Need advice on upgrade
May 12, 2013 at 3:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

vibez

Head-Fier
Hi everyone

Am looking to upgrade existing portable audio setup, which comprises of Sansa clip+, ie80 with flac files.

Need the most realistic transparent sound without adding an amp. I was thinking HM 901 with JH16s... your thoughts? Please suggest both custom molds and standard fit iems.

My audio preference is vast, ranging from classical to pop and rock. Looking forward to your recommendations.:)

Sent from the dark side by the Borg

May 12, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #2 of 22
I presume tight budget is out of the table...
The set up you have in mind seems more than ideal (and probably a dream for most of us) .... If you're willing to spend 2000$ on a portable set up here other options

iBasso DX100
Colorfly C3
Iriver AK100 (there's a newer version about to come: The Astell & Kern AK120)

May 13, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #3 of 22
Thanks for the suggestions. I am aware of the players but unable to find comparisons, so which one to get? Also, any other recommendations on the iems?

May 13, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #4 of 22
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I am aware of the players but unable to find comparisons, so which one to get? Also, any other recommendations on the iems?

You have to check/read threads about those. None of them is better than the other, they just sound a little bit different. Keep in mind, all of them are built with higher standards and won't disappoint you. 

May 13, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #5 of 22
Just to provide context, how big a difference would you reckon between ie80 and monster turbine? I have both and would like to confirm if I even have decent enough hearing to appreciate such an expensive setup..

May 13, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #6 of 22
the turbine have been said to be of the same level as the SE215 , the IE80 is alot better assuming it have a proper source and files (lossless , source with enough power) there is also the bass tweaking ports on it , I have heard the SE215 and the Ie80 , and if price is no object I would sure choose the ie80

May 14, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #7 of 22
Thanks for the response. Having listened to both using clip+ as the source with flac files, the difference seems minimal but noticeable, Is this expected?

May 14, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #8 of 22
Hv u tried the w4r..535 balanced armature stuff yet?
Vs your ie80 dynamic driver...which kind of sound do u like.?

May 14, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:
Thanks for the response. Having listened to both using clip+ as the source with flac files, the difference seems minimal but noticeable, Is this expected?

I suppose if there is a problem with the clip+ it is often says not to have enough power to drive stuff, not sure if thats applicable wiith the ie80

what qualities are you looking for on iems, for example if you like bassy stuff , something like the final adagio wouldn't sastify you no matter which one you would have bought

May 14, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #10 of 22
Well, I like my sound to be as transparent as possible without being boring. Reading on the forums I am leaning towards the jh16 pros. Haven't tried balanced armature stuff, but one way I can upgrade in installments is to get a better source and use with ie80 before getting the ciems. Hence considering the hm901. Therefore need your advice whether this is the right way to go and whether the hm901 would serve my aims better than other sources..?

May 14, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #11 of 22
One more thing that's bothering me, my ie80s do not sound bass heavy at all, in fact a little thin. I am not a bass head and listening to various genres, with factory bass setting on the earphones. They have been played for about 75 hours total of that matters.. Have they changed the sound from bass heavy in ie8 to neutral in ie80?

May 14, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #12 of 22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVh0PEoap30

watch this vid. 
popcorn.gif

May 15, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:
Well, I like my sound to be as transparent as possible without being boring. Reading on the forums I am leaning towards the jh16 pros. Haven't tried balanced armature stuff, but one way I can upgrade in installments is to get a better source and use with ie80 before getting the ciems. Hence considering the hm901. Therefore need your advice whether this is the right way to go and whether the hm901 would serve my aims better than other sources..?

the HM901 from the clip + is a HUGE HUGE JUMP, you would feel the difference but , it maybe a bit less prudent to invest in that without looking at some daps , you should also upgrade your source is installments , may I suggest getting something like the C3 and putting an amp into it first? or one of the hifiman lower end player? since if you actually can't hear the difference on the 901 (some people can't, they own a famous blog that says 801 sounds the same as an EQed clip+) its pretty much a waste of money no?

May 16, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #14 of 22
Thanks for the advice.. I am looking for the best sound without a dap. Need the setup to be one device only. Hence the thought for getting the best possible source. In terms of the expensive sources, is the hm901 regarded as the most transparent one without an amp or do I need to consider another option? Same question for the jh16pros..

May 16, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #15 of 22
Can I ask a dumb question - why the need for your setup to have NO amp.  There are some of the best sounding portable amps out on the market that are way smaller than the DAP you are considering.  Also, you can find many people here on head-fi that make custom cables and LODs to keep the compactness.  I use a nano (4th gen), silve LOD, RSA Shadow amp and JH13s and I can put it in my pocket and take it everywhere without fear of breaking it.  If that's your concern, I would read more posts and look thru the "Pics of Your Portable Rig" thread for awhile to see how truly small a DAP + Amp setup can be.  INMHO, buying the JH 16s and not using them with an amp is kinda like buying a Porsche and putting bicycle wheels on it to drive.  Like I said, just MY opinion.  The 16s do sooooo much that almost no DAP will ever be able to fully utilize all the 16s talents by itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back