Need advice on Grado 325's
Oct 14, 2002 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

fparodi

New Head-Fier
From what I've read in different forums and threads, I've decided to go with the Grado SR 325's over the SR 225's and Sennheiser 600's. I will be using the Comfy Earpads, cut and flipped (thanks Dark Angel for the suggestion).

I will be using them on an number of different platforms. Mainly on my stereo listening to classic rock - Zeppelin/Floyd/The Dead.

They will also be used on my PC for gaming and MP3's. How do these rate as a gaming/mp3 can? Of course I will be plugging them directly into my SoundBlaster Audigy Gamer.

Any recommendations on an amplifier? Don't want to spend too much money (around $200). I saw some posts on the Total Airhead and Creek OBH-11's but am unsure what to get. Which amps work best with the 325's?

As a newbie to the audiophile arena, your comments will be appreciated.

Thanks,

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Oct 14, 2002 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 4
i use a meta42 with my sr325's quite often and it works wonderfully. my meta42 is in a heavy-duty aluminum case with cardas rca plugs though, so it isn't that portable. mine runs on batteries but i'd recommend getting a wallwart edition. pm jmt for building one (or seek-out tangent's website).

i use mine plugged up to my computer and it works wonderfully. this amp really drives my sr-325 well and i love playing games/mp3s with it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 14, 2002 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 4
The Grado SR325's are pretty efficient, easily driven phones, and will sound great out of most any receiver or audio equipment headphone jacks. However, for portable use, you'll need a handheld amp, as portable outputs are pretty weak. Do you plan on using your headphones mostly with your computer and at home, or is portability a necessity as well? If you're looking for the cheapest solutions, the Creek you mentioned should do the job (around $120). If you don't mind ordering non-commercial amps, look into a Meta42, Cha47, or a Cmoy (in descending price, $70-120) from various DIY amp builders who are members of this board. The Creek isn't battery operational, but the DIY amps mentioned could be, although I wouldn't recommend that you wear Grados outside anyway.

Oct 14, 2002 at 7:25 PM Post #4 of 4
I'm only going to use the 325's in my home and office. There usually isn't too much background noise in either location so that shouldn't be a problem (unless you count my girlfriend as background noise....I do.)

I have already PM'd JMT for a Meta42 amp. Hopefully I'll hear from him soon.

Another question, has anyone ever used Xitel's Hi-Fi Link? I only have my mouse plugged into my USB so stuttering shouldn't be a problem. The sound should be better than my soundcard. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back