Need advice on an IEM
Feb 19, 2010 at 8:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Mr. Morden

Head-Fier
Hello forum, registered here as I attempted to find answers elsewhere and could not conclusively determine what to get. So I would like the advice of people here. Big erm - note I guess: I was reading a few posts on here that I found via Google and uh, notice you people like headphones. A lot. A lot a lot. Heh, I'm not a headphone person really - I like my surround system and my stereo setup - but anyway this is in regards to replacing my crappy Apple ear pods that came with my iPhone. They're wearing out on me and I'm certain anything else would sound better (just couldn't make myself buy another set before they started falling apart).

I was originally looking at full sized circumaural over ears but eh, couldn't find any of the models available that I thought I would like. I'm ordering online and cannot listen before buying. Criteria I find important: Accuracy, No tainting heavily (Be it to bass, mids, highs - especially not bass since most of what's available in this price range likes to be bass heavy), and isolation (blocking out annoying people around me I don't want to hear). As stated, I will be using this with an iPhone. My other limit is $80 budget, however I would like to not spend that much if possible. Personally I couldn't spend much more than that on headphones I plan to take with me on the go - I'd never want to bring them for fear of breaking them, tearing them up, losing them, etc. I will be using whatever I choose on quite a daily basis walking around, riding the bus, etc. Also - must not be white! I hate looking like I'm using those crappy Apple ear pods that most people do use...

All that said, my tentative list of finalists from the info I gathered on my own are the following IEMs:

Maximo iMetal iM-590's - $47 shipped
Head Direct RE2's + Fiio E5 amp - $46 shipped
Etmyotic Research ER6i's - $80 shipped (Reaaaally don't wanna spend this much but I might)

Again, that's not a final list per say, but it's what I know of to consider for now in my price range that seems to have gotten positive reviews (narrowed down from a large selection I started looking at). So I ask you all now - can ya help me out here? The only thing I didn't put on the list I thought about was a pair of Denon IEM's that were like $50 on Amazon, I forget the model but they also receieved some praise. Your suggestions appreciated!

Oh, last note - even though I'm not a headphone person, doesn't mean I don't care if the quality isn't good. Unfortunately for me, I research everything I buy for EVERYTHING to get the absolute best I can instead of just picking something and trying it like some people might do. Seriously, I researched computer keyboards, mice, speakers, LCD monitors (Soooo much on this one), LCD TVs, home audio equipment, etc etc. So please consider me a person who wants high quality (or as high as possible within reason) at my budget. I know a lot of people probably are satisfied with subpar stuff (that is, subpar stuff in the eyes of many people - probably you people since you have discerning tastes compared to joe nobody). I asked elsewhere and someone recommended some $15 ear pods, where some people might like okay quality given the price I want something that's pretty nice regardless of price. If that makes sense, since I don't expect top notch stuff for under $80.

So erm, yes - suggestions please!

Feb 19, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 28
Yep, the Maximos are a good choice. There's an iPhone headset version, too - the iP-HS5. For $80 the Head-Direct RE0 is a better option than the ER6i and you may also want to look at the Soundmagic PL50.

Feb 19, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #4 of 28
So what kind of tonal difference is there between the Maximos and say the RE0's? Also, please go on about the Soundmagic's - I see they are $66 shipped which is reasonable enough. Again I rely upon you all with far more devotion to this than I to help me out here, I know there are some differences between these and I simply have no idea what they are.

Feb 19, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Morden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what kind of tonal difference is there between the Maximos and say the RE0's? Also, please go on about the Soundmagic's - I see they are $66 shipped which is reasonable enough. Again I rely upon you all with far more devotion to this than I to help me out here, I know there are some differences between these and I simply have no idea what they are.

Actually you can get them from focalprice for $46 shipped with coupon.

Anyway, if you haven't already read this thread then do yourself a favor and read it. Tons of headphones compared, including the PL50.
The PL50's are good for vocals, so if your in to songs with a lot of vocals they'll do quite well. They're also really comfortable.

Feb 19, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by david432111 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually you can get them from focalprice for $46 shipped with coupon.

Anyway, if you haven't already read this thread then do yourself a favor and read it. Tons of headphones compared, including the PL50.
The PL50's are good for vocals, so if your in to songs with a lot of vocals they'll do quite well. They're also really comfortable.

Thanks for the link, that certainly helps. So I'm now at a toss up...Maximo iMetal iM-590's, Cyclone PR1 Pro's, Soundmagic PL50's, and the Head Direct RE0's...the RE0's sound like what I'm looking for, but man I dunno if I want to spend that much. I also really don't like that it comes with no case as I keep my ear pods and in the future my IEM's in my front pants pocket (cargo pocket). I don't suppose they'd get hurt but I'd like a case if I am spending $80 on some IEM's so they're protected to a degree. The Soundmagic's I'm not sold on totally, I actually don't like their low profile - but I like their low price and high quality given that price.

Also, what is this about the tips? I've never owned an IEM - so is the point that you can buy these tips from other manufacturers and put them on a different IEM to make them seal the way you want? And microphonics, what exactly is that? What is driver flex?

You guys have been immensely helpful already. I'd almost be sold on the RE0's if they had a case - does anyone have a suggestion for something I could use or do to protect them and keep them in my front pocket? They're not in the pocket with anything else, but I'd like to protect them from getting wet and such. Ugh, so many new decisions to mull over. Unless someone can help me figure out a safe way to carry the RE0's I'm gonna be stuck thinkin' over the others I listed.

Feb 19, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #7 of 28
An altoids tin can be used as a case, lots of other options, don't let the lack of a case stop you, if the cost is an issue, that's different. We do have to live within our means.
Don't let the driver flex worry you. It is a small noise that can happen when inserting or adjusting dynamic driver iem's, I have several sets that display driver flex now and again, some are pretty old. Never had a problem though. The maximo is a fine value, and while not up to the level of the RE0, it has some advaantages, it's a great iem for the price, as is the pl50. Microphonics is just cable noise transmitted to your ear from rubbing against you or your clothing. It can be minimized easily.

Feb 19, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Thanks for the link, that certainly helps. So I'm now at a toss up...Maximo iMetal iM-590's, Cyclone PR1 Pro's, Soundmagic PL50's, and the Head Direct RE0's...the RE0's sound like what I'm looking for, but man I dunno if I want to spend that much. I also really don't like that it comes with no case as I keep my ear pods and in the future my IEM's in my front pants pocket (cargo pocket). I don't suppose they'd get hurt but I'd like a case if I am spending $80 on some IEM's so they're protected to a degree. The Soundmagic's I'm not sold on totally, I actually don't like their low profile - but I like their low price and high quality given that price.

Also, what is this about the tips? I've never owned an IEM - so is the point that you can buy these tips from other manufacturers and put them on a different IEM to make them seal the way you want? And microphonics, what exactly is that? What is driver flex?

You guys have been immensely helpful already. I'd almost be sold on the RE0's if they had a case - does anyone have a suggestion for something I could use or do to protect them and keep them in my front pocket? They're not in the pocket with anything else, but I'd like to protect them from getting wet and such. Ugh, so many new decisions to mull over. Unless someone can help me figure out a safe way to carry the RE0's I'm gonna be stuck thinkin' over the others I listed.

Go for the RE0! I'm a frugal person usually, but I was in the same position a little while ago and decided that I should stretch because I might as well be happy if I'm gonna have them for a while. I carry them "naked" around in my hoodie pockets but I'm careful about it. Like others have said, a small altoids can fits almost all universal IEMs.

Feb 19, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #9 of 28
Ah, smart idea - totally hadn't thought of an Altoids can. In that regard there might even be something else I have or had in a small tin I could use, I'd have to look though. Kinda at an impasse though, it's mostly a matter of do I really wanna spend $84 or not. Considering they used to be even more makes them more appealing to me...AGH decisions decisions...Do the RE0's need this supposed "Burn-in" crap? I'm actually quite the anti-burn-in person, I always felt burn-in was just giving yourself a burn-in so you could get used to the sound and think that it was really good. I mean, sticking them on something and letting it play for hours - that just seems so silly. I suppose it wouldn't cost me anything to do if I did get them though so I might for that reason alone - but I totally don't buy burn-in. It just doesn't make sense to me...it certainly doesn't apply for home audio speakers IMO so I don't see how miniature drivers it would.

On a side note - isn't it amazing how there's so much stuff out of China now that is actually high quality? Lots of IEM's apparently, I recall a company that makes PC case fans that are highly praised, there's really a lot now. I suppose to counter there are lots of low quality products available as well. Just to throw an interesting cross comparo - how would something like RE0's compare to Grado SR80i's?

Feb 19, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #10 of 28
I use a Logitech/Ultimate ears plastic case (pic), which is pretty much perfect, but that might be overkill (it's $10+shipping). Altoids tin works just as well.

Feb 20, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

...Do the RE0's need this supposed "Burn-in" crap? I'm actually quite the anti-burn-in person, I always felt burn-in was just giving yourself a burn-in so you could get used to the sound and think that it was really good. I mean, sticking them on something and letting it play for hours - that just seems so silly. I suppose it wouldn't cost me anything to do if I did get them though so I might for that reason alone - but I totally don't buy burn-in. It just doesn't make sense to me...it certainly doesn't apply for home audio speakers IMO so I don't see how miniature drivers it would.

Burn-in doesn't have to occur all at one time; in fact, some people actually prefer to listen to the 'phone as its drivers settle and loosen over a long period of time to note the adjustments and differences in sound quality. Some may argue that the method of burn-in makes a difference, but what ultimately matters is that sound is being pumped through the drivers, thus giving them a workout and helping them to settle in to their intended sound signature.

Quote:

how would something like RE0's compare to Grado SR80i's?

Although I can't vouch from my own experience, I've always heard that the SR80i's have a brighter, more aggressive sound than the RE0s (making them perfect for rock music, in the opinions of most). RE0s have a neutral sound without being overly analytical; SR80i's have quite a bit of sparkle on the treble with some powerful mids and slightly more bass than the SR60i.

Feb 20, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #12 of 28
@ OP: Get RE0. They are $79 now, but they used to cost $169 and even at that price they were considered a good deal. For under $100, there is no better IEM, period.

The tonal balance of RE0 is perfect or pretty damn close to it. It can handle any type of music fine. Burn it in for around 200 hours to reveal its full potential. The treble can sound harsh at the beginning and mids can sound recessed, but everything clicks into place after 200 hours or so. Also, RE0 will scale up very well with better amplification and sources. After using RE0 exclusively for a few weeks, most other headphones will sound unbalanced in one way or another by comparison.

Feb 20, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ OP: Get RE0. They are $79 now, but they used to cost $169 and even at that price they were considered a good deal. For under $100, there is no better IEM, period.

The tonal balance of RE0 is perfect or pretty damn close to it. It can handle any type of music fine. Burn it in for around 200 hours to reveal its full potential. The treble can sound harsh at the beginning and mids can sound recessed, but everything clicks into place after 200 hours or so. Also, RE0 will scale up very well with better amplification and sources. After using RE0 exclusively for a few weeks, most other headphones will sound unbalanced in one way or another by comparison.

It shouldn't take that long to fully burn in. I don't know about burn in (can't make up my mind), but the RE0s get better and more "coherent" the longer you have them for. Yeah, they don't handle dynamics the best and the soundstage is not as great as it could be (for that you should get the RE1) but if you want it all you would have to pay a lot more than $80. The worst thing that I can say about the RE0 is that it makes me hesitant to try any other phones because I'm worried they might not cut it for clarity anymore (I don't have the money for those really nice ones).

Feb 20, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #14 of 28
Leaning heavily to the RE0's, but I'm curious - are the ER6i's bad or what? I mean I didn't see them reviewed on here, and as far as I have known before now people had recommended them to me. Is it that they are not as good as the RE0's for the same money or what?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back