Need Advice on Building Seamless, Wooden Case
May 5, 2009 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Xan7hos

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking to build my first amp, possibly a CMOY. Rather than opt for the mint tin cans, I'd like to build a case that is similiar to that of the Grado RA-1/ ALO Amphora amps.

However, I don't have the luxury of milling a solid piece of wood into a case, and my tools are quite limited (dremel, saw, router). Is there an easy way of creating a wood case that is seamless (minus the bottom which can be opened)? I imagined using 4 pieces for the sides and one for the top, and have the edges tapered like a picture frame, but I'm not sure how I can do that, unless they sell wood like that.

Any and all advice welcomed

May 5, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #2 of 8
You mention you have a router. Why couldn't you route out an area for the board out of a solid piece of wood?

May 5, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #3 of 8
If you build it from separate pieces of wood you will be able to see the joins and the change in direction of the wood grain.

To have it seamless will involve hollowing/milling out a solid block, the router may be hard to use for a small Cmoy sized housing but there are wood carving bits available for the dremel which should do the job.

Choose a softwood timber to make life easier.

May 5, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #4 of 8
Just use a chisel and a mallet. You can hollow out a block of wood fairly easily, though take care so it doesn't split along the grain.

May 5, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #6 of 8
just buy a piece of wood from the local lumber yard which will slighly be bigger than the cmoy case u wanna build. Then using a belt sander and a saw u can make a rectangular block out of it which is exact size as ur cmoy. then with the dremel plunge router attachement its a piece of cake to carve out the inside of the block... use a different plank for the top. if i were you i would saw off a slice of the sanded block and use that as a lid.... with exotic woods its nice if the grain continues onto the lid too with wood which doesnt show the grain its fine to use different pieces....

May 5, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #7 of 8
All great advice above.

To add my 0.02 cents, if I were to do it I would grab a 2x6" (maybe even a 2x8") piece of lumber which should provide enough surface for my router to hover on, plunge a straight bit down 1 1/2" deep to carve the area for the cmoy board and battery. Trim the wood as the last step (see diagram below, cut to the lines) which leaves you that 'case' you need.

routercasei.jpg

Mar 12, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #8 of 8
I'm looking into a similar project for my PIMETA amp. I have very little experience with woodworking however I do have the tools at my disposal.

How would one go about attaching the top. Would you suggest getting separate latch-like component or putting complementary grooves into base and the lid?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back