Need advice on custom IEM
Apr 4, 2012 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

AlfredWong

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

After listening to the bigger cans at home, I've got an urge to upgrade to custom IEM, my cheap universal IE just doesn't stand up to my demand in quality. I am used to listen to Beyer T1 at home (also Senn HD650 while I get to sleep), please kindly recommend a custom IEM with on par sound quality - many thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #2 of 18
I suggest you check out average_joe's thread where he has reviewed and commented on several great custom in-ear monitors.

Personally I'd like to recommend the Heir Audio 8.A

Apr 4, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #3 of 18
The JH13Pro, Westone ES5, UM Miracle are very highend custom IEMs and comparable to these fullsize headphones.

Apr 4, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #4 of 18
I think you're going to be fairly hard to please with the kind of headphones you've been listening to, however.

If you're in Hong Kong, I suggest you take a trip to Jaben HK and Mingo (both flagship stores are in Mong Kok) and take a listen to their demo lineup. I know Jaben has the JH13, JH16, FitEar Private 222, 323, 333, C435, ACS T1, Earsonics EM4, EM6, and probably more all available for demoing. Mingo, I believe, has the UE line available.

Listening for yourself, and then correlating with Joe's thread (along with other review threads) will give you the best perspective on how to choose the best custom for you.

I wish you happy listening, smooth reading, and good luck. If you're set on getting customs, your trip will be a long one. Choose wisely.

Apr 4, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #5 of 18
That is an interesting question:  What custom would most closely resemble the Beyer T1 sound?

Apr 4, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #6 of 18

Quote:
That is an interesting question:  What custom would most closely resemble the Beyer T1 sound?

I doubt there'll be a definitive answer. For that to happen you'd need several people all individually owning the T1 and a buckload of CIEMs - and they'd all have to more or less agree.

Apr 5, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #7 of 18

Quote:

I used to own the Tesla T1, however not at the same time as all but one of my CIEMs.  From memory, I would say the LS8 is the front runner and the JH16 is in the ball park as is the NT-6.  None are exactly as I remember the T1 though, but those are closer than other CIEMs that have warmer sounds such as the SE 5-way, ACS T1 Live!, and EM4.

Apr 5, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #8 of 18

Quote:

I used to own the Tesla T1, however not at the same time as all but one of my CIEMs.  From memory, I would say the LS8 is the front runner and the JH16 is in the ball park as is the NT-6.  None are exactly as I remember the T1 though, but those are closer than other CIEMs that have warmer sounds such as the SE 5-way, ACS T1 Live!, and EM4.

Thanks Joe! Your articles are very helpful. I thought Starky would be close.

Apr 5, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #11 of 18
I actually liked the FitEar Private 333 demo a lot. Mids are warm but very clear, with a brighter balance to the upper mids and treble, and decent bass punch. Soundstage width is also impressive. If it weren't for the extreme pricing, I would've ordered the 333 a long time ago. The T1 is also my favorite TOTL dynamic full-sized headphone.

Apr 5, 2012 at 4:59 AM Post #14 of 18

Quote:
No, in Taiwan, but I just visited HK over CNY, so I remember it quite well.

Nice! I've spent time in Mingo but no chance in Jaben HK. Would love to pay a visit later!

Btw, I always read quality source from TW, very helpful and impressive. Really love the trip to TW sometimes ago, would love to pay a visit again later.

Apr 5, 2012 at 5:07 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:
  Nice! I've spent time in Mingo but no chance in Jaben HK. Would love to pay a visit later! Btw, I always read quality source from TW, very helpful and impressive. Really love the trip to TW sometimes ago, would love to pay a visit again later.

You mean like Mobile01 or AndAudio? I wouldn't know, because it strains my brain to read that much Chinese! That's why I'm on head-fi haha... I actually don't trust either source, however. I'd say HK sources are better. I have met a few people who do really know their stuff, but they're few and far in between. I feel there is a higher density of knowledgeable individuals in HK, because of its audiophile pedigree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back