Need Advice to Purchase Power Cord
Feb 9, 2008 at 4:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

bismack

100+ Head-Fier
I recently got a corda prehead-1 amp with no power cord. I plan to spend <$50 to purchase suitable power cord for my new amp.
Please give me some advice.
Thanks!

Feb 9, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #3 of 16
Try a generic power cord first. If you find yourself immersed in the music you don't need to buy anything else.

Congrats on getting a great amp - Dr. Meier's work is impressive. Give crossfeed a shot, too.

Feb 9, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #4 of 16
Thanks for you guys' advice. I am using a cheap PC power cord right now, and few the sound (with K701) is sometimes cold and thin, especially for violin music. I don't doubt the quality of prehead, so I address the problem to poor PC power cord.

Feb 9, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by bismack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for you guys' advice. I am using a cheap PC power cord right now, and few the sound (with K701) is sometimes cold and thin, especially for violin music. I don't doubt the quality of prehead, so I address the problem to poor PC power cord.

Try the Iron Lung Jelly Fish $29 I use one on my Corda Headfive and it works great as opposed to using a stock PC cord.

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:25 PM Post #7 of 16
Where to buy Volex powercords?

Feb 17, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #14 of 16
Forget the Volex...it is a basic cord. I really noticed a difference when I bought a power cable from Cobalt for my Opera. Highly recommended. The red power light glows 50% brighter!

Feb 17, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by bismack /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Are you sure the power cord is responsible for that? And what are you using as a source?

If you're feeding the amp with an iPod, other DAP, or a soundcard, that could be responsible. Dr. Meier's amps generally don't have a lot of gain, so low output sources don't always get the best from them. A standalone CDP or a phono stage will drive them much better.

If you're still looking for a fuller sound after that, you're much more likely to find it with a tube amp and a pair of Sennheisers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back