Need advice on sound card and dac ATH AD900x
Jul 19, 2013 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Tranman13195

New Head-Fier
My current set up is onboard sound and a turtle beach dss. I got about $150 to spend on a sound card and a dac. I use my headphones for mostly music (i listen to a wide variety of music, but i do like to feel a bit of bass). I'm open to any help or advice. Thank You in advance.

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #2 of 13
Asus Xonar DG sound card, $30 and there is a $10 mail in rebate this month.
CS4245 DAC chip and a very basic headphone amplifier.

Sound Blaster Z sound card ($80), better DAC (CS4398) and headphone amplifier, then the DG.

Audioengine D1 (used, $150), external DAC with USB/optical input and headphone amplifier.
I believe the D1's DAC chip, AK4396, might be (guessing?) considered a little better then the CS4398.

Jul 19, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:
I borrowed the Sound Blaster Z from my friend and the difference in sound quality is immense. I was wondering if the Xonar Essence was worth buying instead of the Z series

As the Z's amplifier is more then enough to drive the 40-Ohm ATH-AD900X, the Xonar Essence amplifier would not make a difference (amp wise).

I doubt you could really tell that much of a difference (if any) between the Z's CS4398 DAC chip and the Xonar Essence's PCM1792A DAC chip.

Technically, the Schiit Magni ($99) headphone amplifier's, which has really low impedance (< 1-Ohm) output would be better for driving the 40-Ohm headphones, then the Essence & Z's 10-Ohm head amps (output).

So getting a Schiit Magni ($99) and something like the Xonar DX or D1 (CS4398 DAC chip) would be a better combo for the AD900X.
You can find a used Xonar DX or D1 for $50-$60.

Plus you can use the Schiit Magni with a lot more audio equipment (TVs, mp3 players, smart phones, etc)

Jul 19, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #5 of 13
Personally I would go with a Schiit magni or JDS lab ODAC.  External DACs will usually sound better than sound cards.  (I say usually because there are exceptions but for the most part this is true) .  Also both of these are plug and play through usb so just plug it in and enjoy your music.  If you don't have an amp yet though I would spend your money buying an amp/dac combo.  Like a small Fiio one.  

Jul 20, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #8 of 13
I just noticed I could bump my budget up to about $230 since I just sold my steel series. Would the magni/Modi stack be worth it with my current headphones? Or should I just stick with the dx and magni?

Jul 20, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
I just noticed I could bump my budget up to about $230 since I just sold my steel series. Would the Magni/Modi stack be worth it with my current headphones? Or should I just stick with the DX and Magni?

I guess it's safe to assume the Modi would be considered a better DAC, then the CS4398 DAC chip on the DX.
But the Modi USB DAC provides zero headphone surround sound features, if your fine with 2-channel stereo audio (which is just fine for music audio), then spending extra for the Modi might be worth it to you.

Jul 20, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #10 of 13
For music the M/M combo is excellent.  consider the O2/ODAC combo by JDS labs as well.  But if you aren't going for surround sound I would definately recommend going for an external dac over a sound card.

Jul 20, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
My current set up is onboard sound and a turtle beach dss. I got about $150 to spend on a sound card and a dac. I use my headphones for mostly music (i listen to a wide variety of music, but i do like to feel a bit of bass). I'm open to any help or advice. Thank You in advance.

The Hifimediy Sabre DAC has ES9023 inside, and will power AD900X directly very well. It sounds 97% as  good as ODAC, but doesn't need an amplifier.
Just 49$ shipped:
http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=83

Jul 20, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
I'm in need of a mic now that I think about so the Z series is looking appealing with that desktop mic but I was wondering how the headphone amp compares to the Magni

I would think the Magni is a better headphone amplifier, over the Z & Zx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back