Need advice on which Portable Amp to get - HTC One, Shure SE215 (I'm a newb)
Aug 12, 2013 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ya93sin

New Head-Fier
Hello guys,

I've been reading through the reviews/shootout thread for portable amps already, as I've been considering buying a portable headphone amplifier (and DAC?) to get a bit more bass out of my headphones.

Currently my set up on the go is this:

HTC One
Shure SE215

I'm commuting into London each day so I really need a portable amp that can fit next to the phone in my suit pocket, or blazer jacket, without pressing into my torso/legs. I've got a leather case for the phone anyway so I don't need to worry about scratches.
I was also thinking I could use this portable amp when listening to music on the PC.

For the PC my set up is this:

Creative Labs USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Audio System SB1090
Corsair SP2500

I doubt the amp would improve on the Sound Blaster but when using headphones whilst gaming, will there be a difference? I will also be buying some proper headphones (over-ear) next year so I'm regarding any possible purchase of an amp with that kind of level headphone set up in mind.

Anyway to make it easier for you guys, I'll just post the questions in a clearer way below:

1. What is the difference between an amp such as the Fiio E12 and an Amp/DAC such as the Fiio E17?

2. Do I actually need an amp?
-I want a bit more bass, I also want to keep the lyrics clear but not so sharp it hurts my ears. I listen to mostly 1980s and 1990s hip-hop, usually FLAC or MP3 320Kbps.

3. If I would benefit from an amp, which would you recommend for me? My budget is £125.
-I need to purchase a USB on the go cable as well if using digital out for audio.

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #2 of 4
bump
smile.gif

Aug 12, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
bump. Is my post too confusing for people?

No, I don't think so. I don't own Shure SE215's so I can't really advise... but hang in there and someone with the same kit and needs should come along soon.

One thing I will say though is that in my experience it's usually difficult to get a good clean analogue audio signal from a computer due to EMI interference from the various components so I'd recommend an Amp which also has a DAC if pc audio is high on the list. The E17 is probably a solid entry level choice for you.. IF.. Se215's do actually need more power to work well with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back