Need advice on DAC for MacMini to Denon receiver
Mar 21, 2010 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

timm121

New Head-Fier
Hi there -

I am trying to use a Mac mini as a music server in my home system. The Mini works great for output to my main zone via DVI/digital optical out but I need an analog out to my second zone. My thought is to use a USB DAC to convert the Mini signal to analog and then connect from the DAC to my amp. I use the second zone strictly for parties/casual listening - I want decent sound but I'm not trying to replicate Carnegie Hall acoustics. The receiver I'm connecting to is a Denon AVR-3809 and the second zone is separately powered by a Rotel amp, so I should have plenty of power.

Can anyone recommend a decent USB DAC to use for this purpose that's reasonably priced? I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars for a DAC that to me is basically a workaround because the Mini doesn't have built-in DACs.

Thanks!

Mar 21, 2010 at 7:53 AM Post #2 of 7
Mar 25, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the list but does anyone have any concrete recommendations? That list is huge and I'm not sure how to evaluate one over another for the money. My goal here is really just to be able to output analog sound to my receiver/amp to use as background party music. I want good sound quality, but the people listening are not audiophiles and I don't need to spend tons of $$ on a DAC just to tell people I did so.

Thanks!

Mar 26, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #4 of 7
Your idea with the DAC would work, just use the headphone for the analog and optical for the digital. But my question is why bother? If you dont want to spend much the DAC in the 3809 is pretty good, and for a second zone I really dont think your going to notice that much of a different. What speakers are you running, is it ceiling/in-wall, outdoor/patio, or another room, with real speakers? Because unless your running real speakers in zone 2 theres no point, save your money.

Mar 26, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #5 of 7
timm121: I can't help wondering if you're confusing what is digital output. Your optical digital output (as opposed to using it as an analogue line-out) from the Mac Mini's headphone port IS digital.

Anyway, am I guessing right that you wont be using both zones at the same time? This is important as you can only use one digital output at a time.

Mar 27, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #6 of 7
The problem with not using a DAC is that the Denon won't convert a digital signal to analog and output it via the preamp outlets for zone 2 - it must be an analog source signal.

At times I do want to play the same music in both zones.

The speakers are Jamo in-ceiling/in-wall speakers in the second zone. They're good quality speakers but the second zone is definitely not a critical listening area - I just want some decent sound.

I'm now thinking about using an Airport Express to output to zone 2 instead of the separate DAC. Any thoughts on this?

Mar 27, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #7 of 7
An Airport express is a good plan. It has both optical digital and analogue out from the socket the same as the Mac Mini.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back