Need advice on Grado 325's
post-195030
Post #1 of 4

fparodi

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
From what I've read in different forums and threads, I've decided to go with the Grado SR 325's over the SR 225's and Sennheiser 600's. I will be using the Comfy Earpads, cut and flipped (thanks Dark Angel for the suggestion).

I will be using them on an number of different platforms. Mainly on my stereo listening to classic rock - Zeppelin/Floyd/The Dead.

They will also be used on my PC for gaming and MP3's. How do these rate as a gaming/mp3 can? Of course I will be plugging them directly into my SoundBlaster Audigy Gamer.

Any recommendations on an amplifier? Don't want to spend too much money (around $200). I saw some posts on the Total Airhead and Creek OBH-11's but am unsure what to get. Which amps work best with the 325's?

As a newbie to the audiophile arena, your comments will be appreciated.

Thanks,

post-195053
Post #2 of 4

grinch

Cognac....icky.Scotch....icky.Vodka....
Reaction score
i use a meta42 with my sr325's quite often and it works wonderfully. my meta42 is in a heavy-duty aluminum case with cardas rca plugs though, so it isn't that portable. mine runs on batteries but i'd recommend getting a wallwart edition. pm jmt for building one (or seek-out tangent's website).

i use mine plugged up to my computer and it works wonderfully. this amp really drives my sr-325 well and i love playing games/mp3s with it.

post-195071
Post #3 of 4

sTaTIx

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
The Grado SR325's are pretty efficient, easily driven phones, and will sound great out of most any receiver or audio equipment headphone jacks. However, for portable use, you'll need a handheld amp, as portable outputs are pretty weak. Do you plan on using your headphones mostly with your computer and at home, or is portability a necessity as well? If you're looking for the cheapest solutions, the Creek you mentioned should do the job (around $120). If you don't mind ordering non-commercial amps, look into a Meta42, Cha47, or a Cmoy (in descending price, $70-120) from various DIY amp builders who are members of this board. The Creek isn't battery operational, but the DIY amps mentioned could be, although I wouldn't recommend that you wear Grados outside anyway.

post-195135
Post #4 of 4

fparodi

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
I'm only going to use the 325's in my home and office. There usually isn't too much background noise in either location so that shouldn't be a problem (unless you count my girlfriend as background noise....I do.)

I have already PM'd JMT for a Meta42 amp. Hopefully I'll hear from him soon.

Another question, has anyone ever used Xitel's Hi-Fi Link? I only have my mouse plugged into my USB so stuttering shouldn't be a problem. The sound should be better than my soundcard. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)