Need advice on good IEM's; budget $200-$400
Apr 7, 2010 at 11:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

blak000

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

Thinking it's about time to acquire to some new IEM's. Currently, listening to Atrio M5's, which I upgraded to from Altec Lansing UHP-336's. Been looking at various headphones, but don't really know what to choose.

I enjoy listening to jazz, jazzy hip hop, and hip-hop instrumentals, so good bass is a must. This is exactly why I ditched the UHP-336's, because they didn't have enough bass for me.

My budget is between $200-$400. I was initially interested in the Sennheiser IE8's but was turned off when I found they don't have the greatest noise isolation. I live in Manhattan, so my phones have to play above NY city traffic and subway noise. Been listening to my Atrio's with foam buds, and they seem to do a pretty good job.

Recommendations? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Apr 7, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #2 of 12
monster turbine pro gold for powerfull bass good detail
monster turbine copper for good bass and balanced sound highly detailed ,both isolate very well
if you want ie8 get some triple flange monster tips for them
westone 3 good bass ,prone to sibalance though

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucozade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
monster turbine pro gold for powerfull bass good detail
monster turbine copper for good bass and balanced sound highly detailed ,both isolate very well
if you want ie8 get some triple flange monster tips for them
westone 3 good bass ,prone to sibalance though

^^ What he said^^^ But after using them for several hours the other day, I'd also add the Ortofon e-Q7 to the list of possibilities. I love my MTP Coppers, but the e-Q7's might be "on deck" for me soon. I can't see myself ever going the route of customs, so these higher-end universal IEMs have been a fun ride.

Apr 8, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by feverfive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^ What he said^^^ But after using them for several hours the other day, I'd also add the Ortofon e-Q7 to the list of possibilities. I love my MTP Coppers, but the e-Q7's might be "on deck" for me soon. I can't see myself ever going the route of customs, so these higher-end universal IEMs have been a fun ride.

Yes the ortofon may well fit the bill ,totaly differrent sound from the ie8 though,i didnt include them in my recomendation only becouse i was not sure how much they cost over in the states
happy_face1.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #8 of 12
The Ortofon e-Q7 is $350-360 in the US if you buy from ALO. It is much cheaper to buy it from Japan either from ebay or via some kind of forwarding service and going that way will probably go for around $300-320.

I haven't heard the M5 but they are pretty much a bassy iem from everything I have read about them. The golds would probably fit the bill. They isolate fairly well and a pretty good iem with the focus on bass. After listening to them for most of the day and then using the Ortofon e-Q7 it makes the e-Q7 feel like it has no bass lol.

Apr 8, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Ortofon e-Q7 is $350-360 in the US if you buy from ALO. It is much cheaper to buy it from Japan either from ebay or via some kind of forwarding service and going that way will probably go for around $300-320.

I haven't heard the M5 but they are pretty much a bassy iem from everything I have read about them. The golds would probably fit the bill. They isolate fairly well and a pretty good iem with the focus on bass.

Agreed. You also might like the hje900s bass. not as much as the monster but it is refined, and has good clarity. The monster does as well, but the hje is warm without being too warm. I love them.

Apr 10, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #10 of 12
E-Q7, UM3X or JVC HA-FX700 are all great to my ears. Sound all amazing but for instrumental music e-Q7 are best to my ears.
JVC are sold on ebay for 370USD.

BTW, e-q7 from ALO Audio USA is 329USD plus 10 USD shipping. = 340USD

Apr 29, 2010 at 4:56 AM Post #12 of 12
Get the Monster Turbine Pro Golds or if you can afford it the MD's. These are my favorite universal IEM by far, they have amazing bass and great highs/mids. I feel like they are a combination of the Gold's and the Copper's but better. Go with them and don't look back, I have not heard the EQ7 or JVC HA-FX700 but I have heard the 3 and UM3X. I prefer the Tributes to both of the Westone's and the EQ7 is very comprable to the EQ7, they didn't have enough bass for me. It was low and detailed but not near as impactful as a dynamic driven IEM such as the MD's. You can get them on OneCall for a good price, check them out. I am actually thinking of buying the HA-FX700 for my upcoming review of all top-tier universal IEM's (TBP Golds/Coppers/MDs, IE8, 3, UM3X) but am considering adding these and possibly the EQ7 into the mix. So far, I have yet to be dissapointed with any of my TBP's, grab up and you won't be dissapointed, I promise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back