Need Advice on Buying First Record Player
Aug 31, 2010 at 4:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

gaobi

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in beginning a vinyl record collection and I'm looking for a good record player. A good friend recommended this forum to me so any help would be greatly appreciated.

The most important quality I'm looking for is great audio quality. I plan to just use the record player to listen to vinyl records and don't need any other functions. My budget is around $500 for the turntable itself (not including the price for a cartridge).

I've been looking around and was extremely interested in the TECHNICS SL-1200MK2 turntable. However, since I have no experience, I'm afraid that the turntable will be excessive for my needs.

Could you provide any suggestions on brands or specific models of record players I should look at? And where would you recommend buying from?

Thank you :)

Aug 31, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #2 of 8
I'd try looking for a used Technique 1200. I found one used at Guitar Center for around $350 dollars. And since Technique is going out of business, they will only get more expensive. 

If I had the money, I would definitely go on the hunt for one. But, for now, I'm stuck with my Audio Technica AT LP60. 

Aug 31, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #3 of 8
The Technics 1200 is highly regarded, reliable, and offers some upgrade paths as it can fit a rega arm if you want;

The standard one is rather heavy and would match well with a low compliance cart like the Dl-103, which is also one of the best bargains in audio, so i'd go for that combination if you can also afford a stepup transformer or a good active phono preamp to deal with the Denon's low output.

I think it'll be a well performing rig, and if you find an used 1200 you could stay under around 500$ including crtridge.

Another option would be something from the Pro-Ject lineup, a Debut or X-pression III, paired with a good MM cart like a 440Mla, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Goldring 2500

Aug 31, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #4 of 8
Thank you so much for the quick responses. 

This is a silly question, but do most of these turntables come with phono preamps or cartridges? If so, is it usually better to switch the stock options with alternative options?

(I plan to do more research tomorrow, with the help of all of your responses).

Aug 31, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #5 of 8
The Technics is a competent 'table, but $500 will get you a used Rega Planar 3/P3. In comparing the two, I preferred the Rega and picked one up. The Rega arms are some of the best out there and deliver great sound. There's also a cottage industry of tweaks/upgrades for Rega decks. Counterweights, platters, subplatters, everything. You can run one stock, but you can also endlessly tweak them to get whatever sound you're after.

I usually run the Orbe, but I also have almost enough Rega parts to build a Planar 3. It's a bit down the list of projects these days, but I'm planning to assemble all of them into a custom deck for a second system.

Aug 31, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #6 of 8
I bought a pair of Technics 1210 nearly 20 years ago and they are still good as new. I have come to love them deeply. Solid, reliable, easy to set up and use, easy to maintain and find spares. Totally immune  to feedback and other enviromental factors, great resale value. Flat and uncoloured sound.  Even tweakable nowadays if that is your bag. It's a proverbial no-brainer.

Before that I had gone through 7 different 'audiophile' quality belt drive decks including models from Dual, Linn & Thorens. They all broke down or failed to satisfy in some other way. The only TT I would consider buying 2nd hand, particularly if it involved mailing, are the Technics. It's just too risky.

They will doubtless come supplied with a Stanton 500AL cartridge. This is designed for club use. Sturdy build and an emphasis on strong bass. You can get something better for home use quite inexpensively. I like the Audio Technica moving magnet range but after louspeakers the cartridge will have the greatest effect on the overall system sound so shop around.

As someone above already noted the venerable low output moving coil Denon DL-103 is a good match for the stock technics arm. The problem I have found from experience is the fact that you really need a phono pre amp fitted with transformers and this will inevitably push up the price alarmingly. I tried at first to do it on the cheap with a Cambridge Audio 640P with disappointing results. 2-3 dB of noise below 120Hz on unity gain. CA exchanged the unit for me but they are all the same. Too little gain for optimum performance.

Sep 1, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for all the responses so far. I just received a 15% off coupon for Guitar Center so I'm going to check it out this Friday...just to explore.

EDIT:: I just took a look at Guitar Center's used equipment inventory and it doesn't have that great of a collection.. seems like most of the turntables are geared for DJs rather than avid home-listeners. Can anyone suggest a place to look for record players?

Sep 1, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #8 of 8
Your best bet is to see if you have a HiFi shop around town...  Check dealer lists from Rega, Pro-Ject, Music Hall.

Technics 1200 is in fact a DJ table, but you'd be hard pressed to find something built that well for under $1000.  But yes, you'll have to deal with it looking like a DJ table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back