Need advice/recommendations on new headphones
Aug 3, 2008 at 9:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

BimmItUp

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I just joined the forums and need some help matching myself up with the right pair of headphones.

Currently, I am borrowing a friends Sennheiser HD280 PROs and so far they have failed to meet my expectations that I want in some nice headphones. They do get out the highs but the bass delivery is horrible, IMO. They have a nice freq response, but they fail to have any [powerful] bass impact. They also seem like they require a lot of power to drive, where an iPod or laptop doesn't suffice.

I plan on using them with iPod or similar device and a laptop/desktop computer. Not much more than that, no dj/mixing/monitoring.

I listen to a variety of music including rock, rap/hip-hop, techno/trance, and alternative.

With that said, I am looking for some headphones that can delivery some nice deep bass with good impact. And at the same time, get the highs and everything in between, to some extent. I am looking to spend anywhere up to around $200.

I have been reading/looking at the M-Audio Q40s. If anyone could share some of they're opinions or advice on it these would suit my needs, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks in advance.

Aug 3, 2008 at 12:32 PM Post #2 of 14
What are you looking for?

Are you looking to replicate the effect of a quality speaker system that can amaze you with the depth of an exceptional subwoofer system? << I know that's what I'm trying to achieve..but sadly it's not my ears that allow me to experience that so much as my body... And I rarely hear such a speaker system since I don't own one (getting there).

Aug 4, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #3 of 14
What am I looking for? Did you see the first post?

Of course I am looking to replicate the effect of a quality speaker system that can amaze me with the depth of an exceptional subwoofer system.
Why else would I be here....?

Thanks for the advice though.

Aug 4, 2008 at 7:42 AM Post #5 of 14
I think you should consider Grados, perhaps the SR-80, SR-125, or SR-225. They have great, punchy bass and good frequency response. Great bang-for-the-buck too. My other choice would be Sennheiser HD595s, a SIGNIFICANTLY better headphone then the one you listened to. They are pretty phenomenal for the price, in my opinion.

Aug 5, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #6 of 14
Thanks to both of you for your helpful advice.

I've been reading about the Denon AH-D1001s and from reviews and other users, they sound very close to what I am looking for.

Coolchu001, would you mind explaining what that mod is all about? Do you know if they will sound good straight out of the box without any mods? I just need to find a local dealer where I can listen to these recommendations.
I am also looking for a headphone that is fairly easy to drive as the majority of use will be off a laptop and mp3 player jack, if that narrows it down at all.

Thanks.

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #9 of 14
removed.

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #11 of 14
Ah, sorry scytheavatar, I didn't read close enough to your post, my mistake! Thanks jernmo.

Aug 10, 2008 at 6:22 AM Post #13 of 14
Thanks for all of the helpful advice.

I took a look at that Q40 review, nice review. Those were what I had my eyes on first, but I have still yet to get my hands on them to try them. Sounds like the Denon 1000/1001s are also a possible choice. I still need to find a place that carries both of these so I can listen to them. I am having trouble finding a place to do so.

Should I be scared to just order them and have it be a surprise? Hmm.

Aug 19, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #14 of 14
UPDATE:

I finally gave up looking for the Denons locally so I decided to bite the bullet and order them for a surprise. I trust everyone's input so I had a good feeling about it. I'm glad I made the decision because these headphones are awesome. They are really comfortable, somewhat compact [more than I had in mind], and sound great out of the box. I am still breaking them in; got about 10 hours on them. The more I listen to them, the more I like them, and the better I feel they sound.

Looks like I found my match. Thanks for the recommendations!

Happy listening!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back