Need Advice. (Upgrade over AD700)
Dec 30, 2011 at 9:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Zowzout123

New Head-Fier
This is my first post here, but I wanted to register because everyone here seems so helpful!

Let me start by saying this:  I have ordered my AD700's already but have no yet used them as I am still waiting on them to be shipped to me, however after reading around on the headphones even more after my purchase, im getting worried about the bass.
My price range would be anywhere from $100-300 (although the less the better, even though im a firm believer in you get what you pay for.  Put it this way, im WILLING to pay for quality, but I know you dont necessairly need to spend $300 to get it)

I see people saying not to worry about it and get an EQ, but then I hear people say its just not adequate.

The headphones sound great from what I read and im hopeful I will like them, but I guess my question is what headset(s) should I look into if I just feel like the AD700's arent for me (After proper break in).

My use for the headphones will be music and gaming.
I hear alot of people say they are great for gaming, but I ONLY hear people talk about how good they are for FPS games and such, ive not once seen anyone talk about them for purposes OTHER than being phenominal for hearing footsteps and so on.
This is NOT important to me, I dont play FPS games competitively, I want the games to sound good but I dont need them for this.

I play alot of games, mainly WOW or other fantasy games, RTS and yes some FPS games, I just dont need to rely on hearing footsteps etc.

As far as music, I like rock, rap, SOME dubstep.  I say this because while I dont consider myself a basshead at all, I do enjoy good bass.

Sorry to be so long winded but I wanted to give people an idea of what im wanting the headset for.

Would i be sorely disappointed by the lack of bass or will it still be good?  Im coming from a Logitech G35 headset now FYI.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Dec 30, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #2 of 13
Still looking for any input but im looking over the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 as a step up bass wise that also appears to be pretty well received.

Any advice is appreciated, or input on AD700 vs the M50's.

Thanks!

Dec 30, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #5 of 13
I am loving my  denon d2000s ,great soundstage (wont be as big as the ad700) but the thing i am  liking best compared to my hfi780s is the endless lower bass (also great impact ,was always told they had no impact) and the general clarity of the sound ,also vocals are lush and clean
for an open can ive been thinking about the fisher fa-011 although never tried them

Dec 30, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #6 of 13
Thanks for the suggestions so far and replies.  I need as much help as I can get.  Ill admit this is all new to me but I do want a quality pair of headphones.

I WANT to like the AD700's because ive just heard soo many positive things about them, I know they will sound great for some things, but im just worried that since i listen to a wide variety of music that it just wont fit the bill overall.

Keep the replies comin! :)

Dec 30, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #7 of 13
I'm afraid the AD700s will fail miserably at Dubstep and Rap.  They're mainly good for classical music, and not much else.

Dec 30, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #8 of 13
Even with the bass heavily equalized, I found the AD700's bass to be too tight to make deep bass electronic music work. 

Dec 30, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #9 of 13
Zowzout123.
First off, what are you going to be plugging these headphones into?
on-board sound?
add on sound card?

Does it matter to you if the headphones are open or closed?

The ATH-AD700s lack of bass, can make action movies and bass heavy music seem lacking.
AD900s and A900 would be better.
Sennheiser HD-558, like the AD700, but with more bass.

Panasonic RP-HTF600-S, with Beyerdynamic EDT 200 Velour ear pads, make a good low cost headphone.

Dec 30, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #10 of 13
(To answer your question, it will be an on board sound card, so nothing special.  I am wondering if I will see a substantial difference coming from an onboard card vs a dedicated sound card)
As far as opened or closed, I guess if I were to say one or the other, I would prefer closed, but at the same time after listening to the AD700's I dont want to necessairly sacrifice all the good things people like about them.  While im not sure exactly what words like soundscape fully represent, I think I have a slight idea)  I just dont want to lose the good aspects of the AD700 if i switch headsets.
I read the AD900's are a upgrade bass wise, but im just wondering if it will just be a minor upgrade on the bass, if i go up from the 700's I feel like I want to make a pretty nice jump.

Ok, this works out perfect because I just got the headset today and I can give a little bit of information on how I feel about them and maybe you all can steer me in the right direction.

Coming from the G35 headset (I know how people feel about Logitech around here and apparently its not great).

Bass:
I must say, coming from the G35, as far as the bass is concerned on the AD700, it is light to me, underwhelmingly light.
I dont think I necessairly want it to be CRAZY more bass, but a jump in bass wouldnt hurt my feelings.

Comfort:
This is what I want in a headset, I love the feel, theres no pressure on my head at all and it feels fantastic.  I havent worn them for any length of time so I cant really say how they feel after extended use.

Music:
I felt like, when compared to the G35 that they just lacked something, primairly the bass im sure.
Things like Adele and the like sound nice and I can hear the range of the headset but I dunno, I just feel like I wanted it to be louder...
They seem to get close to the G35 as far as volume but the G35 still seems to have the edge, although the winner in clarity is definately the AD700's.
Overall I like the AD700s here overall, I just want more bass and more volume :p  Not that I intend to listen to it super loud all the time, but if I feel like cranking up the volume, I want to feel like theres room to go.

Gaming:
This is where I noticed a pretty big difference.  I felt like I heard everything!  It was great.  As I stated earlier, im not a FPS head but the game (WoW) sounds great, going to try Skyrim soon but I feel it will still sound very good.

I feel like im in kind of a rock and a hard place, I know I have yet to break them in, and maybe they will get better, but how much better?
I feel like, Music I was underwhelmed, games I feel like they are really solid, even though they do lack a punch on things that might require a more bass heavy feel.
Whats the proper way to break them in?
80% volume?
Do I want to keep them away from max volume while breaking them in?
Im new to most of this so im not sure.

Ive jumped around alot, and im sorry for that but I just want to give as much info as I can for any help.

I guess a big reason I might be feeling underwhelmed is because I never really looked at the G35s as a terrible headset, I just wanted something more comfortable. (Quite a bit more comfortable if possible)
I think I was just expecting there to be a much larger gap in performance, and while it sounds like there is in mids and highs, I just wanted more bass from it all as well as a louder experience.

Any help is appreciated as always :)

(Edit: Also like I said, im willing to go as high as about $300 tops, so im not really just only wanting to stay at $100, although the less the better because its always nice to save money)
Ive been hearing about the M50s and Sennheiser 360s as possible headsets to jump up to.  Thoughts?

Dec 30, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
(To answer your question, it will be an on board sound card, so nothing special.  I am wondering if I will see a substantial difference coming from an onboard card vs a dedicated sound card)
As far as opened or closed, I guess if I were to say one or the other, I would prefer closed, but at the same time after listening to the AD700's I dont want to necessairly sacrifice all the good things people like about them.  While im not sure exactly what words like soundscape fully represent, I think I have a slight idea)  I just dont want to lose the good aspects of the AD700 if i switch headsets.
I read the AD900's are a upgrade bass wise, but im just wondering if it will just be a minor upgrade on the bass, if i go up from the 700's I feel like I want to make a pretty nice jump.
Ok, this works out perfect because I just got the headset today and I can give a little bit of information on how I feel about them and maybe you all can steer me in the right direction.
Coming from the G35 headset (I know how people feel about Logitech around here and apparently its not great).
Bass:
I must say, coming from the G35, as far as the bass is concerned on the AD700, it is light to me, underwhelmingly light.
I dont think I necessairly want it to be CRAZY more bass, but a jump in bass wouldnt hurt my feelings.
Comfort:
This is what I want in a headset, I love the feel, theres no pressure on my head at all and it feels fantastic.  I havent worn them for any length of time so I cant really say how they feel after extended use.
Music:
I felt like, when compared to the G35 that they just lacked something, primairly the bass im sure.
Things like Adele and the like sound nice and I can hear the range of the headset but I dunno, I just feel like I wanted it to be louder...
They seem to get close to the G35 as far as volume but the G35 still seems to have the edge, although the winner in clarity is definately the AD700's.
Overall I like the AD700s here overall, I just want more bass and more volume :p  Not that I intend to listen to it super loud all the time, but if I feel like cranking up the volume, I want to feel like theres room to go.
Gaming:
This is where I noticed a pretty big difference.  I felt like I heard everything!  It was great.  As I stated earlier, im not a FPS head but the game (WoW) sounds great, going to try Skyrim soon but I feel it will still sound very good.
I feel like im in kind of a rock and a hard place, I know I have yet to break them in, and maybe they will get better, but how much better?
I feel like, Music I was underwhelmed, games I feel like they are really solid, even though they do lack a punch on things that might require a more bass heavy feel.
Whats the proper way to break them in?
80% volume?
Do I want to keep them away from max volume while breaking them in?
Im new to most of this so im not sure.
Ive jumped around alot, and im sorry for that but I just want to give as much info as I can for any help.
I guess a big reason I might be feeling underwhelmed is because I never really looked at the G35s as a terrible headset, I just wanted something more comfortable. (Quite a bit more comfortable if possible)
I think I was just expecting there to be a much larger gap in performance, and while it sounds like there is in mids and highs, I just wanted more bass from it all as well as a louder experience.
Any help is appreciated as always :)
(Edit: Also like I said, im willing to go as high as about $300 tops, so im not really just only wanting to stay at $100, although the less the better because its always nice to save money)
Ive been hearing about the M50s and Sennheiser 360s as possible headsets to jump up to.  Thoughts?

You can get the Sennheiser HD-558s for around $70 less then the PC360s, and a separate mic for $12-$20.
I believe the ATH-M50s are more for music, but not great soundstage (?).
ATH-A900 (closed) would have more bass then the AD700, but still not a big thumping bass, more like clearer bass.

Dec 30, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #12 of 13
Hmm, im going to try the AD700 over the weekend and see if it grows on me.  Im contemplating the 558s, also the 360s are similar price on amazon, but maybe I can find them cheaper elsewhere.
Are the AD700's something that are fine powered through onboard sound?
What about if I jumped to the 558's or the 360's?
Thanks for your help!

(Edit, I was wrong, theres about a $50 gap in between the 558 and 360.

Dec 30, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
Hmm, im going to try the AD700 over the weekend and see if it grows on me.  Im contemplating the 558s, also the 360s are similar price on amazon, but maybe I can find them cheaper elsewhere.
Are the AD700's something that are fine powered through onboard sound?
What about if I jumped to the 558's or the 360's?
Thanks for your help!
(Edit, I was wrong, theres about a $50 gap in between the 558 and 360.

Best price I could find on the PC360 is $219
Best price for the HD-558 is $149

Users who are viewing this thread

Back