Need advise for new portable headphones
Jan 5, 2003 at 9:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

conklin2

New Head-Fier
The question has been asked a few times, but always seems to meander away from what I'm looking for (at least in the threads I found).

I currently use an old pait of Sony MDR-E565 earbuds. Top of the line when I got them, but that was a while back. It's time to replace and upgrade.

I will be using whatever I get on a Nomad Jukebox Zen (think iPod, if you aren't familiar) and possibly on a PCDP at work.

I'll be listening on the bus, subway, walking, and at my desk at work. Possibly in the gym, if I ever get back.

An amp is not an option (have enough gadgets and doodads in my backpack as it is).

I am willing to spend $150, max.

So far I have considered the Entymotics ER-6 and the Sony E888. I just noticed the Shure E2c, so they're in for consideration, as well as anything else you folks might recommend.

Whatever I get needs to be easily packable and fairly durable. I'm careful with my toys, but when you carry them around all week anything takes a beating. I'm going strictly earbud or canal.

Thanks much.

Jan 6, 2003 at 4:36 AM Post #3 of 11
Are you wanting buds, plugs or cans? I can't vouch yet(slow ass mail service) but the Sony D66 are supposedly a great choice.
-Mag

Jan 6, 2003 at 4:44 AM Post #4 of 11
Hi conklin, welcome to Head-Fi. I would recommend the E888s, because, to my ears, they have the best sound in a bud (I'm hung up on midrange, OK?) Others find the Senn MX500 to be better. The Senns can be found for under $20. However, since you say you need something durable, I would stay away from the E888s.....they seem to be rather fragile.
In a canal phone, I've only heard the Etys, and I find them (ER6 only) to be difficult to achieve a good seal with. Sonically, they are very analytical in sound characterisic as opposed to the warmer sounding buds.
Hope I've been of some help.
smily_headphones1.gif

PS......If you would consider other designs, I would recommend the Sony Eggo D66. It's a small, mostly closed 'phone that folds up for good portability. There's very little sound leakage.

Jan 6, 2003 at 5:07 AM Post #5 of 11
I haven't heard the Eggo's so far, but I've been using the Sennheiser PX-100 for a while and I've got two words for you to describe them: Great value. Definately recommended.

Jan 6, 2003 at 5:29 AM Post #6 of 11
conklin2
HI: Welcome to head-fi. This is just my opinion. You can only get so much sound out of an ear bud. Most portable headphones or ear phones sound just like small portable headphones and you only get so much sound out of them also. Now the Sony Eggo D66 is 40 mm and very portable for they fold up to the size of your hand. Yet they sound almost like full size headphones. I feel they are the very best portable headphone that you can buy at 89.00. There is quite a long tread here on the Eggo D66 that you might like to read. Good luck.

Jan 6, 2003 at 7:15 AM Post #7 of 11
So far, sounds like the E888s are the way to go (only considering earbuds and canal).

The ER-6 sound too iffy for the investment. I might love their sound and fit or hate their sound and fit.

The E2c, well, no one knows much about them yet I guess.

I still have a pair of Sony MDR-V900s I bought a few years ago, so I'm set for cans (at least until I start reading more here, heh).

Jan 15, 2003 at 10:50 AM Post #9 of 11
Sorry for off topic, but does anyone know if the MDR-7509 is that different to the V900?

On topic, my recommendations would be for the Sennheiser earphones if you really do bash them about that much... I think they come with a case if you're careful about packing them up, but even if you aren't they're cheap to replace.
Alternatively you could go for the top-flight earphones like the Etys, in which case you would remind yourself of their worth every time you're about to expose them to any kind of danger
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2003 at 2:46 PM Post #10 of 11
I've not heard the px100, which is supposedly better, but I have the px200, which is the closed version. They have a bit of isolation, and don't much sound. They also sound great.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: Ugh, my typing! That should be they don't _leak_ much sound.

Jan 15, 2003 at 3:45 PM Post #11 of 11
Don't know about you, but even when I allocate a given budget for something, I'm always happy if I get the same thing or better for cheaper. I've never myself heard the E888s, but I was in the same market you were a few weeks ago and I decided to try out the MX500. And do a search on this board: you'll find that despite the price differential, people are quite split on whether the E888 are superior to the cheaper MX500.

Worst case scenario: you don't like them and you're out $20. Best case scenario, they suit your needs perfectly and you've got $130 you can put elsewhere...like a nice set of home cans...or you're already halfway there to Etymotic ER-4s, if you'd ever fancy spending that much on cans.

I have been extremely impressed with the MX500, for an earbud, that is. Some here have thought of the MX500 as the best overall value out there, and I would tend to agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back