Need advice on buying a headphone with great soundstage and bass and easy on the ear drum
Dec 18, 2008 at 2:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

effectic

Banned
Hello good day,

I would like to purchase a new set of cans, I am interested in very good bass such as lots of bass. I also want liquid mids and excellent highs crystal clear.

Please follow me here I want a speaker type sound I do not want any studio monitor I had the HD 280 PRO and I sold them cause they were a turn off it certainly was not enjoyable and it just made me hate music. With that said I have had the pleasure of hearing a HD555 and it sounded fantastic and I am hoping the S Logic feature on the Ultrasone would give a nice fun surround enjoyable experience but at the same time being closed and yet having phenomenal bass.

I listen to nearly every kind of music which includes Rap, Hip Hop, Rock, Trance, Classical, Jazz. But most bass intensive music.

I would like to know how does the Ultrasone 780 stack up against the 580 and if the 780 is worth the money and does that S logic feature really work?
Will they sound like a real surround system loud speaker?

I also have my eyes set on a set of 5.1 Logitech Z5500 speaker and I believe they may be much better value for money than a pair of headphones. But I would like guidance from head fi as to what decision should I make.

In closing they should be laid back and not upfront as that causes my ears to pain.

Thanks!!!

Dec 18, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #2 of 53
Go and audition the Ultrasone's, they will be quite different from the Sennheisers you're talking about

as far as those Logitech speakers, the general consenous is going to be that you'd be wasting money on them, and that a good pair of headphones will be much more accurate and detailed than any speakers at that price range could ever be

Dec 18, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #3 of 53
S logic = marketing garbage, don't care too much about it.

Ultrasone 780 = very impressive bass. Very UNimpressive mids, recessed and muddy. Highs are a bit on the plasticky side.

You might want to consider the D2000 too. Yeah, the mids are a bit recessed too, but I think it's closer to what you are looking for.

Dec 18, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #5 of 53
Ultrasone would probably be a better choice for him, the d2000 if they are like the d7000 may be a bit too laid back for his music.

Dec 18, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #6 of 53
The D2000 is really expensive I doubt my budget will reach so high.
I also live in an area where I cannot use speakers cause of the noise.

I have seen the Logitech Z5500 speaker set and they look really good. Its 1000 Watts and the SUB Woofer is a 10 inch high excursion with 188 RMS. I was told it gives a good punch and is very impressive. it has 5 sats for 5.1 and a controller pod.

I read very impressive reviews on it on Audioholics who regard them as monstrous 5.1 setup.
So I was thinking perhaps I can buy the Z5500 and perhaps a cheap headphones but when I think of it I will not even be able to use that Z5500 so it makes no sense.

So I shall stick with the headphones as you guys have suggested.
Do you have headphone for the $100 to $200 mark?

I love the looks of the ultrasone but you guys said the denon was better. Is there any other type of headphone for around $200 USD max? My credit card also has a limit of $250 aswell.
But I want to keep it max of $200

Please note I do not want a studio monitor my Sennheiser HD 280 PRO was horrible it gave me a turn off and I went back using cheapo PC speakers it was that horrible. I want a headphone that may sound perhaps FUN ? Sound like a loud speaker perhaps.
But at the same time I want good bass.

Dec 18, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #7 of 53
I consider the Denon sound to be very much fun. I prefer my modified D5000s over my new UE9s (but I had to give them a go to see what all the fuss was about). From what I can tell, S-Logic either works or doesn't for each individual. I'm still mucking about with the position of the UE9s to see if it does for me. The nice thing is, either brand can be easily driven for good results. As always, audition a pair if you can first. If you're worried about cost, there are always people selling them both on here quite regularly.

Dec 18, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #8 of 53
You said that you auditioned the HD555 and liked them a lot. What exactly about them did you like? The Ultrasone and Sennheiser have quite different sounds. If you preferred something on the Sennheiser, you probably won't find it on the Ultrasone. The Ultrasone's S-Logic isn't anything special. They just changed the positioning of drivers. Its just through clever marketing that it sounds like there will be a night and day difference with other headphones.

About the D2000, I'm sure if you look hard, you'll find them for under $200.

Dec 18, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #9 of 53
I live in a Location where I cannot audition any headphone so I have to buy by guess. Based on reviews. I read the M50 are very good but one guy said it was not fun and he always reach for his Q40 first.

Perhaps the A700 Audio Technica will do?

Again I do not want to get back in the same position of my HD280 after hearing those I am frightened to even purchase another studio monitor.

Please advise me here on what to do. I prefer to buy my headphone from Amazon as I live internationally and I cannot send any headphone back. Once its bought thats it so I cannot make any mistakes thats why I always shop on Amazon.

Dec 18, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #10 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by No_One411 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You said that you auditioned the HD555 and liked them a lot. What exactly about them did you like? The Ultrasone and Sennheiser have quite different sounds. If you preferred something on the Sennheiser, you probably won't find it on the Ultrasone. The Ultrasone's S-Logic isn't anything special. They just changed the positioning of drivers. Its just through clever marketing that it sounds like there will be a night and day difference with other headphones.

About the D2000, I'm sure if you look hard, you'll find them for under $200.

I am not sure how to explain it but the HD555 sounded just plain lovely like there was some kind of surround sound as if I was in some kind of acoustics room or something so. All I can say is my friend owns a HD555 and I love them and I assumed the HD 280 PRO was better so I bought it and I regretted the 280 they were horrible. Bess was better yes but they were to flat I guess. Not fun they were just plain horrible it turned me off really.

Then I read about the Audio Technica M50 here and while I do like the reviews I prefer not to take any chances with studio monitors considering the experience I had with the 280. I guess what I am saying is perhaps its due to the fact the HD555 was open?

Perhaps its a problem with closed headphones?
My ears also never hurt with the HD555.
The HD555 sounded like I was in a special room or something so.

I read the ultrasone uses some kind of technology where 40% less pressure is exerted on the ear drum?

Dec 18, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #11 of 53
Well, without being able to audition headphones and without the guarantee of being able to return them, you're taking a pretty big risk blindly buying headphones.

The Audio-Technicas are decent. They still have a different sound signature than the Sennheisers. Is there any reason why you haven't considered just buying the HD555s that you said "sounded fantastic?" If you like the sound of a headphone, there shouldnt' be anything stopping you from buying it... Everybody has different ears. What sounds good to them may sound like complete crap to you.

With that said, you should probably just stick with the HD555s, because you said they sounded really good to you. The other phones you listed have different sound signatures than the Sennheisers and may or may not appeal to you. Since you don't want to risk hating your blind purchase, you should probably just stick with the phone you have heard and liked.

Edit: The Ultrasones don't really use any "special or new technology", its just clever marketing. Since you preferred the open headphones, you should probably get one, since they will be different from closed headphones. Comfort should be really important for headphones. You can't enjoy something if its hurting you at the same time.

I would just get the HD555s. They sound like they would be fine for you.

Dec 18, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #12 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by No_One411 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, without being able to audition headphones and without the guarantee of being able to return them, you're taking a pretty big risk blindly buying headphones.

The Audio-Technicas are decent. They still have a different sound signature than the Sennheisers. Is there any reason why you haven't considered just buying the HD555s that you said "sounded fantastic?" If you like the sound of a headphone, there shouldnt' be anything stopping you from buying it... Everybody has different ears. What sounds good to them may sound like complete crap to you.

With that said, you should probably just stick with the HD555s, because you said they sounded really good to you. The other phones you listed have different sound signatures than the Sennheisers and may or may not appeal to you. Since you don't want to risk hating your blind purchase, you should probably just stick with the phone you have heard and liked.

ow I am sorry I forgot to mention while I liked the HD555 sound I was not impressed with the Bass. I like very nice bass aswell and they were lacking on the Bass.

I was thinking since I do not like the sound of studio monitors mabye perhaps I can buy a different headphone even if they are not sennheiser they may still sound good?
I even heard a Sony V6 once and I did not like its flat response.

A friend of mine told me he heard the Audio Technica M50 is very very good on bass but stil sounds flat and is a bit of a turn off as music is no longer enjoyable.

I was thinking on the ultrasone or mabye perhaps AKG?

Dec 18, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #14 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by effectic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ow I am sorry I forgot to mention while I liked the HD555 sound I was not impressed with the Bass. I like very nice bass aswell and they were lacking on the Bass.

So you are looking for good bass and good soundstage? You'll get that with the HD600/HD650. At the meantime you can settle for a D2000, if you look hard enough you can find it for under $200.

Dec 18, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #15 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you are looking for good bass and good soundstage? You'll get that with the HD600/HD650. At the meantime you can settle for a D2000, if you look hard enough you can find it for under $200.

Yeah I guess thats what I am trying to say then. Good bass and Good soundstage.

I can't seem to find it cheap anywhere can you recommend me a website that sells discounted headphones?

Amazon seems to be a rip off these days.
However I may also still be interested in a review of the Ultrasone but would still like to hear a review from someone who owns them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back