hi, this was the only forum i could find who might be able to help me with my problem.

I plan on building a gaming pc and need IEMs for my pc, i need to be able to voice chat in a game so i am gonna need a pair of IEMs with a microphone that works with a pc, i also want amazing sound with them so i would also need them to have surround sound.

Basically, does anybody know of IEMs that have a microphone and surround sound? I couldn't find any on google, i found IEMs with surround sound and i found IEMs with microphones but not IEMs that have both.

And please don't post me suggestions of those other earbuds that don't go inside your ear, i need IEMs (aka: inner-ear headphones or canal phones).
I fear that the product i am searching for does not exist, if you could perhaps provide news for such a product which might be in development then please advise me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 14, 2009 at 11:02 AM Post #3 of 39
I do not want to pick on you, but how exactly did you think an IEM would have surround sound? You have made me curious.

And a price range would help with the suggestions.

=Nkk

Nov 14, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #5 of 39
mhh. I don't think you are going to get far with $20 and surround sound. If you want to play a game and achieve a great atmosphere, you should look into the IE8. They don't have a microphone, but every pc that comes out now has a built-in one. The price difference might put you off...

Nov 14, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #6 of 39
THAT PRICE WAS MAD!!! I would rather keep the price under $100 please , Anything with surround sound and a microphone, ANYTHING, ANY SUGGESTIONS WHATSOEVER please.

But thanks for the advise.

PS.
How can a pc come WITH a microphone? would you have to keep your head close to the pc case to talk into it? Where would they put it in the pc so that it reaches your mouth? I guess it could work on a laptop, but i am not buying a laptop. I am building a gaming PC.

The sound doesn't have to be AMAZING with these earphones, just nice and the earphones should be comfortable.

Nov 14, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #7 of 39
ha. I thought it would be a bit too much.
As for the microphone, my sony vaio sz7 comes with a built in microphone that has very high quality. I misread your post , I was thinking of a gamer laptop when I read it.

Nov 14, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #8 of 39
You can't achieve surround sound with IEMs at that price range.

And an integrated microphone is never a good idea - just buy a separate mic.

EDIT: So in response to your first post, what you're asking for is impossible.

Nov 14, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #10 of 39
An improved sound card is an improved source.
The source outputs the analog signal which your headphones convert into sound, thus a better output means better sound.
[sorry if that didn't make sense, but I had to oversimplify a bit.]

Nov 14, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #11 of 39
Oh it made sense enough for me to understand it. Thanks.
Sooooo, i guess my question now would be: Any suggestions for IEMs that have a microphone and is under $100? No surround sound is required, but i would like to hear about some IEMs that come with good sound quality at least.

Quote:

You can't achieve surround sound with IEMs at that price range.

And an integrated microphone is never a good idea - just buy a separate mic.

EDIT: So in response to your first post, what you're asking for is impossible.

Well those things i showed did say surround sound, new technology?
Ok fine, lets start talking about IEMs, and what about separate mics? What are they like? Do they come available in small sizes? Maybe i can tape one onto the wire of my IEM, lol. Seriously though, how small can they get? what do you propose?

Nov 14, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #12 of 39
My proposition is to not go with IEMs for gaming - I've tried it several times and it's just not worth it.
You should head on (just noticed the bad pun, please excuse) over to the full-size headphones section and look for discussion on headphones for gaming. As for mics, I rarely (if ever) use voice chat, so I can't say anything about that, sorry.

Nov 14, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #13 of 39
you would probarly want to get a seperate mic for both quaility, and to make sure things are comptabile

for IEMS maybe:

S4
im-590
ne-7
used UM1

I also think that all but the um1 have a iphone version, which has a built in mic

maybe something like this:

Newegg.com - Logitech 980186-0403 Silver USB Connector USB Desktop Microphone

I believe you can also buy computer monitors with a built in open-air mic, I know you can buy cams with built mics though.

Nov 14, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #14 of 39
I game on a 5.1 speaker system, Arcam & Yamaha amp, B&W & Kef speakers. Brilliant and better than any headphone system I've heard. I wouldn't waste my time with headphone gaming, unless you live in a apartment or have family in the rest of the house.

Nov 14, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #15 of 39
I'm starting to think a separate mic will make me look stupid.
Its just easier to already have a mic built into your headphones

and i have made my decision, i want to use IEMs for my pc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back