Need advice in choosing HD 650, D2000 or DT770
Apr 10, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Poetik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned both the HD650 / D2000's and you should definitely go with the D2000's for the genre's you listened to. I wanted so bad for the sennheiser 650's to be my ultimate go to phone especially because of all the encouraging reviews on here. I wanted to really like a more neutral/open sound but after I heard the beauty of a Denon I knew that I had to have one. Sure the HD650 is a great headphone and all but I'm not a person who spends his evenings listening to Beethoven or the lords of the rings soundtrack.

Also feel free to mess with the EQ (I was real adamant about not touching the eq before, probably because of the "degrading" of sound quality that I've read about on here) but I found that a couple DB boost in the 2-3k region of the Denons doesn't hurt at all. Maybe it does "technically" degrade the sound quality a little bit but I felt like it helped immensely with the vocals. After all the mid range is what most people on here knock about the Denons. There is no perfect headphone out there but there are headphones that can fit the basic essentials of what you consider perfect. I believe I found mine with a pair of D7000's with a slight mid-range boost.

To answer your questions:

Which are better for Hip hop, RnB and electronic genres? I would say the D2000 because with bass heavy genre's why not have a headphone that can depict the bass better. The HD650 is bass heavy for an "open" headphone which is not too much at all. It can depict a kick drum well but it's inability to really produce those sub frequencies hurts it in those genre's. I would say that the 650's do vocals a bit better and the sound stage is noticeably larger. To get the best out of the HD650's bass you need a nice amp for it as well. With the D2000's even though the sound stage is small you can always add J$ pads to increase it a bit. It wont be as spacious as an HD650 but it'll probably be the best a closed headphone can offer.

Which is more comfortable? I would go with the Denon's here as well especially if you get the j$ pads. On my sennheisers the clamp is a little tight (there is a thread which shows you how to fix this though so it's not a big deal). It's just that the leather J$ pads are so plush and leather so it feels more solid on my ears. I'm a buyer/seller by nature and with the HD650's I felt that if I wore them too long the earpad foam would loosen too much and my resale value would go down. I have yet to test out the J$ pads in the summer time though so I'm not sure if the leather will be a burden. I always make it a point to be out talking / mingling with barely dressed females during summer time anyways so I will probably never experience the cons of leather pads in the summer time.

Which has better bass overall? I would say that HD650 has a more accurate reproduction of the the higher bass notes while the D2000 reigns supreme in sub frequencies. I do like quality over quantity but when comparing the two in bass heavy genre's the HD650 just doesn't have enough bass. As you can tell I preferred the Denon.

(I'll add in one more for you) Value? As for as value I'd go with the D2000's. They are low impedance so you can run them off of a lot of sources. When I had the HD650's I ended up buying 2 woo audio amps because they need power (had to try a modded and unmodded WA6 so I could see what the fuss was about). This site is definitely not good for your wallet. I came to my senses (well sort of) and figured out which 1 headphone I wanted to keep for myself. I ended up going with the D2000's and selling everything else. I already I knew that with keeping the D2000's I would always yearn for the higher end of the Denons lineup. With reading this site it made me spend an extra $500 to upgrade to the D7000's, which later on lead to another $200 on the LA wooden cups, and which will probably lead on to spending $400 on a ridiculous jena cable upgrade. In a time where the economy here isn't it's best I still can rationalize a $400 headphone cable upgrade... Thanks head-fi.

Anyways I hope that helps man.

a very good assessment...great post.

the only statement that i would disagree with is that the d2000 soundstage is small. even though it is a closed headphone, the soundstage is more than ample. i'm very happy with the soundstage on my d7000.

Apr 11, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #18 of 31
I haven't heard the Denons but I thought I'd chime in a bit.

The HD650 I found was a great go-to phone and isn't just for orchestral stuff. It's great for that, yes, but I felt they were definitely good all-rounders. I use them for jazz, classical, rock, alternative, latin, trance, house, and chillout and they perform superbly for all of these genres. It just might be my tastes in coloration though, but the HD650 sound great with everything I throw at them.

I just love the cleanness they have with almost any music file, they really seem to smoothen things out. People say the HD650 is very revealing and reveals flaws in the source, but I found it makes less than ideal music files sound good. They have enough bass for any genre (though there are cans that have more and are better in some, like house) and they are not deficient in trebles or mids either, and do vocals pretty impressively (though again -- I've heard better vocals out of some other cans).

I find they are middling and sort of a "jack of all trades" kind of headphone, and are perfect as all-rounders. They are my current go-to can for anything, though I still go to my other cans for specific genres depending on the mood and how they do with those specific genres.

Apr 11, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #19 of 31
I guess there are two aproaches when choosing/preffering headphones based on music genres:
1. if there is a lot of bass in the recording (like with hip hop or trance) one should get a rather balanced headphones that will balance things out. the same thing about high frequencies.
2.an aproach I would name as "The extreme aproach",which says that if a certaing music genre has a lot bass/treble you should make it even more pronounced and marked in order to further enjoy it,or in other words...take it to the extreme. this is seem to be the case with headphones like denon or grado which many people seem to enjoy.
in the end it is a matter of taste.

Apr 11, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #20 of 31
Hi,
Crazy Carl, when you say worry about amps later I can only partially agree. If you don't drive some headphones well you will get very poor returns so you must look to power the things properly or be disappointed.
In respect to Senn650 or Denon 2000, having owned both I would probably go with the Denon for the music in question. They have great bass and a punchy fun delivery.
The Senns are better suited to lighter musical types.
As someone said earlier there is no one perfect headphone that will do all genres well, so you have to compromise or do as I do and swap between 'phones depending on genre. I am currently swapping between the Denon 2000 and the AKG K 702.
I love the AKG for acoustic stuff but they can't compete with the Denons on rock etc.
Then again the Denons murder my light acoustic stuff, so horses for courses.
Whatever you decide be prepared to want another some time soon !
A bit like women in that respect , but a lot less expensive !

Apr 11, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by alex30 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,
Crazy Carl, when you say worry about amps later I can only partially agree. If you don't drive some headphones well you will get very poor returns so you must look to power the things properly or be disappointed.
In respect to Senn650 or Denon 2000, having owned both I would probably go with the Denon for the music in question. They have great bass and a punchy fun delivery.
The Senns are better suited to lighter musical types.
As someone said earlier there is no one perfect headphone that will do all genres well, so you have to compromise or do as I do and swap between 'phones depending on genre. I am currently swapping between the Denon 2000 and the AKG K 702.
I love the AKG for acoustic stuff but they can't compete with the Denons on rock etc.
Then again the Denons murder my light acoustic stuff, so horses for courses.
Whatever you decide be prepared to want another some time soon !
A bit like women in that respect , but a lot less expensive !

True, lol.

Anyway after the replies on this thread I am gonna go with the Denon D2000. I will order it later today or tomorrow.

About amps, well for now I will keep on using my PA2VA2 or my Marantz receiver but when I have the money I will get a iBasso D2.

Apr 11, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueScorpion33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True, lol.

Anyway after the replies on this thread I am gonna go with the Denon D2000. I will order it later today or tomorrow.

About amps, well for now I will keep on using my PA2VA2 or my Marantz receiver but when I have the money I will get a iBasso D2.

YES..YES! ah ,I mean...good for you mate!
beerchug.gif

you will enjoy these.

Apr 11, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #23 of 31
Although I agree that the D2000 is better than the HD650 for your preferences, there's a few things that you should keep in mind. It has fairly prominent highs and this could be a problem on some recordings. Also, it is prone to hiss on account of its very low impedance - this may be an issue when driven by the Marantz receiver.

I would suggest buying from a seller that has a good return policy.

Apr 11, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by sohels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although I agree that the D2000 is better than the HD650 for your preferences, there's a few things that you should keep in mind. It has fairly prominent highs and this could be a problem on some recordings. Also, it is prone to hiss on account of its very low impedance - this may be an issue when driven by the Marantz receiver.

I would suggest buying from a seller that has a good return policy.

Ok thanks for the advice sohels.

Apr 11, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by alex30 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I can't vouch for the HD650, but the HD580 still sounds great unamped (not to say it doesn't get better with amplification). I know alot will disagree with me, but I trust my own ears over others.

Apr 12, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #26 of 31
Ok so I ordered Denon D2000 from advancedmp3players.co.uk yesterday and they have arleady shipped it today by FedEx UK so hopefully I will receive it tomorrow.

I will let you guys know how my initial impression of the D2000 is when I receive it.

Apr 12, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #27 of 31
I own Denon D5000s and HD580s. I prefer the Denon's for hip/hop and electronica, HD580 for the rest. I have run both out of a Marantz receiver before I picked up a Peachtree Nova all in one (I wanted the speaker amp as well) I felt the Marantz handled the Denons with more control than the HD580s. I don't believe you will have any issues whatsoever in your purchase. Enjoy! I know I do.

Apr 12, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueScorpion33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok so I ordered Denon D2000 from advancedmp3players.co.uk yesterday and they have arleady shipped it today by FedEx UK so hopefully I will receive it tomorrow.

I will let you guys know how my initial impression of the D2000 is when I receive it.

BlueScorpion33, I assume you made a nice purchase!
Welcome to audiophile world!
atsmile.gif

Apr 12, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #29 of 31
Thanks for the info, all. The comments here about the HD650 have been helpful in letting me decide that my next pair of cans should be the HD600, instead. Getting back on topic, the Denons should be perfect for trance, dance, hip-hop, and anything else with a 'fat bottom'.
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #30 of 31
Ok so I received the D2000 today in the morning and I have been listening with it for about 2 hours and I have to say that so far I am loving it.
smily_headphones1.gif

The D2000 sounds a lot better than my RX700s and its as good, if not better than my DT 150s but a whole lot more comfortable than the 150. Hell the D2000 are most comfortable headphones I have ever put on my head.
biggrin.gif
Its also the best looking headphones I ever owned.

The bass is big, deep and punchy and not muddy or boomy at all to me and the treble is detailed and not harsh, too bright or too warm and the vocals sound great and I haven't even EQed one bit (the eq on my winamp is off and the bass and treble are both set to 0 on my Marantz receiver). I don't know how mids exactly sound (I can only differentiate bass and treble lol) so I can't comment on it but overall the D2000s sounds fantastic so far.

At first I played the D2000 through the PA2V2 and then I tried the Marantz receiver and IMO the Marantz seem to handle the D2000 better at high volumes and sound a bit better/cleaner too. I also played the D2000 through my Fiio E5 and my cMoyBB but they are not as good as the PA2V2 and the Marantz with the D2000s.

I hope the D2000 get better with more playing time/burn in, but it already sounds great.

I am gonna burn in the Denon with pink noise at a relatively high (but obviously not too high) volume while hanging it on my banna tree headphone stand (I don't wanna put it down on the table lol), over the following week, is that a good way to burn in the D2000s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back