Need advice on choosing a closed back portable over ear headphone
Sep 29, 2013 at 4:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

TheCodeOfLife

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I need some help with choosing a pair of over ear headphones. i have been lurking in the forums for quite some time now and decided to create an account because there is nobody around me who is knowledgeable about these stuff, and the shop owners just do whatever they can to make me buy their stuff.

I'm looking for something to use on the go, so it should isolate well. Oh yeah, and i listen to classical music, electronic music, music from movies(dunno what genre this belongs to),and sometimes rock. I very seldom listen to rap or hip hop so i don't think that bass is that important. My budget ranges from 150 to 300 dollars, but really, the cheaper the better. Durability is an issue because one of my old headphones broke and i don't want that to happen again, so please recommend me something built like a tank. Also, removable cables and padding are very welcome.

Thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 29, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #2 of 17
Update: I found a pair of headphones for sale my house called the pro 550, it by this brand called ultrasone. Are they any good? There is also the custom one pros by beyerdynamic but i was told they were bassy by the shop owners and i had bad experiences with bassy headphones before (bowers and wlkins p3) as they hurt my ears.

Sep 29, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #4 of 17
I have a pair of B&W's P5 I find it quite comfortable to wear and it isolates outside noises well. It's $300 a pair. Some people might say it's pricy as considering its sound quality, but I like the sound and build quality together. It is an aluminium, steels and leather construction which is comfort and durable. It suites classical, acoustic very well, and most genre will sound good.

Another recommendation might be Bose QuietComfort. I heard a lot people taking about this being very good on isolating noise and comfort.

In my opinion, P3 is not quite bass heavy consider other brands, maybe it does not isolate well and you have to turn up the volume.

Sep 30, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #5 of 17
You see, I'm currently looking for an over ear headphone, and the p5 is an on ear. And I don't think kef is available in my country. Here, we have beyerdynamic, audiotechnica(a few models I guess), ultrasone, Sony, akg, bose, koss,vmoda, jvc, and shure. Others aren't worth mentioning in my opinion. Things like beats. We also have grades but they are open backed :frowning2:

Sep 30, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #7 of 17
The Ultrasone pro 500 are really bassy, I have a rebranded version of them and love them for EDM/Dubstep.  Some people say the highs are harsh but it's worth it to me for the bass.  If you want a budget option you can get some superlux headphones.. 661 or 681 evo..  I think the 664 just came out but I don't see it in stock yet

Sep 30, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #8 of 17
Thanks for the feedback. I typed it wrongly in the original post sorry it's the ultrasone pro 550. If we're sill talking about the same headphone lol. However I also read from some that the pro 550 was one of the most tame headphones from ultrasone, that's why I chose it. I had a bassy headphone before, it's the b&w p3. That was so bassy, after half an hour it made my ears hurt. I think the padding on it also contributed to the aching. If the bass and the treble are extremely strong on the pro 550, please let me know. I wouldn't want that. If it's just a little bit emphasized, it's fine.

Sep 30, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #10 of 17
  Oh yeah, forgot to tell you guys, i'm planning on using those headphones for long listening so please, something comfortable
biggrin.gif

I've got a Shure 840 [Modded] ($135 shipped US)  for sale, It's comfy and the mods give it a very LINEAR and transparent sound, which means it works with any genre, plus if you need more bass, the linear sound of it [after mods] really makes it a great canidate for bass boosting! Something like a Fiio E11 would give you more than enough bass :3 

Still it might be just what your looking for, a more balanced headphone. No excessive anything ;3

There is also the Sound Magic Hp 100 and Akg K550

and you can always browse the Head Fi for sale thread for other used recommendation headphones! Which is how I get new cans, as I make a new friend everytime I make a transaction! That and no one takes care of headphones like AudioPhiles

Still if you don't like buying used, I found the Sound Magics to be VERY well built and they had their own carrying case! For a little extra protection on the go

Oct 1, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #11 of 17
My country doesn't sell soundmagic :frowning2: the shure's were one of my choices and then people were talking about its durability and comfort issues so I gave up on that. Sibilance was also reported soo...

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #12 of 17
My country doesn't sell soundmagic
frown.gif
the shure's were one of my choices and then people were talking about its durability and comfort issues so I gave up on that. Sibilance was also reported soo...

Indeed, thankfully I'm selling a MOdded Shure 840, no siblance and they where talking mostly about the Shure 940, The 940 unlike the 840, is built poorly. My Shure 840 like most is built very well. Rugged build and comfy. Still I've not heard the 940. but the 840 [modded] sounds a little more natrual than the Sound Magic Hp100 and is built just as well imo 

you can look at my classified here I think'd you'd enjoy the 840 stock or my modded one

Oct 1, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #13 of 17
My country doesn't sell soundmagic :frowning2: the shure's were one of my choices and then people were talking about its durability and comfort issues so I gave up on that. Sibilance was also reported soo...

Unless you see lots of people complaining about it, I wouldn't worry about occasional sibilance reports since a lot of people can't tell the difference between sibilance in the recording and in the headphones. More detailed headphones are going to make poor recordings more apparent because of how they contrast with good recordings. I took the advice from someone long ago just not to listen for sibilance and learned to mostly tune it out in poor recordings.

Soundmagic HP100s can be purchased directly from HongKong via Ebay. So most likely you can get them in your country.

Check the Innerfidelity Wall of Fame for other headphones to consider. Most in the list link to full reviews:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-ear-pad-sealed

Oct 2, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #14 of 17
Thanks guys. Not sure why but my parents hate ordering online and I'm still a minor so I don't get much authority around here. Yeah so soundmagic is out of the question. The only way I'm allowed to get something I want is to buy them myself in local stores. Haha I did find the shure srh840s in a local store though and they allowed auditioning, yay. I'm going to test them out and see if like like them :D

Oct 2, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #15 of 17
Thanks guys. Not sure why but my parents hate ordering online and I'm still a minor so I don't get much authority around here. Yeah so soundmagic is out of the question. The only way I'm allowed to get something I want is to buy them myself in local stores. Haha I did find the shure srh840s in a local store though and they allowed auditioning, yay. I'm going to test them out and see if like like them
biggrin.gif

Nice best of luck to ya! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back