Need advice on AKG K702 upgrade/downgrade :)
Apr 10, 2012 at 2:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

voffkany

New Head-Fier
Guys,

I own NuForce Icon HDP + AKG K702 gear. Unfortunately few days ago some of my relatives decided to use headphones as speakers.  As the results it was damaged and now K702 is producing a cracking sound.

As a temporary solution I bought Panasonic XBS for $5 dollars, the same model which I had 10 years ago… and I must admit I love its sound.  It is not perfect but listening to electronic & rock music gives me more fun in comparison to the previous headphones.  K702 is too neutral me.

So I would like to find a good Open Over-Ear (not noise-canceling) headphones with warm bright sound.  This time I do not want to spend more than $150. What you can suggest me to buy?

Apr 10, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #2 of 13
Have you tried any Grado in the past? The company is famous for pleasant coloration in reproducing rock music, but the sound signature is love-it-or-hate-it. If you can't try out any Grado models personally, avoid the SR125, which generally is less-liked than their other models.

The SR-series models (excepting the SR125) get my full recommendation for rock.

Apr 11, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #8 of 13
Ok, thank you all. I limited my search to   

Grado Prestige Series SR80i - $100
Sennheiser HD 518 - $130

There are many complains about comfort of Grado cans. Personally, they look too small. Maybe I wrong but SR80 has better sound quality than HD518 (this impression I got during reading reviews).

http://www.head-fi.org/t/584443/sennheiser-hd-518-or-grados-sr80-for-rock-and-electronica says that Grado is better for rock and Sennheiser for electronic music.  It is also a tough decision what I like more.

PS: If I had more free cash, I would buy Beyerdynamic DT 990 (600 Ohms) - $330

Apr 11, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #9 of 13
I think that the difference in rock is enough to justify the Grado.

I personally don't find comfort an issue with the Grado, but there's some very simple and cheap mods to fix that if it's too uncomfortable for you.

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #12 of 13
DT990/250Ohms get my vote as well. Super fun cans; the most comfortable thing I've ever put on my head, lots of tight quality bass, sounds great with just about all music. Vocals can be a little bit recessed, as the mids don't stand out over the bass or treble, but I never found this to be much of a problem. More of a personal taste thing, I suppose. I know people have whined about the highs being too harsh, but I never found this to be the case - they aren't any more harsh than the K701s and Alessandro MS2s (modified Grado SR325). The DT990 also have a nice wide soundstage.

If you're looking for something more upfront and in-your-face sounding, I'd go with a Grado, but otherwise the DT990 is my choice.

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #13 of 13
Grados definitely. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back